Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my FSH so low?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 18:47

Hi all,
I had an FSH drawn recently because I've had palpitations 24/7 for a month now, and was thinking my hormones are still fluctuating. My FSH level is only 33.4, and I haven't had a period for about 4 years. Do you know what your FSH level is? Maybe its normal to never have a very high FSH, but the postmenopausal levels are usually 25-134. It seems like mine should be higher. Maybe even though I'm not having periods, I'm just not very far into menopause. That would explain all the funky problems I've had for so long.
I just want it all to end!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my FSH so low?

Hi Catherine,

I'm not sure if your reference ranges are the same as mine; but I'll give my latest FSH numbers. I've had my FSH checked twice recently. On day 3 of my cycle (in October 08), it was 31.7 (ref. range 2.0 - 8.0)

Then to double-check, I had it taken again on day 21, and FSH was 23.2 (ref. range luteal phase 2.0 - 8.0 again - gee, I just noticed the two phases have the same range...). So, both of mine were high. I was supposed to be in menopause; but since I've just had two periods in a 14-day span, it doesn't seem so. ; )

So, I take it the number is supposed to increase as we get further along into menopause, then?

o
RE: Why is my FSH so low?

Hi dee,
Yes, I've heard that our FSH continues to go up the rest of our lives.
I also heard that fat cells have alot of estrogen in them. I have alot of those! So apparently, my fat cells are giving up enough estrogen to keep my pituitary happy, so it doesn't feel like it needs to go up on the FSH.
I've been having nonstop palpitations for about a month. I had a stress echo in August, which was fine, so the doctor isn't worried about my heart. But I absolutely HATE these thumps in my chest. I'm thinking my hormones are still jumping all over the place, even though I haven't had a period for 4 years.
Are we having fun yet???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here