Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Peri Symptoms Subside?

Posted by dee_can (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 18:54

I hate to start my post sounding pessimistic, but I have celiac disease (and many symptoms associated it with it), and have felt unwell for most of my life, to be honest. Ive also had problems with my period bad cramps, etc. I figured, ok, I can deal with all of this. Well, Im 44 and I believe Ive been in perimenopause (sp?) for a couple of years, with it getting worse and worse. Its exacerbated my celiac symptoms greatly, my facial skin is like an oil slick, Im getting acne again, Ive developed burning mouth (which I swear I think I could take any of my other symptoms over this pain).

Heres what Im wondering. Is it only going to get worse as I get older? When I reach menopause, are things supposed to stabilize? Will my symptoms calm down? (I believe they are hormone-related.) I know things can always be worse, and I hate to sound like Im complaining; but Id love to hear from people who have gone through similar things, and that they feel better at a certain point. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Peri Symptoms Subside?

Hi Dee -- I wish I could offer more encouragement, but I am in the same place you are and I just don't know. You're not alone!

I've scheduled a hysterectomy for next month. I've had all I plan to take. I will keep my ovaries, though.

Hang in there. All sources do indicate that once you're actually in menopause these symptoms do subside.

o

I don't have celiac disease, so I can't identify with your specific symptoms, but I think that as menopause approaches, symptoms caused by it (emotional instability in my case) tend to settle down and stabilize. Are you sure that your mouth problems are not caused by a deficiency of vitamins?
Mrs H

o

Thank you for your responses. Stonyriver, I have heard the same thing about menopause, and Im hoping its true, and that someone will confirm it. It helps to know Im not alone. Good luck with your surgery.

Mrs. H. Some of my problems may indeed be related to nutritional deficiencies. The strange thing is, I was pretty stable for years (not feeling great, but not as unwell as I feel now) and when my mouth-burning started, and other digestive and more intolerance problems started, eventually I sort of put it together that maybe these changes are hormonal related (therefore perimenopausal related because of other non-Celiac-related symptoms Im currently experiencing, as well anxiety included, which Ive always had).

I just couldnt figure out why my health would suddenly crash when Ive been doing the same (strict) health routine for so many years now. Its a mystery; and Ive been grasping at straws, I admit.

Ive had many blood work-ups done, and I had a B12 deficiency (which is a common deficiency with Celiac); but have been able to overcome that with sublingual B12. But, it hasnt relieved my burning mouth. Suddenly I seem to have many intolerances (besides gluten) it seems, so Im thinking some of it is hormonal. Not sure, though.

o

I know that one of the B vitamin deficiencies can cause oral pain and ulcer-type lesions, but I can't remember which one specifically. I also wonder if your anxiety and celiac disease have a specific connection to each other? What specifically happens with celiac disease? I've heard the term, but know little about it.
Mrs H

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here