Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My hormone levels

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 10:16

Just got the bloodwork back. My FSH is 103, my LH is 29.5, and my Estradiol is 22.

Not sure what this all means. Trying to get a hold of my GYN, but if anyone knows how to decipher this, I'd appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My hormone levels

cheerful1, I have an appt. tomorrow with my dr. to review my bloodwork. I plan to ask lots of questions, esp. what my levels mean, what the "normal" range is, etc.. We'll be having the HRT talk, too. I'll report back.

Tina

o

I appreciate that. My GYN appointment is next week. I'm curious to know what different doctors have to say about HRT. I really want my quality of life to improve over what it is now.

o

cheerful1, I met with my dr. yesterday. We talked about many things, and she said she would give me a copy of my test results so I didn't write them down at the time she was telling me. In the end, I walked out of there without it. Brain dead, I know! Anyway, I remember the FSH was 113, the estradiol was 42, but I don't remember the LH. Basically, what she told me was, my FSH is high and that indicates I am near menopause. Since my estrogen is at 42, that meant my ovaries were still functioning at some level. Given those numbers, she estimated that I would be in menopause in 12-15 mths. She said when my estrogen dropped lower, I'd probably be back complaining of hot flashes. I am getting some other tests before we talk HRT.

o

Thanks, Tina. Based on what your doctor said, my ovaries are functioning less than yours. I get wicked hot flashes, among other symptoms. I'll let you know what my doctor says after my visit next Tuesday.

o

Went to my GYN yesterday with a list of symptoms. She walked in and said "you have a list!", and laughed. I said I had to write down my litany of what's going on. She prescribed HRT called Activella. I Googled it, and found that it's a plant-derived estrogen, and a plant-based progestin. I'll be on it for 6 months, then go back to her. I also have to get a sonogram to check my uterine lining.

She said to me that a lot of her patients come in with these symptoms, thinking they need to see a psychiatrist. While HRT is a personal decision, she sees improvement in her patients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here