SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_from_ca

uncontrolled weeping on BCPs

Linda_from_CA
22 years ago

I started taking Alesse for perimenopause symptoms a few months back, and thought I was doing great. I immediately felt calmer, had more patience, and the anger, hostility, and irritability left almost immediately. I also began sleeping much better, with no night sweats or hot flashes. It really seemed miraculous, and I read in the book The Change Before the Change, that progesterone can bind to receptors in the same way as sedatives, and produce the same reactions. That made sense, and explained my newfound calmness, (I remember telling a friend, Âthis feels like a valium, not a birth control pill!Â), and I have to admit it was great.

What began to bother me was a tendency to begin weeping uncontrollably in public, which I had never done before. I began the BCPs on a Sunday and the next Saturday at a pet fair, I began crying at a dog show. I mean huge crocodile tears falling on my hands, and me completely unable to stop them, just from feeling emotional over seeing all the dogs. IÂd NEVER done anything like that in public before, and as IÂd only been on the pills for 6 days at that point, did not connect this reaction to them. ItÂs happened several times since then, and even though I keep saying I feel so good (thatÂs the sedative effect IÂm guessing) I have to admit IÂm also feeling very depressed, lonely, weepy, overly-sensitive to EVERYTHING, and thinking about death a lot. This week was the worst and most intense itÂs been. IÂd actually felt so frightened about Christmas that I decided to stay on the pills this week even though it should have been my week off. I thought I could maybe cope better this week on the pills instead of off them, but cried again hysterically both in church, and in the airport, unable to stop or control myself, which has really scared me. I just feel incredibly emotional and EVERYTHING makes me want to cry. It feels like nightmare PMS.

Because I have had such positive reactions to the BCPs I hesitant to change anything, but I basically need to know if (1) this kind of uncontrolled weeping in public could be related to the change in adding these hormones to my system, or if (2) this was just an intensified reaction to the added hormones by staying on them the additional week, when I should have been off. Also, (3) if you do take the pills that fourth week, is it unusual to have a period? I did, thought I wouldnÂt, and itÂs basically felt like 2 weeks of PMS. I thought some women took them the additional week specifically to NOT have a period, and that BCPs were supposed to help PMS symptoms and reactions. And (4) if you do have a period that week could the fact that I was still taking the pills be what has made this week such a nightmare emotionally? Did I maybe put too much in my body by taking them that 4th week? I took several different BCPs before finding one that worked as well as Alesse. (5) Should I be thinking of stopping it and maybe trying a progesterone cream or something else instead due to these responses?

I guess IÂm just very shocked that not only was this week not made emotionally easier by staying on the pills, but also has actually been the worst IÂve felt since I started BCPs a few months back. IÂve been so frightened that I called my doctor, but she doesnÂt return calls, let alone answer questions without making me wait three months for an appointment. In other words, any info or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Linda P.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor