Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best metal for gate near ocean

Posted by alyx_c (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 23:19

We want to put up a gate so in this picture when you approach the house at this point you will be in front of this gate. It will be almost 6X6. The architectual detail on the side make it a bit weird. I need to know what is the best metal to have at the coast or what we do to make any metal last? I want it to be black or silver in color. My understanding is stainless steel is the best but I am assuming that would be very expensive? Nothing metal last more than 6 mo. At 2 yrs we have to replace all the pulls and hinges put on our fence by the fence builder due to rust. Thanks, Alyx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best metal for gate near ocean

Hot-dipped galvanized steel will be the cheapest solution. Make sure to tell the galvanizer you want G90 as a minimum.

Weld the gate and have the entire gate galvanized. Be sure to paint it after installation.

http://www.conspectusinc.com/downloads/Documents/Conspectus Tech Tips C1010 Zinc Coatings and Metal Studs rev10.12.30.pdf

o

" Be sure to paint it after installation. "

And remember you will have to etch the gate to get the paint to stick long term.

I would use plain steel, corrosion resistant primer, and two coats of paint then just count on repainting every few years and replacing at some point.

The hinges will be the first part to fail since no paint (or galvanize) will stand up to the movement of the hinges on the hinge pins.

o

Aluminum

o

Go to a metal fabricating shop and talk it over, ...best metal for this project is Stainless Steel 316, this is one of the purest S.S. and last virtually forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here