Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxidizing Brass

Posted by DebbieInMiami (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 05 at 19:02

I was not sure which board to post this, so I will try this one and hope someone can help me.

I have a desk that has 6 brass bail pulls on it. What I would like to do, is just antique them or oxidize them so they do not have a gold tone any longer. To replace them with silver ones (which is really what I would like to do)would cost me more than the desk itself and it's not worth the expense.

Does anyone know if this is possible? THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxidizing Brass

Debbie,

This is your lucky day! Check the link below. If you need more information, just do a search for brass oxidizing liquid.

GG

Here is a link that might be useful: What you are looking for

o

Hi Debbie
Take a look at (kitchen cabinet hardware.com). Have you serched the internet? Try typing hardware cabnet in the address bar. Should come up with a lot of hardware companies. good luck bill

o
RE: Oxidizing Brass added info

Hi Debbie;
Look at the post ( down about 21 posts ) from yours. "How do I make it look old " bill

o

You might consider nickel pulls. They look nice, IMHO.

o

At the risk of repulsing everyone, if the parts can be removed, immerse them in urine. Check them frequently. The chemical urea will tarnish them nicely.

o

Bus Driver,

If your hands get rough and chapped, you can get a cream made with it too!!

GG

Here is a link that might be useful: Ureacin skin softener

o

And if it doesn't work, it makes a great addition to compost.

o

It'll definitely help you grow greener grass, just don't use too much or it will look like a million dogs have used your lawn for a bathroom!!!!!

GG

o

Compost that has been enriched with urea, and properly aged, would be harmless to lawns. See the Soils and Composting forum for more info.

Anyway, it's my understanding that it's dog feces, and not dog urine, that causes burns in lawns.

o

Nitrogen from the urea is what gives you that nice green color to your grass, but like everything else, if you overdo it, it just kills it from a nitrogen overload. Now since dog squirtz contains urea, that is what causes brown spots where your dog goes. Dog feces only make your shoes brown!

GG

o

Dog feces is full of nitrogen as well.

o

I have what I am pretty sure is a brass sink even though when I bought it, it was supposed to be copper. It was copperish in color but with lots of toothpaste left sitting in it from my son it started getting really spotted. I used some TSP with a green scouring pad to clean it and all of the dark finish came off and now it is just a bright brass finish.

I would really like to oxidize it or something to get it to look similar to the way it did look such as a copperish or even and antique brass color. My question is, if I can get the color changed by oxidizing it and it being a sink, will the water ruin the oxidation? Sorry to be so long winded!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here