Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about using Progesterone Cream?

Posted by Puterlady48 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 01 at 18:04

I just bought a jar of progesterone cream called FemGest. The directions on the jar and on the web site aren't very specific. All it says is to use it 21 days and then stop for 7 days.

Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but I'm real new at this stuff. Does it matter when I start using the cream relative to the start date of my period? I am supposed to start taking birth control pills the first day of my next period (28 day regimen). Should the progesterone cream coincide with the first 21 days of the birth control pills? Does the progesterone cream in any way counter-act the birth control pills?

I would appreciate any information any of you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about using Progesterone Cream?

Using any hormone preparation including otc progesterone along with oral contraceptives is a dangerous practice. Although most otc progesterone creams don't provide significant amounts of progesterone, there is no quality control of these products and many contain much more than is listed on the label. Many others contain other drugs including estrogen which are also not listed on the label. I don't know what you are trying to acomplish with your hormone preparation(s) but mixing them is not a good idea under any circumstances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here