Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hormone replacement

Posted by
KATHLEEN
(KATHLEEN.HAGAN@appl.ge.com) on
Thu, Nov 29, 01 at 13:31

I had a complete hystorectomy 13 years ago. Since then I have gained 40 lbs. I am 53 and am presently on a hormone patch. I use to take a hormone shot. Problem was that I was still having hot flashes - and I was retaining fluid. Then I swithced to ortho prefest - this is normally giving to woman going through menapause - but I wanted to try to see if I would lose some weight. My hot flashes got worse and I didn't lose any weight - so I had to switch back to the patch. I am still having hot flashes but I don't want to increase dosage because I don't want to gain any more weight. I look like I am 3 mos pregnant. Now I don't know what to do. I am so depressed.

My girl friend is in menapause and she takes Triest - derivative of testosterone, Progesterone cream - rub on soft spots, belly/thighs every night, and potassium and magnesium (specially made from her doctor) once a month. She feels great and no weight gain.

I don't think my doctor will prescribe this for me because it is a more natural treatment. You know how traditional doctors are. I am 5'9" and weigh 162. I could handle the weight if my stomach didn't look like a watermellon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hormone replacement

It sounds as though what you are taking is not working for you. There are more hormone choice available to you--the few you have mentioned have not exhausted them.

Another way to think of the situation might be that if your doctor is not open to your preferences, to seek another doctor. Your goal should encompass health care that works for you, not your doctor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Survivor's Guide to Surgical Menopause

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here