Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 oz copper sheet?

Posted by rockyn (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 06 at 14:03

Howdy all,

I'm a total newbie. Saw some copper sheet at HD -it was rolled up with brown paper and not really obvious as copper. Just marked as roofing sheathing for wood roofs.

Anywho, it was also marked as 3 oz copper. Where does that designation come in and what does it mean? The roll must have weighed at least 8 lbs.

And, would this weight have any cool crafting qualities or is it too lightweight?

Many Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 oz copper sheet?

Copper is often marked as oz weight. The weight is per square foot of material. 1 oz copper is about 1.4 mils thick, so 3 oz copper will be about 4.2 mils thick. It is actually rather light for craftwork.
Roof flashing is usually in the 16 oz range (22.4 mils) and up.

o

I bought some of that copper roll a while back. It has an asphault like layer sanwiched between the copper and the kraft paper backing. This gives it considerably more body than just the 3 oz copper would provide alone.

I got it with the intention of using it to band citrus trees to keep snails off them. Still working on that ;-).

You can get small sheets of sheet copper at Orchard Supply Hardware. It's not cheap.

o

Greetings,

I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to make sense of all the various ways copper sheeting is referred (want to use some for snail/slug barriers as well--5 mil or 36 gauge seems to work the best and be most affordable) and came across a really good thickness guide on basiccopper.com

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Sheet Thickness Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here