Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hubcap repair

Posted by cobblewood (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 05 at 12:16

Hello,
I am restoring an International pickup. The hubcaps are dog dish style with a IHC logo in them.

They have some dents & dings in them. Does anyone on this board do repair of such items?
I hear that brass instrument guys know ho to repair but so far I have not found any.

I can send dig-photos if anyone is iterested.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hubcap repair

Have you tried asking at a local auto body shop?

Another source might be Hemming's.

o

I took a metalsmithing class and I'm by no-means an expert, but you might be able to do it yourself.

The technique, would be to set the hubcap, dent side down, into hot tar. When the tar hardens you can use a ball peen hammer to gradually eliminate the dent.

o

Hot Tar? How does one get hot tar?
Heat it in a pan or what.
Sounds interesting I may give it a shot.

o

Hot tar? Maybe from a roofing supply co. I think it comes in three inch or so paper wrapped cylinders. If you ruin your hubcaps, get some feathers to go with the tar and come looking for jeremy ;)

I'm not sure what tar's flash (or even melting) point is, but you may want to ask the supplier whether you should heat it over a double boiler like for parafin, or if direct heat is OK. You don't need to catch that stuff on fire.

I've got a very stout utility trailer made out of a '68 IH pickup bed with the original Dana 60 axle underneath. Its got those hubcaps, but the center's are cut out for the axle ends. The hubcaps are very rough any more, however.

o

Rather than the hot tar (oouch) a bag of sand in a good leather bag if possible will work fine. Just gently pound out the dents then using a flat 1-1.5 inch piece of steel gently tap and tap and tap the peened surface till flat time consuming but works (poor mans english wheel). Good luck on your endevor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here