SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soinspired_gw

Found help with Fluoxetine

soinspired
15 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I've been a lurker here for a long time and I so understand everyone's struggles. I am 57 and have had menopausal symptoms for over ten years: not sleeping, not staying asleep, muscle pains, migraines, hot flashes, extreme jitters, heart palpitations so bad I thought I was having a heart attack, mood swings, etc. etc. etc.... At the time, I thought I was going crazy and didn't associate menopause with the issues.

I changed doctors about four years ago and found a woman general practitioner. I just don't think men understand! (I also have a woman gynecologist.) She suggested from the start trying a low dose anti-depressant which she has found to help menopause symptoms.

I didn't want to try any anti-depressants and held off till a year and a half ago when I just came to a point that I'd try anything! She started me on 10 mg of Fluoxetine (generic for Prozac)once a day. She said it would take three months before I would really see an improvement.

After just a couple weeks, however, it helped immediately with the sleeping problems. After a few months, then I just kind of leveled off and the symptoms came back. She then increased it to 20 mg a day which has just turned my life around. I'm now sleeping thru most of the night and getting a good six hours without waking and no more heart palpitations! She also started me at the same time on a low dose of Xanax to get my jitters down. I no longer have to take the Xanax which she didn't want me on for a long period anyway.

She also encouraged me to exercise (which I still find hard to do) but do find it helps. It's just making exercise a priority in my busy life since I work full-time at a very stressful job and have for 15 years now.

Because of my family history of breast cancer, she didn't want me to try any hormone therapy which I didn't think would be good either.

So far, I am feeling so much better and my doctor insists on seeing me every 3 months to follow-up on my medication. And being able to sleep for a good six hours is a drug in itself! I have even lost 12 pounds (40 more to go)which I think also helps with my "grazing" issue with food.

Another plus is that I can get a 3 month supply for $15 with my insurance.

So, please do a little research on anti-depressants and suggest it to your doctors. I so hope it will make a difference in your well being as it has mine! I will continue to read your submissions and keep in touch.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz