Return to the Metalworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welder Selection

Posted by rdtompki (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 0:58

I've got 5 acres with horses and the usual assortment of welding opportunities too small to warrant hiring out. I need a 110V welder. Seems like a Lincoln flux-core 110V unit would do the trick. Typical application: welding galvanized hinges to galvanized pipe corral, the hinges being thicker than the galvanized "pipe". All the work will be outdoors.

I'm not too worried about appearance and don't have a portable generator so 220V probably isn't feasible. I don't see the 20% duty cycle as being a problem.

Does this welder choice make sense for this application?

Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welder Selection

Yes,but I recommend grinding the zinc off wherever you want weld. Never tried it w/ flux core,but it can be a bear welding w/ stick.Maybe you already know this,but drink a pint of milk after inhaling that zinc smoke.Gets rid of the "zinc hangover" real quick.
Mike

o

You might want to look at a Thermal Arc Dragster 85. This is a very compact and portable inverter that runs off 110V.

It is a stick welder which is good for less than ideal conditions like zinc coating, rust, dirt, paint, etc. You could use 3/32" electrodes with it which will put down a decent bead and use multiple passes when necessary for bigger jobs.

A stick welder takes a bit more skill than a wire feed but I'm told that most 110V wire feeds are a waste of time.

o

The Lincoln flux core IS the way to go. If you ever need a higher amperage, borrow or buy a Lincoln "buzz box" stick welder. I'm on 10 acres and have the same needs for a welder that you mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metalworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here