Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
piddle problems

Posted by Julie_Va (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 01 at 9:57

I am new to this forum so I hope this isn't a repeat. I am just now ready to admit, okay, I have been in peri-menopause for a few years. I am 46 and have never given birth. I am still having semi-regular cycles, but have noticed something. Before my period begins I wet myself when I cough. I think it must be a hormonal thing because it stops once my period begins. I have heard of this happening in women who have had children. I mentioned it to my gyn and he just said it could be a change in the hormones at that time and just live with it. I am tired of wearing pads or shoving a paper towel down there (if I am shopping or don't have any pads with me). Any suggestions?

I also think now I must become a regular at this site. It looks very informative. Thanks. I hope you all have a happy and unhormonal holiday. Can I throw in a complaint right now? For the last 3 years I begin spotting after Thanksgiving and continue till just before Christmas when I flood. It is very inconvenient running to the little girl's room every 30 minutes to t.c.b. especially if we are driving 4 hours away to the in-laws. Thanks, just needed to whine and get it off my chest before we get on the road.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: piddle problems

Dear Julie: This has been happening to me also around my period. When I sneeze I leak a little also. I too am 46 and I think I have been going through perimenopause for a few years. First I thought it was a nervous condition but then after talkin with my GYN she confirmed that it is the start of the change. I have recently stared with the vaginal dryness even thoug I still am getting periods. Thougt I had infection but it wasn't. She prescribed Premarin creme. I only used it when it was completely necessary otherwise I use the KY-Silke lotion.

o

Hi

I suggest girls that you get doing your pelvic floor exercises because you should not be leaking urine, regardless of what time of the month it is.

Regards
Joan

o

What are those exercises, Joan? I'd like to start them before I start piddling! :D

Cheers, JoJo

o

The exercises Joan is talking about are called "kegel" exercises. They consist of tightening up all the muscles in your vagina as if you had to pee desperately and holding them for a set period (say a count of ten) and then relaxing. They are designed to strengthen and tone the sphinctre and vaginal muscles. They are supposed to give heightened sensation to our hubbies when we grip them during intercourse!! WOW! You can practice silently anywhere, anytime. They may help you build up the muscle tone you need to prevent leaking. Good luck.

o

I have been doing those exercises for years. After I sent my post I thought about it and thought I should have added that I DO do them. I still piddle. I could have just emptied my bladder, doesn't matter, if it is that time in my cycle it will happen. Earlier in the month it doesn't matter how full or how much I cough, it won't happen. Weird.

o

Thanks! I do them sometimes (and often on my husband, LOL, he says I'm "really strong down there" Hahahahaha!).

I guess I should do them more often !!!

Merry Xmas all,
JoJo

o

Julie: Incontinence may or may not be related to your being premenopausal. Here's what some of my literature says: "With approaching menopause and during the years that follow, normal aging and declining estrogen levels may affect the lining of the urethra (the tube through which urine empties from the bladder), causing it to become thin and the surrounding muscles to weaken. As a result, a woman may have involuntary leakage --called incontinence (especially when sneezing, coughing, laughing, or lifting . . . ." I started having a little incontinence when I sneezed a couple of years ago (when I was 46). My doctor checked me for other things, but everything was fine. I'm still not in menopause, but the incontinence has stopped.

o

I am on hrt, and have noticed that when I was on a higher dose, I didn't seem to have as much of a problem with leaking when I run, or suddenly sneeze on a full bladder. Now that I'm on a lower dose,(.625) I practice my kegels, and wear a tampon when I run. It helps hold up the bladder from within- helping with the leaking problem. Good Luck, they do say the lower the estrogen the more chances of leaking... Bummer since I want to get off the hrt altogether as my mom had breast cancer and I'm only 37!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here