SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puterlady48

Excruciating Ovulation?

Puterlady48
22 years ago

Have any of you suffered really excruciating ovulation -- so painful that you'd swear you were delivering a child?? I've had it happen about four times in the last year. It happened this month. It usually lasts a couple of hours. This time it lasted most of the night. Doc has put me on birth control to ease perimenopausal symptoms and to keep me from ovulating. I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience??

Comments (146)

• catherinet
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I find ovary pain quite puzzling. I'm 57 and haven't had a period in 3 years, yet I still have ovulation pain. It hasn't been really bad for about 2 years, when I spent Christmas day in the ER for this pain. The CT scan showed just a small cyst on the one ovary........but it was extremely painful.
    I don't know if some of us just have too many pain receptors around our ovaries?? or maybe the ovaries respond too hard to FSH???? I just don't know. Being in menopause and still having ovary pain makes me wonder about FSH, and if there's a drug that could blunt its affects???
    But I do know that when I was 38 and trying to conceive with my son, it was taking close to a year. On one day that I knew I was "ripe" for conception, both my ovaries were hurting soooooo bad, but we went ahead and tried, and that's when I got pregnant. So I'm thinking in one sense, all that pain was good in telling me both ovaries were popping out eggs and it was important to try.
    So I don't think the pain would keep you from getting pregnant, in fact it might tell you exactly when to have sex........but the pain might keep you from it. Perhaps trying a different position that doesn't put as much pressure on your ovaries would help? Maybe even a standing position? (although you would want to lie down immediately afterwards so nothing would run back out.....but at least you could get through it).
    I have fibromyalgia and one theory about that is that our pain centers in our brains aren't right and we perceive tiny pains as huge ones. I've wondered if that has come into play, when I'm still feeling ovary pain???
    Good luck to you all. Its a very painful thing.

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

jennyk, I appreciate the support. I actually went for yet another ultrasound last wednesday. Of course, they didn't find ANYTHING wrong with me, not even a cyst. My MD is puzzled. However, the good news is that my pain was already gone then and it still is :)) Do I'm hopeful for the time being, at least until my next ovulaiton :( I'll keep you updated if my MD comes up with any other tests!!!

• Related Discussions

For the girls.....

Q

Comments (16)
    Vera, Vera, Vera! I can give you a book of my saga with uterine fibroids. I had a myomectomy in '94 because they were all on top of my uterus, then had a hysterectomy in 2000 because they came back with a vengeance inside my uterus. Before I had the hysterectomy, I had horrible periods and PMS. Th period that took me to the doctor for the subsequent hysterectomy lasted from a week before Thanksgiving until the second week of February (and most of it heavy and clotting...holy anemia, Batman!) My cousins on my father side who are all around my age all had fibroids, and my sister had one also (she was pregnant at the time, and my neice, strong-willed even then) depleted the fibroid of its blood supply so it went away. I had investigated several options before surgery (Lupron, which looked too scary, hormones-- which I don't think helped me at all...made the periods better, but the fibroids worse). There was a procedure that actually inserts some laser currents into the blood vessels in the fibroids to cut off the blood supply. I did not have this as I had too many and the procedure was still new then. But you may want to look into that. Keep us posted, or me, at least...if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. It'd be nice to have everything I went through help someone else :-) Linda
    ...See More

Excruciating ovulation

Q

Comments (6)
    Nora, I have the same pains. Almost constant - dull ache I would rate a 2 or 3 and when I am ovulating or on the first few days of my period some serious pain. Sharp stabbing pains like a razor blade on my inside. Comes and goes so unpredictably it is scary. I had a colonoscopy, ultrasounds, CT scan, blood tests and they have come to the conclusion through the process of elimination only that it is endomitrosis. I wish it hadn't taken them so long. I have been suffering in the meentime. I was referred finally to a gynocologist who recomended trying at this time to quite my female parts with birth control. I just started 5 days ago and I can't say they are working yet. Today is terrible! I haven't given them enough time. Gynocologist wants me to give it 3 months then if there is no improvement they will scope and biopsy to test for endomitrosis and most likely take out my left ovary that is my problem. Good luck. Don't be scared to go to the doctor but if you are of don't have insurance. Try birth control like me. It can't hurt you unless you are a smoker. Doctors don't recomend it if you are a smoker and they do have some side effects. I had to take them at night because if I took them in the morning I felt sick and had a wicked head ache. Good luck. I am still suffering and will be watching for your update. I will let you know if I have any improvement or the ever scope to be sure like I am now that it is my ovary. They have checked everything else possible on the lower left side of my body it could be and it all checked out well.
    ...See More

Ovulation pain started on day 25 of cycle!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi ladygirl, I really think your doc is right. Everything goes haywire during this time, and you just have to ride it out. I spent last Christmas day in the ER, because of ovulation pain. I'd had it in the same spot for about 6 weeks.......waiting for it to stop. Then on Christmas eve it got really bad, and so I went into the ER on Christmas day. The CT scan showed a small cyst. The ER doc said "That's not a big enough cyst to cause all that pain......but nothing else shows up". Well he's wrong.....a tiny ovary cyst CAN cause alot of pain. So take some tylenol/Ibuprofen, and just hang in there. I've also noticed that when I have poop in my intestines in the area of the ovary that has a cyst....it hurts even more. So I think the whole area gets a bit inflammed in there. And from now on, don't except any of your normal timing to occur. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if you had ovary pain during a period! Hang in there landygirl.........I think everything, unfortunately, is going as planned!
    ...See More

need to bring up headaches again

Q

Comments (22)
    I've suffered from hormonal headaches for 17 years. Sure wish "modern" science was more helpful, I've found out most of what helps by reading on my own. I think each person's case is different, so it helps to try different ideas. Also, stick with a treatment for a couple of months at least, some take longer to work than others. For me, these are the helpful hints. #1 - This is KEY. Take whatever pain killers you use at the very first sign that a headache is coming on. Take a moderate amount. DO NOT wait until the headache is bad before you take any pain killers. This strategy will avoid you having to take huge doses of painkillers that won't work when the headache has gotten to the problem stage. Then you will get on a roller coaster of painkillers and you will always have a low grade headache. This is called "rebound" headaches. Use over the counter painkillers to nip headaches in the bud, not tame a roaring one. Try to avoid getting the roaring ones. #2 - Eat small meals regularly to keep blood sugar level. Never eat sweets or refined carbohydrates alone, always have carbs with protein #3 - Watch your trigger foods. For me it is red wine. I can have one glass but not two. #4 - Watch your salt intake. Low salt is very important. #5 - Caffeine boosts the effectiveness of painkillers. It also upsets your stomach and makes you jittery. A little is good, a lot is bad. #6 - Having regular routines helps. Especially regular sleep hours. #7 - Thyroid can play a role, especially if you're having trouble sleeping. If you're tired all the time and having sleep irregularities, have your thyroid level checked. It doesn't give me headaches, but it made fighting them harder for me until I was diagnosed. #8 - My personal theory is that prostglandins contribute to headaches. If you are having bad menstural cramps, try and get those under control and your headaches may not be as bad. Try herbal teas for cramps before your period, and with phytoestrogens when it starts to taper off. #9 - I suppose exercise would be a real help, but that's a hard one for me. #10 - Try some of the new headache drugs. Imitrex pills were just sweet tarts to me, but the nasal spray works fairly well to take the edge off the worst ones. It's pricey though, so I try 1-9 first. If you can't afford Imitrex, try Vanquish, or for something cheap, take asprin 250 mg and acetomyaphin 250 mg with some coffee or coke. Don't start with 500 mg., this is for EMERGENCIES only. The best thing to do is start with a half dose at the first sign of a headache, and if that doesn't nip it in the bud quickly, then add the extra pill. I have both regular strenght and extra strength versions of asprin and acetomyaphen, (sorry, I have no idea how to spell the generic tylenol drug) so I can adjust my doses so I don't take more than I need to. If you're allergic to asprin or acetomyaphen, then just take one or the other. If they don't work for you, try a non-steroidal pain killer like advil or motrin. Watch how much of these things you take, because they are bad for your tummy and bad for your kidneys, and probably bad for a whole lot of other things. A little is good, a lot is bad. #11 - At the first sign of a roaring migrane coming on, arrange your schedule to get the quiet and rest you need. Don't try to be a hero or superwoman. You will only prolong your agony. Abort all non-essential missions, take a time out, and then pick up things with gusto once the headache passes. Remind yourself - IT WILL PASS. YOU WILL GET BACK TO NORMAL EVENTUALLY. NOBODY IS PERFECT EXCEPT GOD.
    ...See More
  • umnichka7
    16 years ago

catherinet, I'm so glad and relieved to hear that you were able to conceive even though having this awful pain! This was probably the biggest question I had about all this. I'm 29 years old and have a handsome 3 year old son. He desperately needs a baby sibling :)) So I will try to conceive even if I have to endure this pain during intercourse... It sure isn't pleasurable though... Maybe it's true that our bodies react differently to different amounts of pain. I didn't think though that I was intolerable of pain before. I went through almost the whole labor without any medical relief until the very last 30 min of it and I tolerated it. So my body must have changed somehow since then and now it reacts stronger to smaller painful stimuli. Who knows. Let me know if you learn anything new about it! Thanks for you post!

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Hi again umnichka,
    Maybe this is really crude of me, but if its so very painful, why not try to have your husband put his stuff into a container that you could put into some sort of applicator that you could insert yourself? I know it sounds sort of "unnatural" or not very intimate.....but if it would allow you to become pregnant, in spite of your pain, maybe its worth a thought? You would want to work very quickly, and then stay laying down for awhile to increase your chances of conception. Good luck to you!

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

catherinet, it is an interesting solution. I will consider doing something like that. It would also save me some money, since the MD office charges $200 to have this done :)) LOL. I thought about going for IUI but what the heck! Maybe your idea will work! Thanks!

• robbyrob
    16 years ago

lynn2006, I was wondering what you meant by "shedding your lining" and having two periods every month. I'm 45 and a few days after my period ends I experience a brownish discharge for a 3-4 days, similar to the end of a period. I had an ultrasound that showed two small fibroids and a cyst on one of my ovaries. My doctor also did a uterine biopsy that came back normal. I've been a little concerned so I plan to see another gynecologist for a second opinion.

• catherinet
    16 years ago

umnichka......what do you have to lose? :)
    I'm thinking of how I hear when younger girls get pregnant while having their underware still on during "messing around"........so it might not take much to get "enough" up there!
    If you can figure out a way to do it, you'll save money, plus you can do it more exactly when you think you're ovulating, rather than having to meet at the doc's office. Good luck to you!

• jkcmdc
    16 years ago

I am so glad I read this forum. I'm having my first ovulation today after several years of being on the pill (my husband just had a vasectomy last month so i went off birth control for good). It is so painful I even went in to my family doctor today convinced I had a bladder infection. When the results came back negative, I realized I was on day 14 of my cycle---right in the middle---and that it could be ovulation pains. (I even thought appendicitis!) I am thinking that's what it is, my body's first experience with ovulating in years...although, it's not specifically on one or the other side, rather like one big achy cramp in the middle, feeling stiff and swollen and painful. Does that make any sense to anyone? And how many days is this pain supposed to last?

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

catherinet, somedays I wish I was a younger girl... :))Maybe then I could get pregnant without any problems. But of course I had to wait to even try for kids after I graduate from college. The first one worked. Now something is off. On my next ovulation I will try your method. I certainly have nothing to lose. I even keep thinking that pregnancy would be nice just to keep all the pain away for a while. JK. A kid would be nice too :)) Thanks for keeping me upbeat. Your messages make me smile.

• donna0126
    16 years ago

Can ovulation pain cause you not to be able to have children?

• catherinet
    16 years ago

LOL umnichka! You ARE a younger girl! I got pregnant at 37 and 39!
    Good luck with your alternate method of getting pregnant! Be sure to let me know if it works!

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

catherinet, that is so lucky that you got pregnant at 37 and 39!!! Did you have the pain before you were pregnant both times or did it start after the first one?

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

donna0126, I'll let you know as soon as I'm pregnant. I've been trying for a while now. My pain started last year in August.

• catherinet
    16 years ago

I didn't have consistent ovary pain......just when I ovulated, and it wasn't always bad. It was just really painful on both sides when I got pregnant with my son. And that's when I conceived!
    It took almost a year, but it finally "took". I realize now that taking a year isn't unusual at that age.
    But I do remember how painful my ovaries were that night it "took"!

• vrnc_i
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thank God I'm not alone, although I am so sorry you are all going through this too. I hope, I get through this as I want my life back!!!

me_christina; I hope you don't mind me asking, have you had any luck conceiving? From what you described, I have the exact same symptoms and I've been trying to get pregnant for X amount of years and nothing. It is so very discouraging.

umnichka7; Good luck to you too when it comes to conceiving.

catherinet; Like Umnichka7 said, I'm also glad and relieved that you were able to conceive, eventhough having this tremendous awful pain, you also give me courage as you said that you conceived at age 37 & 39, which I'm 38 going to 39 very soon.

Anyway gals, have a good one and cath you on soon!

Bye now!

• umnichka7
    16 years ago

Has anyone been tested for pelvic congestion syndrome? I guess it could cause the painful sensations that are cyclical. One of my MDs though said he doesn't believe it's a real condition but there is some information online about it. I would get into checking it out more but at this time I'm concentrating on trying to conceive... Let me know if you guys know anything about it though.

• millymollymandy
    16 years ago

Hi Gals,
    Well at 41 and after suffering the same for the last six years it's a relief to know I'm not the only one! Although I have to say that it's sad that we all suffer this and doctors don't seem to know or care why.
    My symptoms start on about day five after my period, start off with a dull pain and then work up to an excrutiating pain on about day ten, with discharge etc. I also get a sharp stabbing pain in my bottom which is not pleasant and really stops me in my tracks! My stomach then starts to swell and I feel as though I'm carrying a balloon of water around in there! Along with a myriad of other hormonal symptoms...
    I have had a scan and they told me I had polycystic ovaries, I then had a laparoscopy and the gynae said he couldn't see anything wrong at all!
    There only advise was to try a low dose pill, which I did and what a relief to have a few months off from pain but then it started to really affect my IBS and I couldn't get off the loo... so I had to stop taking it and am back to square one. When I said to the doctor I thought I had a hormone imbalance she laughably said 'Of course you don't dear, you wouldn't be having periods if you did!'
    The only thing that I have come up with is that I think that it's the body producing too much FSH, the symptoms seems to be much the same as women who are undergoing IVF and suffer from over stimulated ovaries....

• anna2002
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I too have severe ovulation pain. But I have a more annoying problem during this time that I have not seen mentioned in any of your postings. This may be due to the fact that I have fibroids. I have painful swelling in the lower abdominal cavity that encompasses pretty much the whole area from pelvic bone to pelvic bone side to side top to bottom and all areas in between. It feels as though this whole lower half wants to drop out of my body, like if I give it a good pain filled push, it will. During this time for at least 3 to 5 days, I have extreme pain with urination and bowel movements. I have to hold on to my lower abdominal roll in order to eliminate any fluid or waste or even to make it to the bathroom. I am guessing that this is because every thing in there is so painfully tender and the space created from eliminating waste causes everything to suddenly shift. Holding on to it prevents things from shifting so fast and relieves the pressure of weight on the tender areas. When there is something in my bladder, it feels so heavy and full and painful, like I have been holding it for a day and have to go immediately. Most times not much comes out. Does anyone else have this problem?

My doctor attributes all this and my heavy and long periods to my fibroids. Apparently they are causing me to be in estrogen overload.

This month has been particularly extreme. 90% of my periods since I turned 40 (now 43) last for a minimum of two weeks but can flow right into the next one. This one has just entered the third week. After about the first 8 to 12 hours of my periods, they kick into high flow time lasting for about 8 to 12 hours. Outside of this high flow time regular tampons work for me. But during this time, I have been known to overflow the regular tampon and soak an overnight pad from front to back to overflowing outside of my clothes in little over an hour. This month after the high flow phase, I started having upper abdominal pains like my stomach was in stitches and the stitches were tearing apart. My stomach then swelled and became kind of hard. I could not lie on it. I am sure I looked pregnant. It felt like there was a big ball in it that was ready to pop. My period came to an unusual slow down. It was practically off when I usually fill a tampon in 4 to 6 hours during this time. I am guessing that my body went into some kind of preventative mode to avoid any dangerous level of blood or fluid loss. This situation has happened to me at least once or twice a year.

Well the stomach swelling lasted for at least three days and my period was on a light to medium flow up until ovulation time. Usually ovulation turns it off, but not this time. I don't remember the sudden sharp pain during this ovulation. But I had throbbing pain in the vicinity of my right ovary and the feeling like it was a tender swollen fluid filled balloon that was ready to pop. Then the lower abdominal swelling began and the pain with urination. But this month it came with a fever of 102, dizziness and loss of appetite. Also, the left ovary kicked in after the right ovary had subsided. I had this fever all day yesterday and had to force myself to eat one of my favorite meals. I wanted to throw it out after the first bite. Oh, I forgot to mention that I soaked my comforter in heavy sweat for two nights straight. I usually sweat heavily every night for two weeks after ovulation until my period comes on but this was more than usual. Today I am just getting waves of fever every now and then. My left ovary is throbbing less after I took a Midol. The lower abdominal pain is starting to subside. It appears that I am on my way back to normal.

Does anyone else here have this painful ovulation, fibroid, long and heavy period combination? Outside of these types of forums, I know of no relatives, friends, nor co-workers that experience this problem.

I am sorry for the long posting but I have finally found somewhere to flush out my frustations and get answers among others like me.

• kimbaby57
    16 years ago

OMG I thought I was going crazy until I read the other posts! I have always been able to tell when I was ovulating -- usually just a little crampy and gassy -- but then about 6 months ago I, too, started to get appendicitis-like pain, nausea, gas. Today I was doubled over at work. Came home in excruitiating pain. Puked twice. It lasted for about 3 hours. (Oh, yes, let's not forget the chills and hot flashes at the same time.) Then I FINALLY found a semi-comfortable position and fell asleep for a hour. Voila. It's gone.

No solution to suggest, but at least I'm not alone. Or crazy.

• kat07
    16 years ago

Hey everyone,

I was reading along the forums and realized that I may be the first to have come up with a reason for that abdominal pain. My own would be on the left side and sometimes both sides but just recently, it took much longer to go away. I was worse at night and made me feel like dying.I have experienced just everything from the sharp pains and discomfort. So after a day, I went to my doctor and she told me that during the middle of the menstrual cycle or anywhere before or after, sometimes an egg/eggs falls out of the tube (not sure how that happens) and causes extreme pain because the egg/eggs is not in the right place. She mentioned that people with periontitis (i think thats how its spelled) will experience even more pain than other women without it. So she recommended ibroprufen (taken as needed) and that it is somewhat of a condition during PMS. My doctor was a woman so I am not sure if that was through her personal experience but it helps.

• kimbaby57
    16 years ago

A word of caution to everyone... I was completely wrong in my self-diagnosis of "painful ovulation." It turns out that I actually had a femoral hernia on the right side, which was mimicking painful ovulation. Last Thursday, the hernia became strangulated. Again, I went home early from work in extreme pain. Vomitted again. But the pain didn't disappear. Finally when I "uncurled" from the fetal position, I saw and felt a fist-sized lump on my lower right abdomen. Called 911 and had emergency surgery.

These forums are VERY helpful, but let's all be sure we don't self-diagnose ourselves.

I'm lucky I didn't have to get a bowel resection.

Good luck to everyone! Happy hot flashes!

Kim

• kathy71
    15 years ago

Hi I know this is late being it is 2008, But I thought if I was checking this out and ran acrossed it , that I too would write somthing to inform women.
    I am 36 and have had pain for 16 years and have had been checked by at least 8 different doctors and they can't see anything wrong. when I ovulate I am in pain for the whole 2 weeks and can not function,my pain last for at leat 20 min to 1/2 hour then it comes back in an hour or some times not for 2 or 6 hours but it comes back. I usally have one really bad day where I have pain beyond anything man kind can handle to the point my body starts to shake and I am sweating.but all and all the pain I have for the 2 weeks is a 10 in pain. you know how a doctor will ask you on a scale of one through 10 how bad is it ... well it is a 10 and like I said before one day out of the 2 weeks it is beyond a 10. I am so glad I am not alone in this.
    I thank you all for taking the time to write about this problem. There is one person I have spoke with and she had the same thing but thought it was her apendex and when they opened here up the saw it was not her apendex it was her ovary sitting in blood and no where for this blood to go.
    The doctor took out her ovary and left eveything else and she seems fine for now.The doctor did mention to her that she will need to have more taken out way later because she would most likely end up with cyst or tumors.
    This was good info because the doctor told her he would have never fond this if he had to do laporascopy (Through the belly button)and that he fond this because he had to open her up do to the fact of apendex.

God bless you all and thank you.
    Kathy from Michigan.

• frustrated_mary
    15 years ago

Has anyone had or have fibroids in the walls of their uterus and had anything done about it? I have a few and I believe along with this ovulation pain, I have so much pressure down in my lower pelvic region that I can't even sit sometimes. It hurts when I have to sit on the toilet and try to urinate or have a BM. Just to pass stool hurts like hell. I was told that I had a hemorrhagic cyst in my left ovary 2 months ago and that's what this was from. How long do these take to go away? Is it possible to go away and return in 2 months? Would like to hear from someone with the same things. Thanks!

• kathd
    15 years ago

WoW! So satisfying to see this forum. I am a 49 year old woman, having been in menopause for over five years. During perimenopause, ovulation was a searing, stabbing pain in my left side that lasted a week or more, also very uncomfortable low back pain. I thought I was dying! All the tests showed nothing. Later, I still had the pain but no menstrual bleeding. My doctors thought I was crazy. Now, I occasionally get the same pain in my side and my back. I KNOW it is my ovary and yet I have no bleeding. It still is a problem when it creeps up and can lost a long time. Thanks for sharing.

• lauracooperman_gmail_com
    15 years ago

It is so relieving to see all these posts. I have had the most excruciating pain associated with my periods and find it very comforting to hear the stories of other women in similar situations. Every period I have comes with intense pain, but at least once a year a period comes on so intensely that I literally feel like I am going to die. Although constantly present for the duration of my periods, the most unbearable pain is concentrated on the first day of menstruation. It feels as if something in my abdomen is stuck and trying to pop. It is almost always on my lower left side and is a combination of knife-like stabbing, deep aching, and an air bubble. Immediately after the pain comes on I have to relieve all of my bowels. It is usually accompanied by diarrhea, an air bubble type pain in my bladder, as well as nausea, sweating, dry mouth, light-headedness, and an overheated sensation. It strikes randomly and knocks the wind out of me. One minute I am fine and the next I am doubled over in pain. I usually have to crawl to the toilet and spend hours literally rolling on the floor moaning and panting. No position alleviates the pain. It scares me because I do not know when it will happen as my periods are semi erratic and the pain is so intense that I feel unsafe being alone when it strikes.
    No type of Tylenol, Advil, or ibuprofen have worked. I found pain killers like endocet to help about 60 percent of the time but since I am 25 years old my doctors do not want me taking them due to long term side effects. I have tried all kinds of birth control none of which seem to alleviate the pain and all of which make my breasts swell and ache constantly. I had a vaginal ultrasound which showed "nothing remarkable" and am scheduled for a colonoscopy in December. I am getting frustrated and looking for any kind of advice to get through the pain. In addition I have begun looking into the nuva ring. I have heard good and bad things about the product, as it directly releases hormones in to the reproductive tissues and was wondering if anyone had tried it before.

• sharon16
    15 years ago

Ohhhh do I feel all your pain. I'm 51 and have been going though this for at least 7 years. I am so happy a co worker found this site for me. I'M NOT ALONE. I've been though it all. Extreem pain and bloating 3 to 5 days a month every month. When this all started I went to family Dr she sent me for a ultra sound all was normal. When my Dr was away I saw her fill in and he sent me to a strictly Womens Med Dr who but me on The Pill, that was good for about 3 months and the pain then returned. My family Dr sent me away for a CAT scan. Everything came back normal.
    Then I was referred to a Gyn who sent me to get an ultra sound, again normal. In the mean time they all wanted me to take pain killers. I had a Lap that showed nothing, all clear. Now the GYN was ready to remove the right Ovary and just before that, he left his practise and made me an appt. with another GYN. He then sent me AGAIN for an ultra sound and wanted me to start the tests all over again. Not happy I did what he wanted. After I couldn't stand the pain any more I just went to his office and said something had to be done. He then agreed to remove the ovary, to no avail. The pain continued on the right side the month after the surgery. Very very disappointing. I have been to get a colonoscopy, all clear. Finally last month I was getting the beginning of hot flashes and no period and no pain, I was very happy. This month the pains came in full with bloating that was unreal lasting 7 days with different severities in pain. I'm totally at my wits end. I guess I just have to live with this.

• jewelrymama_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I've been experiencing middleschmertz for several years every month during ovulation. But last night took the cake! Usually it ranges from a dull ache to hard cramps that last off and on for 6-8 hours, but last night the pain was so severe I had to breathe through it like I was in labor. This time the pain went from my lower abdomen all the way to my upper abdomen and lasted 10 min. or so before fading away. Needless to say I'm pretty beat this morning. There is only a dull ache now, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear. I never knew there was a name for this or that it was so common! Thank you for your posts. I feel better knowing I am not alone.

• madgh
    15 years ago

Hi all. I seem to have the same thing. I'm 26 and am trying for a baby. About a year ago I came off the pill and since then, at exactly the middle of my cycle I experience these pains. They feel like a big air bubble across the lower part of my abdomon. Sex is also quite painful. It does sometimes make me feel like a need to go to the toilet or like I have trapped wind. I was a bit worried about it but as it happens exactly the same time each month I try not to worry. So pleased you all seem to have the same sort of thing!

• jaflans
    14 years ago

Well, I am glad to see I am not the only one having this problem. All I can say is OUCH!! I am 42. When I was 39, I started noticing abdominal pain at about day 9 or 10 of my cycle. I would go to the bathroom, and then lay down, and it would go away. It went on every month for about 2 years. It only happened at night. My GYN put me on BCP (Yaz) which I was on for 9 months. I did not have the pain anymore, so I was told it was ovulation. I stopped taking the BCP as I did not like the side effects, and low and behold, the pain is back, every month like clockwork since I have been off the pill. It has been 3 months now since I have been off it. Last night was the worst ever. The pain kept shooting on my left side (ovary), then would subside, then come back. It lasted about 1/2 an hour and I thought I was going to pass out. I felt nauseous and weak and had to put a cold washcloth on my forehead. Today, I am exhausted. I told my husband when I got up this morning that I am going to call my GYN and just tell him to rip everything out. I don't really want to do that, but what else can I do? I guess I am in perimenopause because I have noticed changes in my body and my cycles for the past 2 years. I don't think I can stand this every month until I reach menopause. I have tried ibuprofen, heat, nothing makes it better or prevents it. I end up taking a Xanax to relax during the event as it makes me panic. I never had this before the age of 39, so I guess because I am getting older my body is changing. I have no kids, so I am hoping that menopause comes early for me!

• wrightbiggerme_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hi, My name is Sharon I am 18 years old and I stopped my period sunday and it is now thursday night and since the day I ended my period I have been having excrciating pain in my lower right abdomen and it goes in my bone and down my right leg, the pain last for about 3 hours 4 hours and I don't know what it is since its been almost 5 days?!?!? is it ovulation? and why is it lasting soo long

• herathveiby_charter_net
    13 years ago

Hi, I just spent a day reading this whole post. Jotted down things that I will check out further. The main reason I'm posting is to add to the list of women experiencing this so others will also understand that this is apparently more common than what doctors think. Someone needs to study this and figure out why it is happening. I am 42, but this started for me right after my son was born, almost 6 years ago. Starts with an achy feeling in my abdomen that alerts me to QUICKLY gulp down a few Motrin. If I don't, the pain quickly becomes severe (it feels like severe labor pain) and like others noted, radiates down to my bottom--makes you feel like you have to go to the bathroom. The first time it happened, my husband thought I was going to die. I was in the bathroom curled up in a fetal position moaning, I couldn't talk. I let it go too long so the Motrin didn't help. Had to take left-over pain meds from after childbirth. Eventually, that helped, but the ache continued for the rest of the day. As I said earlier, if I can take a couple of Motrin as soon as I feel the start of this coming on, I can avoid the "labor-like" pain and might just have a little ache and soreness for a few hours. Hope this helps others and yes, it is nice to know I am not alone in this, especially since my gynecologist looked completely perplexed years back when I explained my symptoms. They did an u/s and there was nothing wrong. She attributed it to worse ovulation pain that can happen after having children. Since some of the women on here have not had kids, I think it is probably due to something else.

• csre_micronet_net_au
    13 years ago

When I was in my 20's and 30's I always had some pain at ovulation which started at the ovary and sometimes felt like it moved to include my cervix. It lasted an hour or two, was horrendous, but went away.

However now that I am 50 the pain has become quite unbearable - the ovary still hurts but the worst pain is in my abdomen. The cramps are unreal - it is like being in labour, and it lasts on and off for 4 or 5 days. I can�t begin to say how debilitating it is. I am going to the Dr this week to see what can be done.

• lamysticgitana_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have always had pain when i ovulate and during my period. But over the last 5 months i experience severe pain when ovulating. It last for a almost a week some months and it is more painful when i sit. Only my left side hurts. Is it normal to bleed?

• chefzimz2_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm 30 years old with no children and I've been going through this every single month for 2 1/2 years now. Agonizing pain on the the left side that is crippling and severe swelling (to the point where I look 6 months pregnant in a matter of hours) and after experiencing gallstones for quite awhile before having my gallbladder removed I can honestly say that the ovarian pain is equal if not worse for 3-4 days a month. I've gone to several doctors (as well as the ER multiple times since it seems to begin in the middle of the night for some strange reason) and all the doctors dismiss it as "no big deal" because it isn't life threatening. They have done ultra sounds, lap exploratory surgery and a colonascopy. They did find cysts and mild endometeriosis but weren't overly concerned.

• Annmavie_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I wouldn't let that go!!!! I would demand a test for ovarian cancer or have the endometriosis removed...that's crazy...Alot of times when they go in and start removing it, they see alot more that is there. Don't accept no for an answer.

• fkelly121_aol_com
    12 years ago

Well i am soo relieved to read these posts (corney i know) I have had pain ovulating for 10 years now, I am 40 and it's getting worse by the month. I have had 2 ultrasounds in the last year which have shown Fybroiods and when i was sterilised 6 years ago they found scaring but nothing else to explain the pain.
    My Dr has put me on Logynon BCP but after reading above i'm gonna stop (iv'e only taken for 5days), I knew it was only going to mask it and what is the point of making it worse??
    I was also going to find a GYN but again after reading all the above it seems we all know more than them ! We're living through these awful pains at ovulation. Mine are lasting nearly 2 weeks now from the 10th day of the start of my period. The most useful accounts i have read have been the wanting to go the the toilet in the middle of a bout of pain, it's almost as if labour is is at the pushing stage and you have to bear down to push for relief and i really am comforted to know i'm not alone with this. Another strange one is the dreaming of being in pain and waking up IN PAIN :-o
    Number 1's, Number 2's, An orgasm, getting up and walking around in the morning....you name it, dring those 10 to 14 days and it's Excruciating! (of course it comes and goes during this time) I look forward to the period to be pain free. It just, must be the whole area becomes so sensitive to the Hormones as mentioned. Another conclusion i have made is that; it is definitely the Progesterone that is being released that causes the pain because as i said i have taken 5 days of the pill and i'm in my Pain free stage however the 5 pills contained 30mg of Progesterone each, and low and behold after sex yesterday morning i was in agony for 10 to 15 mins after and awake during the night and with the need to push for relief, when normally at this time of the month i'm fine. I do hope this has also helped the next poor woman in pain...Sorry for the personal explaination in parts but i just want to help if i can.

• ruiz_alana_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I've read some of the comments above and I can relate, I have excruciating (and yes it's excruciating) pain each and every month two weeks before my cycle begins, it originates on the left of my stomach and causes my entire left leg to go numb. I'm often doubled over in pain or awaken from sleep with it. What seems strange to me though is the pain lasts for about 20 to 30 minutes and occurs for 5 to 6 times during the day, and in order for me to get a little relief from the pain I literally have to force my self to use the bathroom. I'm yet to find a pain killer for this or anything to help.

• goodnonnahs
    12 years ago

I've been having what I assume to be ovulation pain. It mostly switches from one side to the other from month to month. I can usually feel it coming on. Usually it's stabbing pain when I walk or actually sit down, though no pain when I sit, I feel uncomfortable pressure on my rectum and/or feel like I'm constipated. Lasts no more than 24 hours. Always happens about 14 days before my period. Had an ultra sound last year, ovaries were fine though they found that I had Adenomyosis (where the uterine lining grows into the uterine muscle). Around the first or second day of my period I get really bad cramping, pain in my leg, bleed extremely heavy and pass clots. I am 45 and started having these problems about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm still very regular, though my cycle is shorter than it used to be - every 24 days when I used to be every 28. I don't know if the Adenomyosis is playing a part in my ovulation pain. I am making another appointment with the gyn. Last year she gave me two options, deal with it or have a procedure done where they'd remove the lining. I'm sick of the heavy bleeding (where I can't even go anywhere without worrying about "leaking") and the ovulation pain, though like I said, not sure if having the procedure will help that or not.

• hawkhoney8_gmail_com
    12 years ago

As we all say, it's nice to know I'm not alone in all this. I have had excruciating pain during ovulation and my cycle for years now. I have had a pap, ultrasound,and an endometrial biopsy. By the way that was a horrific procedure. And nothing they want to do that procedure where they stick a camera in my belly button to see if I have severe endometriosi which I thought they would find with the biopsy. NOPE needless to say I am lost for words in what to do next. I am done trying different birth controls and do not want to do the IUD. Last resort would be the abrasion burning on my uterus or a hysterectomy. At this point I am saying take it out that is how bad it is and how much if affects my life every month. I have a child and my husband doesn't want anymore anyway. What do I do?? Has anyone been told to get a hysterectomy to resolve heavy and very VERY painful periods?

• blackpine1_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello everyone. I am 35 and my husband the same age. Since I was about 20 I have been having this type of pain. It is excruciating at times with mild bleeding. The bad thing is that we have never had birth control for the 5 years that we have been married, but no pregnancy has resulted. I feel so stupid every month going through this agony for nothing. All tests are normal by the way but fertility treatment is way too expensive.

• yme_yuhoo_com
    12 years ago

One thing I think some posters are missing is just because the ultrasound doesn't show cysts when taken after the pain stops doesn't mean there wasn't a cyst causing it at the time of the pain. The ovaries cycle so there is no constant.

• amaryllis52
    12 years ago

I have pain mid-cycle. I'm not going to post the details here because that isn't important. I've been to a number of ob/gyns and none have been able to figure it out, done lots of tests, xrays, 3d ultrasound, mri, blood test etc.

I just want to point out one thing. I'm married to a doctor. I think he would tear his hair out if he saw some of the posts here by women who are "relieved" to find others with the same symptoms as them. I've read through about half of this page an it is very clear to me that there are likely many different problems you women are suffering from. Just because you all have mid-cycle pain does not mean you are all suffering from the same problem as such pain can have many different causes. Do not use this forum to diagnose yourself. Get yourself to a doctor. I see little help other than psychological coming from the stuff posted here.

• Sammmy8560
    12 years ago

I feel you. Ovulation cramping is such a pain :C With all the cramping I can never eat on the day it happens, and with my luck they always happen on a school day so I have to pay attention to class through the pain. Sometimes its so bad I do pass out, fortunately though, it usually happens for a few hours after the cramping is over. Sometimes it can sneak up on you though, for example, I didn't realize it would happen today so I didn't take any medication. By the time I realized what was happening I had to wait 2 hours before I could get my sister to bring my medication to school.

• EllieHenne
    9 years ago

Ladies, I can give you my bits of information. About 2 months ago, I was in the same situation, doubled over in pain for 2 days, and having all kinds of awful gastro issues. I was eventually diagnosed with a ruptured ovarian cyst, during ovulation. Most women are hospitalized and they remove the ovary, but I was alone, hubby was on a business trip, so I just rode it out. I also now have something called chemical peritonitis, from the fluid that is ejected into the abdomen. It feels like I was kicked in the side, just below the ribs, no visual bruising, but definitely sore to touch. I am in the throes of menopause and had previously started to skip periods. Now that the cyst happened, I am on time all the time, and at ovulation, things are quite painful routinely. My gyno told me that the worse you had it when you were newly menstruating, the worse your menopause will be. How lucky! She has prescribed all kinds of things, but nothing works like good old vicodin. It's literally the only thing I can do to get rid of the stabbing pain that radiates from my ovary, down through the pelvis, into the lower vaginal area. It's stinks, is what I am saying!!

• mississlove
    7 years ago

Anna 2002 that posted on 10/27/07, what you described is EXACTLY what started for me in 2011. Doctors are useless! I have to be on bc pills to keep it tolerable, but the bc pills gave me new problems. Anna2002, if you can still see this I would love to see how you are now...compare notes?

• Andrea Jordan
    7 years ago

Hi ladies,

I am dying in pain with this. Last night I felt like I was going to die. I have had this pain on and off for the last year after my son was born. However the last 3 months of have had it consecutively. I have gone to my doctor twice, I have gone to an urgent care Centre and did ultrasounds and have found nothing.

My pain starts on lower left side. It feels like something is about to explode inside me. The pain moves to my lower back. It's so painful that I get chest pain, I don't know if it is directly related. I bloat I have the most miserable time going to the bathroom. When I pee, it's like someone is stabbing a knife into me. I get shooting pain down my leg. It is very difficult to eat and walk. Lying down flat is impossible. My stomach is tender to touch. I have been told I have IBS...I have had 3 c section and told that it's from scar tissue. I'm also very faint,Dizzy, and nauseous. I take 2 advil extra strength every 2-4 hrs even then it doesn't get rid of pain but makes easier to deal with. I'm really praying I get some answers or a doctor to hear me out. I swear there is something in there. I was sweating last night like I was in sauna. Pls someone help me.

I wonder if an mri with show anything.

Andrea, 29 yrs, 3 kids

• lizzzyjul
    7 years ago

Hey Andrea - it's Liz - have you tried an NFP doctor

• Kara-Lee Major-Miller
    5 years ago

Hi. I am a 53 year old peri menopausal woman. For the past year I have suffered lower back pain about 1 week before my period starts. My periods are very irregular so I have been tracking them to see how the pain in my back matched up to my periods. I can live with this however for the past two days I have had sharp stabbing pain on my left side. When I stand up it feels like there is a pulling from my ovaries. This happened to me many years ago and it went away in 24 to 36 hours. My fingers are crossed it goes away the same way.

• HU-534824341
    4 years ago

I know this post is really old, but hopefully someone is still monitoring it. Over the past 20 years (I’m 40) I have had 7 episodes of extreme pelvic pain. I remember exactly when each episode happened, becuase they are so traumatic. I’m pretty sure I have PTSD over it. It’s so bad I have been to the ER 4 times. I feel like I’m dying. That is not an exaggeration! It always happens at night, usually around 11pm. It comes out of nowhere and lasts from 30 minutes to an hour, then it is just gone, as if it never happened. I have passed out or had a seizure 5 of the times. I get really hot and sweaty, and sometimes feel like I’m going to vomit. I can’t stand or walk. By the time I get to the ER it is usually over. They have done scans and don’t find anything. I feel like I’m going crazy! I had an episode last week and went to the gyno today. She told me to take ibuprofen. Ha! That will not do anything! I’m so frustrated and tired of living in fear of another episode. Reading through these posts have made me feel so much better. I thought I was alone. Has anyone found anything that helps, aside from ibuprofen, of course. Thank you!

• Elise B
    4 years ago

Hi wow this post is super helpful and comforting to read, knowing I'm not the only sufferer of this pelvic, rear end, ovary pain! I am 31 years old. My husband and I are trying for our first baby. I have polycistic ovaries (PCOS) so I am taking a drug called Letrozole (it's like Chlomid) to help me ovulate. I have been ovulating regularly now for about 6 months, and boy do I know when I am ovulating!!! The pain is absolutely excruciating to the point where last night I almost collapsed and passed out in the street, clinging onto my husband for dear life. Stabbing/shooting pains in my left ovary all the way through to my rear end, my legs went limp and I was absolutely terrified. I felt like my left ovary was going to explode. And then 20-30 minutes later it went away, and I was practically normal again. Each month this ovulation pain gets more and more intense. If I don't fall pregnant this month then I dread to think of the pain again next month. I am worried I may have cysts developing because of PCOS and that each month the ovulation puts pressure and could cause the cysts to burst. I am seeing my gyno about this, but he says I just have this Mittelschmerz condition and it's nothing to worry about. He has told me to have an ultra sound test at the beginning of my next cycle before taking the Letrozol again to see what my ovaries are like at the beginning and if we can see any cysts. This is obviously really worrying and because I was on the pill for nearly 10 years I had no idea I would suffer from this!!! Any advice, or just words of encouragement are always welcomed. Good luck to everyone here on this thread, even the ones who posted nearly 20 years ago!!

Sponsored