Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using rogaine for hair thinning

Posted by anathema (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 18:49

I have read a number of messages from women who say they have had success with men's rogaine. This prompted me to run to the drugstore to make my purchase. But when I read the label, I decided against buying it. It said "not for use by women." So my questions are for those women who are using it: Did your doctor tell you to try men's rogaine, as opposed to the women's formula? Is your hair thinning all over (mine is), or is it thinning like a man's, on top? And is anyone having any side effects, other than oily hair? I wonder why they warn against women users. I contacted the manufacturer and asked if it was safe for me to use their product for men and they didn't even answer my question. Kinda danced around it...I have an appointment with my doctor, but it is a month away, and I would like to get started ASAP. I know you all understand my anxiety! thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using rogaine for hair thinning

my sil uses it until he and dd2 tried to have a baby, then he quit using it for the entire 9 months.

know how hard it it to deal with but glad to see you waiting for your dr's advice...

o

Before I started taking Rogaine, I would have a complete exam by your gyn and get your sex and stress hormone levels checked. The reason I say this is that (if I remember correctly) thinning hair is caused by an excess of androgen hormones in relation to female sex hormones. Rogaine may be fine, but I would want to know what was causing my hair to significantly thin. But that's just me :)
Mrs H

o

I went to see my dermatologist yesterday for several reasons, one of which was hair loss/thinning. Mrs. H is right on when she talks about getting your hormone levels checked first. My dermatologist said it is an increase in the androgen hormones. My hair loss could be attributed to that, but I am also anemic, so that is another cause.

She said that using rogaine is fine and unlike men, women CAN stop using it.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl

o

Hi. I went to my doctor, finally. She didn't test me,but told me to take black cohosh daily and get more soy into me.I bought the black cohosh and had immediate results.I am losing only a couple of strands of hair after my shower,now.She also suggested going to GNC health store and getting vitamins specifically for hair. I didn't try that. As the Rogaine, she said I could try it, but to make sure I only use the women's formula. Thanks, Mrs. H and Cheryl!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here