SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrian_gw

PhytoB: A remedy?

Adrian
22 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new on this forum and really like a lot of the posts I've read today. I recently started on a natural estrogen/progesterone combo oral supplement called PhytoB. It supplies all three estrogens as well as progesterone in a plant-based form. My Acupuncturist got me on it after giving me blood tests. I had recently been through a complete work-up by my Internist who said I was very healthy (no signs of thyroid problems, heart problems, etc.)

My main complaints are fatigue, hair-thinning, early morning awakening with problems returning to sleep, moderate hot flashes, skin dryness and laxity. Has anyone tried these supplements successfully? I guess everyone's biochemistry is different and what works for one might not work for another. But I thought I would ask. I'm 52 and really, most importantly, want my energy back.

I've been on them 10 days and have noticed my hot flashes have been subsiding somewhat, but am waiting to see what else will get better. My Acupuncturist says it will take 6 weeks to see overall improvement. Thanks for your comments. Adrian

Comments (26)

• anifani4
    22 years ago

Hi Adrian, There is no way you can be taking an over the counter supplement that contains all three estrogens or any estrogen at all; estrogens need an MD prescription. If your acupuncturist is also a licensed physician, she may be prescribing this Phyto-B, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I believe you are being misled or have been given misinformation. There is only one form of oral "progesterone" and that is Prometrium, all the others are non-bioidentical progesterone-like substances, Provera is one example. They are only available with MD prescriptions. There are various herbs with substances called phyto-estrogens because they have some estrogenic effects in the body, an example is black cohosh root. I have never heard of any oral supplement that provides a progesterone effect. I hope you post again and clarify exactly what you are taking.

• Leigh_K
    22 years ago

This stuff is being hawked by a Helen Pensanti MD and is available on-line. It claims to have 58 mg of estrogen and 1500 mg of progesterone in a bottle of 240 "pellets" which are to be taken at the rate of four each day.

I reported the site to the FDA several weeks ago because this stuff was being billed as triest with progesterone and seemed to be available without prescription which is illegal. If this "doctor" is actually a doctor she might be able to write prescriptions for anyone ordering the product to cover this deficiency. I haven't heard anything from the FDA, nor do I expect to.

• AdrianW
    22 years ago

anifani and Leigh, thanks for your responses. The substances listed on the container are definitely herbs. My Acupuncturist is also an oriental medicine practicioner. Though she is optimistic that this will relieve my symptoms, I am ever the skeptic so I will keep your responses in mind as I monitor my body's responses. The issue of the non-bioidentical progesterone substances is the one that has me the most concerned. I had noticed Helen Pensanti's website before starting PhytoB. If anyone on this website has knowledge of herbs, I'd be glad to list what I find on the container. I guess a trip to the library is in order here. As for prescribing, I don't know if buying the stuff from the Acupuncturist is consider a prescription. Yours, Adrian

• searchless1
    16 years ago

Even tho this msg string is 5.5 yrs old, it came up on the first page my of google search for phyto-b. Having read this set of responses, i feel compelled to respond [which i rarely do].

I'm 58 yrs old and had a radical hysterectomy 13 years ago. Took horse urine estrogen ~ pharmaceutical ~ the first year and, with my female MD~Osteopath, switched to the bio-identical herbal formula after learning that they do not cause cancer ~ as the synthetic forms of estrogen, and more importantly, synthetic progesterones do.

After a month on phyto-b, my levels of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone were perfect, as opposed to only having estrogen in my system using the synthetics.

I've used phyto-b for 12 years, tweaking the amount i use slightly over the years. They are ESSENTIAL for my sanity, let alone the healthy lining of my vagina and healthy sex drive, among other benefits.

May I suggest that you contact Layna Berman, a uniquely qualified practitioner and the host of a KPFA radio weekly show - which you can listen to online - for the LATEST news regarding hormone therapy, as well as many other health issues. She has other experts in fields of health on her show as well. http://yourownhealthandfitness.org/
    KPFA: http://www.kpfa.org/schedule/
    Blessings to all, lorraine

• shotzy52
    16 years ago

Wow, I go to work one day and look what happens on the forum. I LOVE IT! I am taking the lowest prempro. I have no hotflashes, but the vaginal dryness in and around the clitoris is HORRIBLE. I do use some topical Premarin cream, it doesnt bother me that it is horse urine. However, I would love not to use it. I am coming to understand that Western Medicine doesnt have all the answers. Of course I stay awake when drinking Decaf herbal teas! So I am not sure who if anyone is regulating the herbal medicines. But I would be willing to try some new things. I do know that if you do not have a MD that support one trying alternative ideas, then it is really hard to get one to listen after you say "homopathic" I will check out the web site. Much thanks

• want2bnormal
    16 years ago

Adrian, a lot of your symptoms do sound like thyroid deficiency. It's frustrating when you can't really find out what's going on, isn't it? I think that's what this time of life is all about....wandering around wondering what the heck is wrong!

• jonnirn
    16 years ago

I am 56 yrs. old, an R.N., had a uterine oblation 14 years ago and have been taking Phyto-B for 10 years. I found out about it from my sisters. I LOVE PHYTO-B...so much so that I decided to buy it myself through Bezwecken (you must be a licensed professional) and distribute it to other women who need it. My levels of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone are within normal limits and I haven't had ANY hot flashes since I began taking Phyto-B. It did wonders for my loss of libido!!, rid me of mood swings, depression, night sweats and more. I have 12 customers who keep coming back for more because it works for them. Here are the ingredients: Barbasco Extract, Diosorea Quat. Extract, Fermented Plant Derived Progesterone, Soybean and Licorice Root Extracts, Fermented Plant Derived Estrogen, Crataegus Oxycantha, Medicago Sativa, Camellia Sinesis, Avena Sativa and Prunus Spp. Extract in a pellet base of Lactose and Lactase. Dosage: Place 4 pellets under tongue TWICE daily. I am now weaned to 3 pellets under the tongue every 12 hours. I have older sisters who are down to 2 and 1 pellet twice daily. When you wean, you'll know if you start getting any symptoms back to increase back to the bigger dose. Phyto-B is a true miracle!

• cindy57
    16 years ago

Hi Jonnirn,

I had a thread started about being 50 and going off birth control pills. Didn't get a whole lot of response (was looking for someone with my situation) any way I just wanted to put my two sense in here regarding the phytoB remedy. I turned 50 in Aug and went off the pill at the end of June. I started having hot flashes and night sweats almost immediately. My Gyn prescribed a synthetic progestrone but I never took it. I bought and have been using progesterone cream for the last 3 months 21 days on and 7 days off. It seemed to help some what but the hot flashes and night sweats seemed to be stronger and more frequent. So back to the vitamin store I went and found a product from "Source Naturals" called "Hot Flash" it contains geinstein-rich soy, black cohash root, dong quai root, licorice root, & chaste tree berry. The dosage calls for 3 a day I took 1 in the morning and 1/2 one at night It said you should notice a difference within 4 weeks. Let me tell you I noticed a difference the next day. I still have hot flashes and night sweats but not as many and not as extreme. Now I just feel hot but don't get that wave of heat like with a hot flash. I'm also taking Bio Align called "Life Force Multiple" from "source Naturals" and an antioxidant grape seed extract. I guess my question is How long can I safely stay taking the phytoB "hot flash" and the progesterone cream? or is the product you mentioned above even better to take and safer and how do I find it do you have a web site?

• kimberlosity
    15 years ago

I have been taking Phyto b for several years. I'm 52. I started with hot flashes at 44. The hot flashes, the dryness, the aggressive behavior, the lack of sleep, are all elliminated while taking the phyto b. When I have gone off of it, all my menopausle symtoms come back. It takes me 1 month on 4 pills twice a day to experience the relief. I was not going to take the presciption (synthetic hormones) my doctor prescribed at 45. I wanted to find something holistic or a chinese herb. I have found it in photo b. Everyone needs to find what works for them. Do the research. Oprah just had a show about what you can do about menopause. Go on her web sight. Adrian, sounds like you have an awesom acupunturist. I love chinese medicine. My body really responds to it. Another thing we can do is sit quietly and visualize our hormones and body in balance. See your self whole and complete, balanced. We seem to forget our own part in healing. Outside help can be great, but our inside help is brillant. Be a part of your healing and wellness.

• marina3553
    14 years ago

I LOVE PHYTO-B. I have been taking it a few weeks, along with 2 500 mg of EPO caps twice a day and 1 Vitex twice a day. It didn't happen immediately but after a few weeks, I went from lots of hot flashes to virtually none. I take 4 tablets cut in half under the tongue for 7 or 8 minutes and then swallow -- twice daily. Excellent!

• darlene_dragoness
    14 years ago

Can anyone please tell me if the Estrogen and Progesterone are the only two hormones in Phyto-B?
    Are the rest of the ingredients just supportive herbs?
    I have to make sure my mom's other medications don't conflict with any unknown hormone substances.
    Thanks!

• titite
    14 years ago

Can anyone tell me when the dizzinness from the use of Phyto-B will subside^ After blood tests, my naturopath prescribed 3 Phyto-B tablets twice a day. The dizziness is bad enough that I need to hold on to furniture when I walk. I trust in the Phyto-B but it's the first time she prescribes such a large dosage. I want to keep using it since I need my energy level back up after a lenghty sickness and pain in my muscles. Please reaspond. Thanks.

• who_am_i_today
    13 years ago

First off, I am so happy to have found this site - am I really am no longer crazy and share all of the same symptoms with others??? I laughed, cried and was reassured that I am truly not alone.

I have suffered from hormone inbalance since my teens. Menapause has been just shy of hell; I truly thought I needed to be tested for mental illness. Without much help from my GP, I finally researched on my own and through acupuncture, blood tests and finding a local clinic that focuses solely on womens health I was put on the pill - what a difference!!!

As of late, most of my symptoms are coming back, a friend recommended PhotoB saying it had been life changing for her.

Can you take both PhotoB and the pill at the same time? Do you ween yourself off of the pill eventually?

I want to start PhotoB tomorrow, particularly after reading some of the great results but want to be sure there are no side affects from taking both!

Thanks!!

• AllyShaw
    13 years ago

For 10 years I suffered terribly with Menopause symptoms. I had an extreme case of depression, anxiety, irritably, dizziness, chronic fatigue, hot flashes, night sweats, bone and joint pain, gastrointestinal trouble, you name it I had it. After years of anti-depressants and pain medications, they worked for a while and then caused other problems, so I knew I had to get off of them. When I finally went to a Naturopath Physician, she put me on these and they worked like a charm after just only 2 weeks ~ and I only take half of the dose. I was instructed to crack 2 with my teeth and move under the tongue for absorption in the morning and then do the same in the evening. PhytoB has truly saved my life!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: PhytoB

• barbiejan1_aol_com
    13 years ago

Phyto B hs changed my life. i have been on them since december of 2008 and they are wonderful. I feel like a woman again. Barely any hot flashes and i WAS having them every hour. I also have gotten rid of the "dryness" and no desire for sex. It all came back within 2 months of taking Phyto B. Thank you Phyto B

• lwarner56_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm ECSTATIC...just started taking Phyto-B, and hope it stays this way, but I feel SO MUCH better than I have for ages...slept GREAT; no moodiness; no stomach upset...feel once again like I can take on the world! There is no questiont that herbs can be incredbily therapeutic, as I've worked with them for years...but am absolutely AMAZED how much better I feel after taking Phyto-B! Perhaps there ARE miracles...I'll know better after a while...

• MsSouthport_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been taking PhytoB for a month. I have been thru menopause for 5 years. Lost a significant amount of weight and started having hot flashes so that's when I took PhytoB. Anyone had spotting with this after menopause?

• casagogo_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I started taking PhytoB 9 days ago, 4 pills two times a day. My doc said I'd notice relief from my intense (every 30-45 minutes) hot flashes, but so far I have not. I do have most of the compaints that Adrain has (fatigue, early morning awakening with problems returning to sleep, same hot flashes, skin dryness and laxity). My energy is less than it used to be and I do feel a bit dizzy at times.I was about to give up as I'm very frustrated that I'm still burning alive, but it seems everyone on this post said they noticed relief after one month, so I guess I'll hang in there a bit longer. I've tried so many natural remedies with no results and lots of lost money. Accupuncture did not work either. Guess I'll hang in there for one month, but I'm sooooo done with the heat! Rhea

• JenniferElizabeth
    12 years ago

I hope that someone might comment on whether PhytoB has helped them with menopausal symptoms that include migraines. I have hot flashes but no dryness, I a LOT of new whiskers, and I've never had a beard or a mustache before. But mostly, what came with the onset of menopause for me is migraines. I use Maxalt to treat them acutely. Acupuncture/Chinese herbs seem to be causing them to be less frequent, but wow, they are awful. I'm on day two of PhytoB, hopeful. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has had the same.

• gbcampers_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been using Phyto-b for about 5 years now and LOVE it! I was having hot flashes every half hour and several times a night. Forget sex! No more hot flashes and libido restored. This is a miracle product as far as I'm concerned. My naturopath monitors my hormones with a blood test once a year and adjusts the dosage accordingly. I'm on 8 tablets right now and it's worth every penny.

• vmjw1978_19_verizon_net
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the post thus far. I am 53 am I do suffer with hot flashes. I have suffered with migraines since I was 12 years of age. I will say that since I have been menopausal The migraines are not as in tensed but I have major dizzy spells from time to time. I only recently heard about phyto-b and I look forward to trying it out. I am not so certain about the soy because I do know that it triggers the migraines along with a few other agents. I would like to try the phyto-b to see what it offers if anything.
    I would like to introduce it to my mom and my cousin who both have had hesterectomys. my mom does have thyroid concerns I am not sure what other concerns my cousin may have. Can someone comment?

• mikafilly
    11 years ago

I had a radical hysterectomy when I was 43, I am now 66 so for 23 years I have suffered from debilitating hot flashes, sweats and insomnia. I was on estrogen patches for 15 years but stopped them for fear of getting cancer, so the hot flashes, sweats and insomnia started up again. Three months ago I started seeing a Naturopath and she started me on Phyto-B and within days, my symptoms were gone. It is a balance of progesterone and estrogen which is bio-identical to what our body produces so it doesn't have the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs. I am also hypothyroid and had adrenal fatigue which was contributing to the insomnia and terrible fatigue during the day. I am now on Armour Thyroid 60 mg a day and adrenal support, which has helped me tremendously. I will never be 100% because I also have Lyme Disease, which is probably why my thyroid and adrenals were not working properly. Whenever you are chronically ill, it puts stress on the endocrine system. For anyone who is reluctant to try Phyto-B, I encourage you to try it. You have nothing to lose, but the hot flashes and sweats and you will probably even sleep better. I am taking 4 pellets in the AM and 4 pellets in the PM, less than that and I feel the symptoms creeping back in. I will be on it the rest of my life because it has been a blessing for me after years of suffering. I am single and feared being in a relationship again, because of vaginal dryness and pain, but that has all gone away as well.

• Karen064
    11 years ago

AHHH, Miracles to behold. I read about plant based natural hormone therapy with the book posted here, but in her book she speaks of going to your physician and having blood work drawn that will help them give you a prescription that you can take to the pharmacy and have mixed specifically for your blood count. Well I don't have insurance and that was an impossibility until I find work and get insurance coverage.

I will surely be getting me some of this and believe with certainty that I will be feeling better, much better, very soon. This is awesome to find this site of postings.

Thank you all for sharing!!!
    Gonna be better soon!!
    Karen

• Pam234
    10 years ago

I HAVE BEEN USEING PHYTO B FOR SOMETIME, AND IT DOES HELP HOT FLASHES, I WAS TAKING 3 PELLETS IN THE MORNING AND 3 AT BEDTIME IT TAKE A COUPLE OF MONTHS TO START WORKING. MY NUTRITIONIST TOLD ME TO TAKE THEM, AND NOW HAS CHANGE HER MIND, AND HAS STARTED ME ON AN OIL THAT THIS COMPANY MAKES, I DON'T KNOW IF I LIKE THE OIL AS MUCH, AND WITH THIS BUSY WEEKEND AM UNABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH DINA, SO I HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHY SHE CHANGE HER MIND ABOUT THE PHYTO B.

• Pam234
    10 years ago

THEY THE COMPANY HAVE DISCONTINUED THIS PRODUCT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT AT ALL ANYMORE, MY NUTRITIONIST NOW RECOMMENDS PHYTO B-L AN OIL BY THE SAME COMPANY 18- 20 DROPS TWICE ADAY, DON'T KNOW IF IT WORKS THE SAME WAY JUST STARTED USING IT.

• Pam234
    10 years ago

THEY THE COMPANY HAVE DISCONTINUED THIS PRODUCT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT AT ALL ANYMORE, MY NUTRITIONIST NOW RECOMMENDS PHYTO B-L AN OIL BY THE SAME COMPANY 18- 20 DROPS TWICE ADAY, DON'T KNOW IF IT WORKS THE SAME WAY JUST STARTED USING IT.

Sponsored