Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Psychological Changes of Menopause

Posted by xminion (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:52

What happened to all the hobbies and interests I have been working with for the past 30 years of my life? I've let them all slide (along with my figure) into oblivion. Since my periods stoped, it seems that nothing is of any real importance to me anymore. However, generally, most days, my mood is pretty good, it's just that everything I've worked hard on all my life - now I couldn't care less. Why?
Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Psychological Changes of Menopause

xminion, I could be your twin, lol. I have the same problems. Things that used to be so important just aren't anymore. I am going to the Dr. and try and figure out what I need to feel somewhat normal again. I have been on Paxil, didn't do anything for the moodiness and ANGER. So , I'm slowly weaning myself off of it. I think it could be an undeactive Thyroid and once again I'm getting that checked. It seems very prevelant in Menopausal women, because of the lack of estrogen.

I am taking really good supplements and I'm not seeing any real help from those, but I won't stop. I also started taking 5-HTP, which is an Amino Acid that contains Tryptophan, which is found in Turkey and Milk. It's suppose to help with leveling out moods, help to lose weight and also with sleep.

I might break down and go on Hormone Replacement, but at the lowest level possible, because I have a Family history of Cancer on both sides of the family.

Good luck and don't give up. You are worth it!!!

Susan

o
RE: Psychological Changes of Menopause

Hi Earthygal52,

Yes, that ANGER is really a phase. For me it lasted about 4-5 years followed by now a mellowing (too mellow) out. My experience with St. Johns' Wort had me feeling great - except for the upset stomach - so I stopped. L-Tyrosine, an amino acid, helps with moodiness - but not as much as SJW, IMHO.

For the thyroid thing, I know the Shouldstand position in yoga gets it in good working order - provided that there isn't anything else wrong.

Have your MD check your cortisol/adrenals as long as your going for the thyroid thing..... Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here