Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing Sheet Metal For Painting?

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 17:20

I did a vinegar wash of a piece that's around six square feet. I'd seen vinegar suggested on the Net. I saturated a cloth and first wiped rather strongly and then rewiped lightly which left beads of vinegar throughout. After about ten minutes I soaked up remaining vinegar with paper towels.

The metal is 24 gauge. I'm wanting to spray paint it black. I've not seen anything noticeably different in the sheet metal texture. Should I? Does it sound like I did what should have been done to prime the metal for painting? Thanks, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing Sheet Metal For Painting?

What kind of metal (steel, aluminum) and what coating might be present?

The first thing needed is to make sure there is NO oil from manufacturing left on the surface.

Depending on the metal and any surface coating present an etch might be needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here