Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you know for sure you can't get preg anymore?

Posted by Sooz (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 03 at 15:17

My girlfriends and I were discussing this subject, as we are all "of an age."

How DO you know that you are "done" being fertile?

I've always heard that if you go a year without a period, you get your menopause *badge* and you don't have to worry about birth control or getting preg anymore.

If this is true, one gal said her DH was gonna be doing the *happy happy joy joy* dance in May 2004, as he'll be able to throw away all those c0nd0ms! (time for a PARTY!)

BUT WAIT...

Then, because I posted this on the wrong BB, a response was that many women have a "surprise" baby even tho they hadn't had a period for a year.

How can we over-50, not-having-periods women be really sure we're not fertile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you know for sure you can't get preg anymore?

the one word answer for me was "vasectomy".

o

Chance of having a term baby after age 42 or 43 is less than 10%. Those TV stars and aging models who have babies at 51 are using "donor" (aka "very expensive") eggs from younger women.

o

My aunt had a miscarriage at the age of 47 and a child at 49. Our family has late menopause, and I was concerned about this subject. My periods stopped when my doctor put me on HRT (years ago) at the age of 53. Until that time there was a possibility that I could get pregnant. She would tell me that my blood tests indicated that it was nearly impossible, but I feared that they would change.
These years were very uncomfortable to me. I was afraid that I would go to the doctor for a regular Pap smear and find out I was 6 months pregnant. I always used protection until it was almost impossible to get pregnant.
Sammy

o

When my doctor told me last week that I'm in menopause (FSH is 47, LH is 25), she also told me that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant anymore. As much as I would like to believe that, I don't want any surprises. I have to get a sonogram to check my uterine lining; I'm going to see if I can get more assurances at that time.

o

when do you know for sure? When they lower you into the ground....sorry, that wasn't very encouraging was it? My sense of humor has gotten rather weird during menopause.
Seriously, my aunt thought she couldn't get pregnant...had no period for years. Then, surprise! At 48 she walked down the isle at her daughter's wedding 8 months pregnant. It was a very tough time for her.

o

I am hoping it is after you have a total hysterectomy,(ovaries /tubes and cervis). If not then, I am really gonna be in trouble one day. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here