Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Brass Plating !!

Posted by frank1203 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 08 at 6:10

Hello, I'm in the process of redecorating my master bathroom and would like to keep an old polished brass Baker's Rack in the room that I've had for over 10 years. The problem is that this rack has tarnished and developed black spots over the years due to the moisture in the room and it is no longer very attractive. I have looked all over but cannot find a new polished brass rack to replace it. So - I want to refinish it or clean it up in the easiest way possible. What product or process can you recommend that I can do? Remember - this rack is not solid brass, but lacquered brass plated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Brass Plating !!

Cheapest way get some spray paint. They have metal looking finishes in all sorts of colors. Just clean and lightly sand/use steel wool before spraying. Quite a few years ago I was re-finishing a desk and was going to re-place the drawer pulls but couldn't find any new ones that matched the holes (they were brass plated and in bad shape)I found a place that re-finished them using electroplating. They were able to put the brass back on and finished with a clear coat. 20 years ago it was about $60 for 7 handles. I may be quite expensive to do that to a bakers rack.

o

What makes you think it's plated?
Try removing the laquer with laquer thinner and paper towels and then use a brass cleaner....I'll bet it polishes up.
Linda C

o

One way to see if brass plated is to use a magnet. Won't stick to solid brass. My mother in-law showed me this trick while antiqe shopping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here