Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long lasting ovulation pain

Posted by landygirl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 17:25

Have read the previous long post re ovulation pain which has helped me especially the description bowel/urine activity causing agonising pain as thats me!

I am 46 yrs old and perimenopausal and in past 18 months have only had two normal cycles and periods! I have just had hysteroscopy and D&C for irregular bleeding and spotting and flooding and all normal so its my hormones as they say.

Since a teenager I have experienced ovulation pain every month on right side lasting up to 2 days always ending on day 14 of cycle.

18 months ago when everything went haywire and my cycle could be from short to two months long I started getting ovulation pain at anytime of cycle and it was much much worse and lasted up to 5 days. I have had three ultrasound scans in last 18 months but everytime by time I get the scan the pain has gone and all is normal.

Also I can now go months without the pain but when I do get it its awful and last so long.

I call it the walking on eggs pain as everytime I stand up or sit down its like I am on eggs as I have to be that gentle!! Also I get the excrutiating pain just before I pass water or have a bowel movement it shoots from very low down right side of abdomen up to top of hip and over into back. If I press my lower abdomen very low down the pain is evil.

I have rushed to my Dr many times in last 18 months convinced I have appendicitis even though it is the same pain everytime and of course have blood test and its not appendicitis.

this last 18 months nothing is normal as I know it anymore so I don't know what is going to happen and I get in a panic. Previously whenever I got the ovulation pain I would know that it would go away everytime on day 14 but now everything is haywire I have no idea how long it will last.

this cycle I got to day 49!! and I started the ovulation pain and also slight bleeding and spotting. I am now on day 6 of this awful pain and its not getting any better.

Doe anyone else get this pain lasting long time??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long lasting ovulation pain

I don't know what to tell you if all your tests come back normal, except to be persistent with your gynecologist. What do you take for pain control?
Mrs H

o

I get ovarian cysts too. It's very common for women in their 40's and 50's because of the fluctuating hormones- primarily high levels of estrogen. Estrogen feeds the cysts- same way it does Endometriosis and some breast cancers. The cysts usually pop or dissipate on their own.

There's a couple things your Dr. could do. You could be put on birth control pills and that way your hormones are controlled. They could also give you Progesterone pills to counteract the estrogen that leads to the cysts.

I know Dr's won't do anything until you go 3 cycles or 3 months of bad ovulation pain. Lucky for me- my cysts always go away within that time:)

And Ibuprofin is the only thing that stops the pain for me when I get them.

Good luck!!

o

I, too have ovarian cysts and a fibroid. Usually, I can manage the pain with motrin. Last week, however, I had pain so severe that I was laying in the floor curled up in a ball. I went to the emergency room. After some blood tests and a ct scan they thought I had appendicitis. So, they operated. Come to find out that I had no appendix. My ovarian cyst had ruptured and was bleeding. This also made my endometriosis inflamed and was causing severe pain. My best advice for you is to keep a watch on the cysts by having regular ultrasounds. If it gets too bad, I'd have them removed. Best of luck to you!

o

I am 48 and have been having severe pain from ovarian cysts for the past 3 years. I also have break through bleeding that can go on for 3 weeks of the month. I've tried b/c pills, but they make me feel like I have the flu. I've been told by my ob/gyn there isn't really anything that can be done, but pain management. I don't want to have a premature hysterectomy. I went on lupron 9 months ago, but that made me have severe headaches, flu symptoms and continuous hip pain. I get very frustrated with the pain too, but have resigned myself to taking pain medication. Let me know if you have any better ideas. I also have a history of endometriosis for the past 25+ years. It's looks like my body produces too much estrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here