SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Cramping, but no periods

dee_can1
12 years ago

I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering menopause...

I've been in perimenopause forever, well, for probably 7 or 8 years now with the last 3 years being more h*llish than ever (but that's for a whole different post!). My blood tests more than a year ago showed I was *in* menopause, however I was still having periods. Further blood tests after that showed I wasn't in menopause - I guess this is common when you're in peri to go up and down like that in your blood test results.

Anyway, I skipped a period about a year ago, then I had periods again, although short ones every 22/24 days. Now since late Sept/early Oct 2011 I haven't had a period. However, I'm having cramps like I'm going to start my period, but it doesn't start. The cramps last a couple of weeks, then go away. Now I'm cramping again, but I'm having no period again this month. So this has gone on for two cycles now.

Is this common when you enter menopause? Has this happened to any of you? I was sort of hoping not having periods anymore would mean I would no longer have cramps! I'm 48 years old. Thanks.

Comments (160)

• crampyandcranky
    8 years ago

Thought I would add my voice to this topic. I am 41 and also came here after searching cramps and no (or delayed) period.

Back in October 2015 I stopped having periods and was diagnosed by blood test as menopausal. I also had ultra sounds and an internal scan to confirm nothing sinister happening. All clear.

68 days later period returned. It took forever to actually come, the cramping was horrific and it lasted a full week (over the last few years they have only been 2 days). There was a small amount of very watery looking pink blood for several days and then the floodgates opened. Won't get too graphic with that.

Now three weeks later (up until the 68 day break they have been coming every three weeks without fail for years), I have had three days of awful cramping which tablets are only just managing. I actually sat on the sofa with a water bottle last night which I've never resorted to in my life. A very faint pink smear a few times (which you would miss if you weren't looking hard). Nothing looking like blood, but based on last time it's probably coming. (Eventually)

I've always suffered from cramps but usually the cramping doesn't start till the period does and then it's over within a day and a half.

I am so tired and cranky and not getting a great deal of sympathy at home. Which I guess is why I'm over here having a vent!

I never had children (by choice) and I have worked full time my whole life and I'm just finding it difficult at the moment.

I am also having an Ibs flare and I have fibromyalgia and low thyroid (on medication) which I imagine also doesn't help.

I think if this keeps up I will be back at the doctors shortly taking whatever he wants to give me!

Like others here, I don't have any solutions, but it was helpful to read others experiences so thought I would add mine.

• ceriphill
    8 years ago

I am 42 and i consider myself very lucky as all these years i have never really suffered with my periods -never regular no major bleed, only last 2-3days and no pain, up until now omg! the cramps stop me in my tracks its like i want to push to give birth! It takes my breath away it hurts so much! Then 2 days later nothing. It sucks being a woman we get mood swings ,flushes , periods, cramps, bloating, weight gain, menapause, and men who don't get it and don't care. !

• Related Discussions

cramps

Q

Comments (2)
    I had the worst cramps that would put me out of commission for two days every month. Since I am on the pill, my GYN suggested that I take them continuously without taking the placebo on the 4th week. It took about three months to get to where I had no periods at all, and several different prescriptions to figure out which pill works best for me (Ortho Tri-Cyclen; anything else and I would spot for a day or two). I have been on this regimen for over 4 years. I have had no side effects, no PMS, no cramps, and it has been the answer I desperately needed. If you are on the pill, I suggest it highly if your GYN agrees.
    ...See More

feels just like period? but no blood?

Q

Comments (6)
    I didnt have any symptoms like that when I was pregnant. Everyone is different I suppose. I think it is just psycho-sematic.Meaning,you are either thinking about your period or thinking about being pregnant,and your body is giving you these symptoms. As soon as I realize my period is due,I start having symptoms.And it is common to have these symptoms you are speaking of up to TWO WEEKS before your period. But definitely if no period shows up by next week,take a test to see if you are in fact PG.
    ...See More

All the signs of a period but NO period! Help!

Q

Comments (2)
    i know that exact feeling. I had "phantom" periods for 6 months after giving up the pill back in April. I had every symptom to say that my period was well on its way, cramps ,bloating, the whole she-bang, but it would just never come. 6 months later i finally got one. Just part of the FUN that comes with Perimenopause! my GYNO never once mentioned that this was a possiblity. as a matter of fact he assured me my periods would be heavy and possibly painful after giving up the pill. not that at 48 i would get thrown full into the peri situation. geez thanks for the warning! not!
    ...See More

cramping

Q

Comments (1)
    I have seen several people in this forum post about cramping... I think this is fairly normal. Exercise works well for cramping.
    ...See More
  • stonecoldnik
    8 years ago

OMG, I'm so glad to know that I'm not crazy. I started the perimenopause last year about April, then all of a sudden in Nov., things started going wacky. My periods changed to spotting in Feb. this year almost every other day, by the middle to end of Feb. I was fatigued, food not completely digesting, nasuea, irritable, tender breasts, and cramping. I will be 49 in a few months and in the last two weeks I have been completely and utterly miserable.

Doctors say that it's that time and choices are what I have read a lot of of you stating about birth control and other ways to control the issues. What is said that not one doctor has any other advice accept to deal with it. I could've came up with that conclusion for free. I actually had one male doctor tell me "that when I was 39 about to turn 40 that I hadn't seen anything yet, just wait every year something new was going to change". I didn't find it funny then and I seriously don't find it funny now. I've been cramping for two going on three weeks at different pain levels, to the one I'm at right now which is constantly almost balled up & in tears.

My husband has been patient and understanding. I seriously thank the Lord for that, because I understand that so many aren't. I've been reading & researching when I can trying to find natural remedies to help, because I never remember my grandma or great aunt going thru this when I was younger. I'm not understanding how I never remember ever seeing them complain or in pain. I try to remember if there were things that I can remember them doing or eating, because this is insane to have to be like this day to day. I pray some one adds a really good old fashioned remedy that could really help a lot of us dealing with the pain.

I've had cramps with my periods for like forever, but this is worse. To have no period, but cramps all the time.

• wadiahf
    7 years ago

Hey everyone!! I'm 40 with my first (and only) child who's 16 months. My period was here and there the first year after childbirth. Now , I haven't seen one since January and have been cramping for the past two weeks. In addition, I was having major hot flashes for the past few months. They've actually stopped within the last couple of weeks which is one plus. But I had never heard of cramping as a symptom of menopause. My mother started on her late 30's. I guess we have a lot more interesting things to experience!!

• scruffell23
    7 years ago

• Tracey
    7 years ago

Hi sisters, I'm 48 years old, and no, you aren't going crazy. The descriptions online of what most perimenopause symptoms are like don't go into enough detail. My periods started to get wonky at 46-47, just slightly, a tad early or late. I haven't bled for 3 months now, since February....but the cramps. Oh sweet Lord. Why? The past 2 days have been agony, with cramps and bloating like I was 16 again. But no period.

Yes, phantom periods. You are not alone.

I was in denial, because hey, I'm Gen X, and this just won't happen to us, right? Because I'm still 35 and don't feel almost 50. But no, it's happening, and I really hope some blood shows up soon, because baby I wanna shed this stuff right now. God knows what will come out, could be a whole dining set for all I know.

Bloated, tender breasts, cramps in both sides of my uterus, and my underwire bra is trying to murder me like never before. I only had very brief hot flashes. See, we have all been taught about the GD hot flashes, and if we only have a couple of them early on, it doesn't seem like much is going on. But the cramps and bloating and no show period is a huge deal, much more than flashes for me.

Luckily, I just happened to have a new Gyno appointment made for next week. I don't plan on going on birth control or hormones, but maybe something will help for the in between time.

Screw this.

God bless.

• jane_mckerroll
    7 years ago

Tracy, you made me laugh, which is what we need! Thanks for your perspective. The dining set reference made me laugh out loud.

• Tracey
    7 years ago

I'm glad Jane! ;-) Something rustic for my patio would be good. I'll let you know what happens.

• karenleespree
    7 years ago

Hi! I read this thread last August (its now late May) when I experienced my first phantom cramping and no period. After two cycles like that with worst cramping as if my uterus might drop, my period returned. It's returned every month either at 21 days or shorter, sometimes longer. Now at the start of summer, my phantom cramping has returned ( two weeks late), no much bloating, or sore breasts, with hot flashes waking me at 4 or 5 am, nausea, anxiety. Debilitating really because the next day I'm an exhausted mess. Hello... So nice everyone is here sharing their stories! Why is it so hard to find information?

Today I stocked up on black cohosh, primrose oil, and sepia ( homeopathy)

i'll update my progress. :).

• karenleespree
    7 years ago

Forgot to mention that I'll be 49 in August.

• wenner34
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all, iam 41 i have been having hot flashes going on a year now. But only at night just like someone took a water hose and drenched me with it. But thats another story. My question is: for a week now i have been going through really bad cramping stomach, back, and even my legs. I feel like iam going start but have not yet. This is all new to me because i have really never suffered with this kind of cramping before... has anyone gone through what is happening to me??

• Michele Midkiff
    7 years ago

I have felt terrible and exhausted for about 3 years. Just this month had a full blood work up and everything came back perfect. I have had some heavy periods lately, thinking I may be starting perimenopause. This month I had horrible cramps with back and leg pain and no period. I googled the info only find I have every possible symptom of perimenopause. I've been in denial I guess. I have had a stroke in the past so I've been told I cannot take any hormone replacement of any kind because of increase risk of another stroke. Any suggestions from anyone? I can't deal with this for years. No one should have to.

• Tara McLaughlin Giroud
    7 years ago

I had a little laugh to myself -- never heard of this site but googled cramps and no period, perimenopause and this came up. Which is awesome, but then I saw it was for people interested in home design. ha ha. Maybe it's for all the women who went peri-rage on their homes and now have holes in the wall. ;) Anyway, so glad to find this. I am 41 and this all started for me at 39 (or maybe earlier but I had a couple of babies around that time so thought it was PPD) Anyway, my symptoms have been drenching night sweats before my periods, fluctuating periods that got shorter and heavier, the periods themselves would be bleed-stop-bleed for a few days, horrible rage in the two weeks before my period, but I went on a chasteberry supplement that helped with that a bunch. In the past few months, that doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore. Sadness, rage, now periods have bounced down to 17 days. This month I've had lots of cramps, swollen and painful breasts, fatigue and a couple of days of big rage (my kids are actually afraid :( as am I) and I keep waiting for it to come and now at day 29 with only a tiny bit of spotting a couple of days ago, nothing. I'm just in this cloud of denial on the one hand, I'm 41, this can't be happening now. I'm also happy to hear an explanation for the rage that makes me feel like I'm not losing my mind. What I want to know is why more women really aren't homicidal maniacs? How can human beings feel so absolutely out of control and yet find a way to get through it? We are awesome! ha ha ( I need to pump myself up with pride before I go and scream at my 3 year old for breathing funny) Thanks for sharing all of your stories!

• victoria_padilla12
    7 years ago

I am 47 and am going through Premenopause I think I haven't had a period in 4 month's but my body feel's like it want's to start everyday. The boating and cramping is horrible. Not even ibuprofen is helping. I think my emotions go like up and down. I don't want to go to the Dr. because she makes me feel like I'm just wasting her time or what I'm saying how I'm feeling is not important or ridiculous. She tells me that I'm depressed! Boy is she way off lol. I have so much goodness in my life :) . I just don't know how to go through this or how I can feel just a little better...any suggestions?

• penny_graff
    7 years ago

I am currently 51, and I have the bloating and cramps that you describe. What I found after going to many doctors that helps me is progesterone cream. You don't need a doctors prescription, I order mine from Amazon.com. Prior to using it I would have clumping periods that bypassed tampons (not fun) and soaked through pads. I also would get massive migraines (another wonderful side effect of peri-menopause). Before the really bad cramps I used to rub the cream into my calves, because one of the reviewers on Amazon said it had a funny smell, so she did that because you can't smell it on your calves. Now when I have the bad cramps I rub the cream into my lower stomach, above my pubic area and I take Advil. That pretty much mostly takes care of everything for me. If you google peri-menopause and progesterone cream, you will see lots of women go to doctors and get no relief. I am including the link to Amazon. If for some reason it does not redirect you correctly, go to Amazon and search on Progest. It was such a simple solution to a big problem.

Progest at Amazon

• ceriphill
    7 years ago

Hi again everyone. Well just to update you I am being treated for arthritis in my hips and they say that it is the cause of all my period pains?????? They are saying that it is secondary pain caused by the hips funny I only get really bad pain just before I am due on weather I have a period or not! I give up. An ultra sound was done and all OK yet I'm still in pain. I asked for a historectamy and he just laughed at me. Would he find it funny if he had to put up with it!

Do vitamins Work? Medication of any kind just makes me retain water ?

• Debra Brooks Kapellakis
    7 years ago

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

I do not have 8 of these symptoms. All the others come and go and I feel I am going crazy sometimes. My husband and children are trying to be understanding and patient.

• blackwoodla
    7 years ago

So glad to have found this forum! I feel like I'm going nuts sometimes lately. I am 48 and suspect I have been in perimenopause for a two years now.

Wildly changing moods (and I have always been pretty balanced), night sweats & hot flashes for a year were a first clue. My Gyn prescribed a progesterone only pill for my birth control a couple years ago, and my life-long migraines were completely gone. (Yay! Happy consequence.) I'm wondering if the pill has also lessened my other symptoms.

Anyway, recently my periods have been either non-existent or totally unpredictable. There have been some months with I guess it would be called spotting, but it's more like a blob of old blood one day, nothing for a few days then another blob. This week I have had that plus strong menstrual cramps today. Haven't had those in years, so I took some ibuprofen, grabbed the heating pad, and got online to see if this is normal. So relieved to hear I am not alone.

Other symptoms I have had which I suspect may be related are 1) other muscle cramping and aches even though I am well hydrated and do vinyasa or bikram yoga five days a week and 2) an occasional sharp pain from what I think is my right ovary. Anyone else have either of those?

• kdarcher21
    7 years ago

Hi I am glad I have found this too. I have been in perimenopause sine 2012 and now have not had a period since January. All was ok until July this year when I got a water infection since then it's gone down hill. I just didn't feel right so went to the doctors who arranged an ultrasound, this showed I had 2 fibroids about 3 & 4cms which I understand not to much to worry about they couldn't find my ovaries so this month have had a than transvaginal ultrasound, this time the found my right ovary to have multiple cyst on it which I have been told is common, they still couldn't see my left ovary, what did find is my uterus wall lining has increased from 4mm in the first ultrasound in September to now 7mm which I have been told is normal. I am worried about this as I have read that this can lead to cancer, can anyone help. I am getting terrible period cramps but to other symptoms.

7 years ago

I have no help for you sweetie. If they are telling you that this is all normal. Please, try not to worry.

• kdarcher21
    7 years ago

Thank you x

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would get a second opinion if you're worried.

• fakeinhvl
    6 years ago

Hello, Everyone. I just happened upon this site after the strangest thing happened to me today. I am 51 and still having regular periods. I have no thyroid gland anymore after surgery in 2005 so I take supplemental thyroid. My periods have been some times a week early and sometimes a week later now but the last two days I've had severe cramping in between my periods. The pain this morning while I was taking care of my horse was so bad that I was apparently hyperventilating. By the time I managed to drive myself home I couldn't feel my hands anymore and my fingers wouldn't work. Then my cheeks and my lower jaw went numb and it became harder to speak. Well the doctor suggested I go to the ER so I did. I found out something new. I learned that when you shallow breathe because of anxiety or pain or whatever, your CO2 can throw the levels in your blood off and the numbness and tingling happens. It was scary but I'm glad to know that it wasn't related to stroke or seizure. In all this because of the most severe cramps I've had in years. and I must mention there was very little bleeding so it was all for nothing. LOL

• Carol Halligan
    6 years ago

I want to say thank you to all of you talking about having cramps that have lasted for several weeks. I am lying in bed feeling sorry for myself, scaring myself witless reading things online I don't want to read about having pain while going through the menopause. Haven't had a period for 4 months now but always suffered badly with them. Like a lot of other people here, I have had flooding and periods all over the place. Why do we only hear about the flashes? I haven't had them at all. I have a dragging pain and a twisting, cramp like feeling in my left side - I think my left ovary. Doctor said to sit it out for a couple of weeks! Cos of my age it's obviously 'just' menopause related. I have pain but that's okay apparently. Thank God for you women here telling me I'm not alone.

• crampyandcranky
    6 years ago

I commented in 2016 and I've come back to say I never had such a long gap with cramping again. My period came back (bloody hell) so I guess I wasn't menopausal after all and still in peri, despite the blood test that confirmed I was. Currently 43 and still fun times. Period shows up either with a three month break or every two weeks. I have never had the cramping and no period again since posting. I have had cramping for a day before, but it's always come. I wonder if some other posters were the same.

6 years ago

I haven't had a period since January 2017. A few phantom cramps and other sypmptoms only. For the last few days my breast are so swollen and sore. I dread putting on a taking off my bra. If someone hugs me too tight, I cry from the pain. I am praying that this is the last of it! I'm 56.

• blacky1
    6 years ago

It’s been a long while since I have commented but thought I would update my past few years. I wrote here in 2014 with all the same problems all of us have had. I’m 60 now, and this was the year I thought I would stop using natural HRT. Since I started 4 years ago it was like night and day for my severe hot flashes and night sweats and it still is. I like many of you still get a few spotting and bad cramps. The cramps are less but every now and then they get bad again. I’m dealing with other heath issues and I’m too nervous to upset the apple cart, so to speak with more hot flashes and night sweats again. I know I will have to soon as with any HRT the least amount of time on them the better even natural ones. Once I get this other issue sorted I’ll speak to the doctor and start to wean off or just stop. Not sure which is the best way yet. I will do some research this and see before I start. You would think the golden years really would be nice but I think for most of us we just carry on as best we can.

• visitormouse
    5 years ago

It's been a while since anyone has commented but this thread has been a lifesaver. I had no idea what was happening to me and my doctor and gyno also couldn't explain it either. I have fibroids but according to them, they shouldn't cause cyclic pain. Anyway, I am 50 and still having regular periods. It lasts about 3 days but the cramping lasts a lot longer, starting usually about 2 days before the bleed and ending only about 12 days later. It's been like this for about a year now. I'm so ready for menopause to arrive. Ibuprofen helps but the pain still takes a toll. This thread has helped to keep me sane. Thanks to the ladies who shared their stories!

• HU-172095482
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi I’m a newby here and just wondering if anyone is still having phantom period pains after about 16 months of no periods, I have hot flushes and get tired occasionally but other than that I feel pretty much ok! Apart from worrying myself to death about everything. But these pains do worry me! they come probably every month and last about a week or just over! just hoping someone can put my mind at rest for a while, I had a hystoscopy ( not sure if that’s how you spell it) uterine biopsy, I am up to date with smear tests, transvaginal scan and ultrasound scan, everything ok at that time?? Please help ?

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Keeping in mind, I can't know for sure, but it could be your estrogen is still dropping. I still had pains after I stopped having periods too. It went on for quite awhile, like you're experiencing. The hot flashes eventually diminished though after a couple/few years(!), I'm guessing once my estrogen finally tanked out or stabilized. :( And knock on wood, I don't really experience phantom period anymore. Hopefully that it the reason, and not something more serious - but it sounds like you've been thoroughly tested.

• Tracey
    5 years ago

I got an update notification on this thread, I posted in 2016 about cramps but no blood, wondering what was going to (if ever) show up (dining set). Who knew a thread on Houzz would be more informative for us than most other places.

Have stopped bleeding except maybe once every 4 to 5 months. Here's another surprise that no one tells you about: the chest muscle pain. The breasts, yes, with tenderness, but if you have large breasts, the actual chest muscles underneath, like you have been lifting weights.

**sigh**

• HU-172095482
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply dee_can1, yes I’m hoping that’s the reason, I have massive health anxiety since staring on this ridiculous journey and everything is a disaster!

These pains seem to have been going on forever, how Long do you think you suffered with your pain after your last period and did you ever see a doctor about them ?

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tracey, I agree, you can get pains just about anywhere. One of the most painful for me, beside the phantom periods, was urinary tract pain. I'm sure lowering estrogen levels caused that because the tissue is so dependent on estrogen. Also my allergies became worse.

Hu, I can't say for sure, but the pain and hot flashes went on for at least a couple of years off and on. Sorry to say. The only time I saw a doctor was at the beginning when the cramping and steady bleeding started. I had a D&C and biopsy, and everything came out fine. It was 'just' menopause (lowering hormones) in my case. If you are unsure though maybe you could get a second opinion. I wish you well, and I empathize with you.

• HU-172095482
    5 years ago

Well yes, I can honestly say it’s been something different every couple of months and I’ve put up with it till it passes, but these phantom periods have got me beat! No period for 16 months and I feel worse than ever rather than better, I think I must under estimate these hormones and I thought, stupidly, that once the 12 months with no period was done, I’d feel great again, how wrong I was!!!

Dee_can1 I’m so happy for you that you’re feeling bettter now, now hopefully you can get in with your life again x

• Tracey
    5 years ago

The pain can be all over. Why were we never told of this?? It's my 51st birthday and I'm literally just finding out about the muscle pains. It feels like I went to the gym every day.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HU, thank you. I also naively used to think that once the periods stop, I'll be free! lol I'm not feeling perfect by any means because I have a couple of autoimmune diseases BUT in relation to the menopause symptoms I was having, things have seemed to settle down. My hormones are still low, but I'm guessing they are more stable. I can't go on replacement hormones either but I think in the long run that's probably for the best because it think it means I would just prolong the inevitable. I remember telling someone about the menopause problems I was having at the time, and they told me that eventually things will steady out. I hope things settle down for you soon. Of course, if they don't, you should probably consider seeing your doctor about it again. Not that I'm giving medical advice, but we are not all the same, and what it might be for me, may not be the same for you.

Tracey, I know what you mean, I was never told what to expect. Maybe that's for the best because I would have been more worried about what was to come! I have a lot of muscle pains because I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid). Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Ha, I ask people that a lot because when I hear they are having certain problems, the first thing I think of is 'thyroid'. Another thing I learned through this though, is that estrogen is a great buffer for things like pain and allergic reactions, etc. I didn't realize how important estrogen/progesterone were until I had none. haha

5 years ago

I'm 58 years old. I just had another period. uuuggghhh About 3 days after the period I got the symptons again...cramps, tender breasts puffy belly...My only experince with menopaues is what my Mom went through. She bled heavily for months and the only explanation was menopause.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I bled heavily for months before finally going into menopause, too. I had no idea this could happen. I had to have a D&C and biopsy just to make sure it wasn't something more serious than just menopause. Sorry to hear you had a period at 58 years old! And that you're having symptoms again.

• Tracey
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ridiculous cramps for 2 days now. Like I'm 16 again. Will there be a period, or is this an ovulation? Who the hell knows.

• Denise Calderon
    4 years ago

I hope people are still looking at the posts here because I'm going out of my mind.Its been almost a year since I've had a period and quite often would have cramps,bloating,etccc even with no bleeding.i went for a few months thinking,whew!Finally!3 weeks ago the cramping started again,horrible hot flashes,anxiety through the roof which makes the cramps worse.I suffer from severe anxiety and depression.I wonder if the anxiety along with hormones is doing This to me.I hope everyone is doing well and thanks for letting me vent.btw I'm 53.

4 years ago

I have only one period so far this year. I'm 58. I'm very emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. Hang in there. It will pass.

• visitormouse
    4 years ago

I last posted here in February. In the interim, I've had 2 periods. Both were very light, which is unusual for me. And the cramps have dissipated along with the bleeding. I celebrated until a new 'thing' started. I started getting general indigestion. I have bloating, discomfort, and heartburn. I'm clearly still in peri and I'm looking forward to menopause as I'm ready to get off this rollercoaster.

• Margaret Stewart
    4 years ago

Hi everyone. I am 51 years old and not had a period in 10 months. Then yesterday bad painful cramps and two small spots of blood on toilet paper no period. I worry about everything. Has this happened to anyone else?

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi. It happened to me once. I'm post menopausal for about 5 or 6 years now and it happened about 2 years ago where I had a bit of blood one day, but no period. It hasn't happened again though. If it happens on a regular basis, I would get it checked out. But if it's a one-time thing, it may not be anything to worry about. I'm like you though, I worry about everything too.

• Gennifer Keiser
    4 years ago

Wow, I'm so glad (like many others through the years) that I came across this thread! [I'm commenting so I don't lose the page.] I'm 45 and looked up all the same symptoms -- months of no period, cramps, sheer exhaustion, etc. I'm on vacation with my husband and young kids and I slept the entire day away yesterday which is completely unlike me. I'm glad to find out this is normal, but not so thrilled that it can last so many years. Women deserve medals for the stuff we endure! Thanks to the original poster for stepping out and saying something 8 years ago. ❤ Others' shared experiences have proven more beneficial than other resources.

dee_can1 thanked Gennifer Keiser
  • Andrea Kietzman
    4 years ago

I'm 46 and feel like I've been going through peri- menapause for at least several years, but just now am having cramps for a few days with no blood yet. I am also really glad to have found this thread-- it seems silly that phantom periods are not usually listed with regular menapausal symptoms. Like everybody else here, I hope it won't last too long.

• Speshul Kay
    4 years ago

Just going to chime in here. I am 52. I found this page when researching cramping with no period and heavy periods during perimenopause. It gave me some peace. But it turns out I actually have cervical cancer. I was diagnosed in mid September. What I thought was perimenopause symptoms were in actual fact cervical cancer symptoms. I likely have had it for possibly upto 2 years and by the time it started to spread these cramps with no period, heavy longer periods started and I assumed it was normal. It was not. I start chemo and radiation Dec 2/19. I was never a huge lover of doctors but I kick myself now. My advice get regular check ups. This has been a frigging scary nightmare. Get any irregularities checked. Find a great woman's clinic and just go. They just may have saved my life. I let some unfortunate past unsavory physicians visits keep me from regular check ups. For the love of God get regular pelvic exams. Let me be your cautionary tale. Learn from my situation. I have 5 weeks of weekly chemo and five days a week of radiation to enjoy over the holidays. Us ladies have to be strong and brave and proactive with our health. I have a great oncology team ready to attack this cancer. Take care and please heed my warning....if something seems off go see a great gynecologist. Take care all of you.

• j9sgarden
    4 years ago

I’m so sorry!! Do you mind telling us if you had any other symptoms? What made you finally go to the doctor?

• Speshul Kay
    4 years ago

Hello j9sgarden, so as for other symptoms I also had discharge that I thought was Bacterial Vaginosis. I don’t do well with antibiotics and I heard this can also rectify itself. It just was not. Also I had lost my sister this past summer and had to move in with my mother and brother to help us all cope with her loss. So my issues took a back seat. We were all grieving. I started noticing the cramps were getting worse. I was getting flooding during my period for a couple days which I also researched on the web happens to some women during perimenopause with the hormone fluctuations. I was getting my period around every 45 days or so. So there was just a lot of stress in my life and I started researching doctors and finally settled on one though I was so apprehensive and nervous about the appt. Of course the morning I was to go my flooding/period came on full force. The doctor was amazing and still wanted to do a pelvic exam. She spotted the large mass right away and sent me directly to the ER. I was there 15 hrs had 4 pelvic exams and flooded through each one. It was not a good day. They ended up doing a biopsy while I was there. I was beyond frightened during all of it. They basically said it was cancer and a large mass but needed to find out what kind. Since then it has been a roller coaster ride of scans and procedures of not knowing exactly what I was facing. I still have a PET SCAN on the Nov 26. This week we set up and prepare the radiation treatments. I get the tiny tattoos they use to make sure they get the exact areas to treat. I will get radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Every Monday of those 5 weeks I will also get Chemo. The chemo increases/helps the radiation work better. There are 3 different nausea drugs taken on different schedules to really eliminate nausea. They say I may lose some hair but it will be minimal. My chemo drug is Cisplatin. They will also do some radiation internally but start doing it from the outside first. It will fry the ovaries so I will immediately go into menopause. I hope this sheds some light on symptoms and what made me finally go to the doctor. Any other questions I am glad and open to answering. But like I said please just find a Womens Clinic and check any and every concern you may have. Mine was cervical cancer your may not be. But a dedicated womens clinic will make sure you get a thorough examination. Take care ladies.

dee_can1 thanked Speshul Kay
  • visitormouse
    4 years ago

So it's been about a year since my first post. There was a few months when the cramps took a vacation along with my periods. However, my periods returned and the cramping did as well. As time has gone by, the pain has moderated and does not linger as long. There are other perimenopause issues that I struggle with but at least this one issue seems to be waning. I hope I can feel normal again once I'm in menopause.

Sponsored