Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taste change

Posted by LindaAussiedog (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 01 at 7:52

Has anyone in perimenopause ever experienced a change in your taste? My sister is irregular with her periods for the past year and is experiencing a change with her taste. Everything tastes bitter she says. She said this also happened to her with her pregnancies. (no, she is not pregnant now!) Just wondering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taste change

Yes! Used to love fish - any sort. Now, find I can't enjoy it at all, except shellfish - shame, really, as the fish I can buy now is the best and freshest I have ever seen.
Also, I find that I get 'stuck' on smells and tastes - what I mean is, I smell something, or eat something, and then for the next eight or nine hours, I can still taste/smell it. Even if it was originally excellent, it palls a bit after a while!

o

I also am experiencing not a taste but a smell problem. I also get stuck on smells. I think I smell a perfume or even a bleach smell occasionally. I look around to see where it is coming from. It is a mystery smell and it seems to last a long time.

o

Glad I'm not the only one with this weird smell thing! I used to get it a lot in connection with asthma attacks,(this was a very specific, odd chemically smell) and my doctor seemed to think I was actually smelling my body's own chemical reaction to the medication. However, now no longer taking any medication, and still getting the smells! Perfume and bleach are two of mine, as well, and also furniture polish!

o

Hi ,

My name is Mary , I'm from Georgia.

I came across one of your clippings in the GardenWeb fmenopause forum , you had mentioned about experiencing a "Smell problem" as part of menopause symptoms.

Let me start off by giving you a million thanks for that posting, it was such a huge relief for me to see that .

My mom is going through menopause and is experiencing similar symptoms , but unlike you , she's pretty traumatised by the whole 'change in smells and getting stuck on smells' symptom. She's constantly getting some kind of chemical smell , esp. at night , and once it starts it lasts for a while.Even more upsetting was the fact that she was the only one getting it and noone else could smell it. Until I saw your positing I was never aware that this could be a menopause symptom.

My mom extremely depressed and is very scared about the whole experience.

Would you be able to tell me how I can help her ? Are there any medicines for this ? Do you know of any website or any articles that describe this problem or maybe some doctor that I can consult ? I hardly found anything from my many searches online.

Anything at all from your end would be of great great help for me. Please do reply so that I can help my mom overcome this.

Thanks so much in advance,

Mary

Reference : http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/menopause/msg1207520131887.html

o

I'm noticing an artificial sweetener aftertaste in things made with sugar, like cookies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here