Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting stainless steel

Posted by commonground (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 22:09

I was cutting 1/8" stainless steel today with a thin cutting wheel mounted on a 7" grinder. I have the problem that it grabs in the open groove and brakes the wheel.

How can I avoid this?

Commonground

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting stainless steel

if you mean thin like 1/16...that is the wheel you need dont let the wheel get deep in the cut..just through and keep the sparks coming towards you, hold on tight

o
RE: cutting stainless steel

Get the thinnest cutoff disks that you can,045" is great. Also, try never to cut from the edge of the sheet in. Instead score the surface of your cut line, continue to cut this way and the disk will never be more than 1/8" into the sheet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here