SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_tx

psychological health and menopause

hunter_tx
16 years ago

I've been pondering this since my late 30's when I first started having perimenopause symptoms that were emotional in nature. I've read many medical journal articles regarding mental and emotional changes with menopause, and a majority of them tend to ignore that menopause causes mental changes, but experience tells me otherwise. Some of the experts maintain that good mental health prior to menopause tends to remain steady throughout menopause, and I have seen plenty of women in whom that seems to be the case. So... I've had to wonder if all those years that I thought I was mentally healthy I was deluding myself. I may never know the answer to that question, but it has spurred a deep interest in the human psyche, the human condition, the role that growing up, spiritual beliefs, and general life experiences have our state of mental well-being. I will most likely never seek professional services in the way of therapy because I think I would have great difficulty finding someone whom I think is really good, and that I could afford. It's a really expensive endeavor, and takes sometimes many years to really help.

Anyway, is anyone here really interested in this whys and wherefores of all this, and making concerted efforts to understand and make sense of it, or am I just eccentric and odd? Do any of you like to read books in the self-help, psychology, religion/spirituality areas? Have you gained any insights that you think really helped you? Do you, otoh, just hope that you get back to "normal" one of these days, and just try to bear it? I'm really interested in what you have to say. It's a fascinating arena of ideas to me. Please jump in if you are so inclined.

Mrs H

Comments (8)

Sponsored