Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a steel staircase

Posted by debwonger (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 14:20

I'm considering moving the steel staircase in my loft to position it against the wall (where the desk is shown, see pic) and open up the space. Conceptually it seems to be a matter of "picking up the whole thing" and moving it, then adding a landing at the top and connecting it to the loft railing. Ideally, I'd also like to remove the right-side handrail since it seems unnecessary if it's going up against the wall, and would increase the width of the stairs by a bit. Am I being naive to think it is a straightforward job for a good metal fabricator? Will they need to take it apart to move it anyway, so it won't be a big deal to make the handrail change while I'm at it? Any idea what I'm looking at cost-wise? Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Loft Stairs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a steel staircase

How are the stairs connected to the railings at the top, and how are they connected to the floor?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here