Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drill faucet hole in stainless steel mounted on MDF?

Posted by secondcup (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 15:43

I am in desperate need of help.

I have a stainless steel countertop (stainless steel wrapped around 1-3/4" thick MDF). I need to cut a faucet hole in it that is 1 1/4" in diameter.

I have no idea how to acheive this. I know I will need to mark out a center point and the circumference. I think I will need to use a center punch to nick the center before I start drilling with a bit that is OK to use on metal.... But I know I am missing things here.

Would anyone be willing to give me a step by step guide on how the heck to do it myself?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

secondcup

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drill faucet hole in stainless steel mounted on MDF?

You need to use a 1 1/4" hole saw. The only trouble is that stainless is difficult to drill because it dulls bits quickly. You'll want to invest in a good quality hole saw (or several cheap ones).

Use a center punch to mark your starting point and use the hole saw on a very low speed (maybe 350 rpm). Depending on the hole saw you may not be able to get through 1 3/4". So using the same size drill bit as the pilot bit of the hole saw, drill all the saw through. Then finish the hole from the underside of the counter top.

o

A hole saw with grit for the cutting edge will get through the metal in short order.

Then switch to a regular toothed cutter for the MDF.

o

When cutting stainless sheet whether you use a drill bit or a hole saw, the key is to go slow. If you are using a variable speed drill, slow it down as far as it will go and use some oil for a lubricant. Just a tad of motor oil will work fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here