Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Take heart.

Posted by stonyriver (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 07 at 22:33

This from NY Times columnist Tara Parker-Pope in her blog, "Well", 10/5/07.
---------
Are grandmothers an evolutionary necessity? The contributions of older women to society have long been debated by anthropologists. In the animal world, females often dont live much past their reproductive years. But in our world, women live into their 80s and beyond a fact that may be explained, in part, by evolutionary forces.

"Its the norm in human population that women are vigorous and productive long past their fertility, noted Kristen Hawkes, an anthropologist at the University of Utah. She spoke yesterday at the North American Menopause Society meeting in Dallas.

Today many women feel marginalized once they reach menopause. But research suggests that far from being a burden to societies, grandmothers have played an important role in the evolution of human longevity. Studies of modern hunter-gatherers in Tanzania, Venezuela and Eastern Paraguay societies that offer insights into how humans evolved consistently show that Grandma is doing much of the work.

Researchers have even measured the muscle strength of men and women in these communities and weighed the baskets and bundles carted around by them. Often, the scientists find, women in their 60s are as strong as women in their 20s. "Its the women over 40 who are carrying the heavy loads, said Dr. Hawkes.

The research is the basis for the grandmother hypothesis that may help explain why menopause occurs. The basic idea is that an end to a womans reproductive years allows her to channel her energy and resources into caring for her children and grandchildren, thereby providing her descendants with a survival advantage.

Until recently, many researchers argued that menopause isnt natural and that modern medicines simply have increased life expectancy well beyond what nature intended. But while its true that the average life expectancy for women was just 40 years only a century ago, recent studies have found the number was skewed by high infant mortality rates at the time. Plenty of women were living well past age 40, Dr. Hawkes said. Even the Bible recognized that women can live well beyond their fertile years, NAMS executive director Dr. Wulf Utian noted.

In hunter-gatherer cultures today, said Dr. Hawkes, "women are strong and economically productive into their 60s.Women are not being helped along by others. The flow of help is going into the other direction."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Take heart.

I don't doubt the validity of that. I am physically strong for my age and my size, and can outwork many young men half my age. My mother was the same way. When I was a kid, I can remember marveling at how physically strong my mother was. Maybe it was all the whops I got on the butt that reinforced that belief, lol. At age 45, my husband and I built our own house (actually built it physically, not just contracted). The emotional stress nearly wiped me out, but the physical part of it was not a problem.
Mrs H

o

I agree- I find that at 47, I'm having a hard time not thinking the way that I thought when I was 27 (minus the goofy mistakes I made, hopefully-lol)---and just for kicks: my husband and I are planning next year on buying a few acres and building our own log home- ourselves- no kit, just us and lotttts of books and 'how to's'- I guess I'd better start lifting weights in preparation- lol---but you know, the really nice thing about situations like that-doing things that we probably wouldn't have thought of 20 years ago? Is the idea that we know we can do it, and we're not afraid to get out there and make loons out of ourselves by trying~ (this is what everyone thinks we are, but hey- with age comes the realization that we don't really CARE what everyone else thinks!) ;-)

o
Alternatives To Help

There is a quality herbal company called MicroNutra Health who sell a 100% natural products. I have in the last few months ordered my wife Menopol to help relieve her menopause symptoms and help my life be a little easier. She is feeling better by the day & so am I.

Here is a link that might be useful: menopol.com

o

I do not think they allow SPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM here.....Bennyboob

o

Heh. Oh, bennybob. Were you thinking that the women at the menopause forum were concerned with your feelings?

Sweetheart. Run, dear. Run as fast as you can.

o

Sorry ladies your right I am out here. Just trying to help you out.

o

benny, you don't need to run or leave, just don't try selling stuff here. Suggestions can and may be helpful, but apparent pushing of a product is a no-no. Male input from time to time may even be appreciated at times. Now, I'll take a step back in case there are any flamethrowers headed my way, lol. I do appreciate your trying to help, though.
Mrs H

o

Oh no, it's not the man part that is objectionable, it is the salesman part. This forum is a place where women and occasionally men seek and find honest opinions, experience and advice about some very personal and often troubling symptoms. To come here and try to sell something is offensive. If I jumped to a wrong conclusion, and Bennybob is not selling a product but rather is a man who finds himself reading a menopause forum for whatever his reasons and simply wants to suggest what helped his wife, why, I offer my sincere apology.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here