SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldensmom_gw

Estroven?

goldensmom
18 years ago

I stopped prempro 2 weeks ago and started to take Black Cohosh 540mg 4 days ago. Am now having terrible headaches but can't find anything that says this is a side effect. Anyway I'm thinking about taking Estroven because I have read alot of good things about it and it has only 40mg of Cohosh in it. Anybody else taking this. BTW I am on my 6 year of hot flashes & night sweats. Don't know if they are ever going to go away without being on something. Ugh!!

Comments (77)

• patriciafrix
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Estroven didn't work for me, It made my legs have really bad cramps. NOTHING has worked! My Newest thing Pomegranate 500 mg a day, I'll try ANYTHING! HA! Anybody tried this??

• kitchenstumpt2
    15 years ago

I have used the Extra Strength Estroven and found it EXTREMELY helpful. I found myself dripping wet at night. During the day, my make-up melted off my face and slid down my collar. This menopause stuff is not for the faint of heart.

My question: Suddenly I have been having a much higher blood pressure reading. I never had a problem with blood pressure before. I totally forgot to mention the Estroven to my new doctor. I am slim (ha! for my age, I am!) and I eat well. Has anyone seen an increase in blood pressure as a result of over the counter remedies?

• Related Discussions

Can we talk? I'm 54 and going crazy.

Q

Comments (75)
    Unfortunately, I agree w/auntjen. My family has doctors in it back several generations (including one ancestor who treated people in both the Union and Confederate armies, believing that people are people no matter what), but they'd all be spinning in their graves/urns to see what's become of "medicine" and associated industries today. Big pharma doesn't feel it really has to "prove anything with science", either, as evidenced by the rampant cheating, misreporting, ignoring side effect reporting, balancing how many lives they can lose before the damages payments become overwhelming, before they have to do a recall, etc. Or maybe they feel the right to prove anything they want with 'science', is another way to look at it. Basically, as auntjen said, profit conquers all. Kind of funny to be warning against alternatives when some big pharma products have *just above* been revealed to be horrendous and decptively advertised. If I had waited for conventional medicine to address my hormonal issues adequately, I'd probably be in a mental hospital by now. Geting a friend's mom's reference to Emerita pro-gest when I was about 40 was the best medical thing to happen to me next to having cancerous moles taken off and a heart attack stopped with incredibly high levels of nitroglycerine. OH, and last month my pharmacy which has known me for about 5 years once again messed up my prescription for something I take every day, giving me a yet-cheaper generic rather than the somewhat-less-cheap generic they had been giving me before, even though I've told them every single month to order the somewhat-less-cheap one for me because the yet-cheaper one just *doesn't work*. Did I check this last month? NO, because I was harried and I guess I trusted them. I know them all by first name, one mom's daughter is on my daughter's XC team...but I was miserable for a MONTH because of human error in mainstream medicine, and because the so called generic "identical" meds, with loads of "science" stats behind them, are anything but. I don't trust any of it anymore.
    ...See More

Is it or isn't it?

Q

Comments (4)
    My suspicion is perimenopausal changes, but don't hold me to it :) I took soy supplements for about 3-4 years, but stopped for a couple of reasons. #1 they didn't really seem to help with any of my symptoms, and #2, after reading and reading about soy, it occured to me that assuming I still had some ovarian function and my own natural estrogen, I didn't want to take something that could compete with estrogen at the estrogen receptor site level. In other words, I would rather have my own estrogen binding to receptors, than an imitation that is not estrogen, but rather mimics it. Does this make any sense? My line of reasoning may be in error, but my symptoms did not worsen when I stopped the soy, so I can see no harm done. If I was going to try and supplement, I would go the bio-identical hormone route, or try some of the herbal supplements. Just my two cents, and probably worth about that much, lol. Mrs H
    ...See More

Silk or Satin Sheets???

Q

Comments (3)
    I am having better sleep with "Modal Jersey sheets" from JC Penney. They are made from the Modal fabric that has a wick a way moisture capacity. They are online but look like discontinued as only twin and king available but I was able to get a queen set in a store at 60% off. I was sleeping on Percale sheets which felt cool but when those night sweats occur it is like laying on plastic. I have also been reading about sheets and blankets made of Bamboo, sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Target and I will try them as well.
    ...See More

heart palpatations hor flushes

Q

Comments (1)
    Eating healthy foods and keeping physically fit are important to feeling your best in the years leading up to menopause and beyond. Here is a link that might be useful: Menopause and Menopause Treatments
    ...See More
  • louannie
    15 years ago

After taking Estroven PM (not extra strength) for about 3 weeks (for hot flashes and sleeplessness), both symptoms were almost completely eradicated for me. But here's the kicker....I had a light, light period after about a month on it, and feel like I'm fixing to have another one (about another month later). So I don't know if the Estroven took care of the symptoms and also caused the period, or if I was going to have it anyway and that is what caused my symptoms to go away. (When I was still having periods irregularly during perimenopause, the symptoms would abate a little before, during, and a little after a period.)

I had not had a period for over a year before taking the Estroven, and had been having some pretty serious hot flashes and sleeplessness, so I think I was post-menopausal. I'm afraid to stop taking the Estroven to test it, because of the possibility of the misery starting up again, and also because of the person who said it didn't work after they stopped and started again!

I could only find one reference on the internet to this happening to someone else, and the doctor who answered her questions said it was doubtful that the Estroven caused the periods. Has anyone else had this experience?

Btw, I'm only 47 now and not having periods has been heaven!! :)

• ford2m
    15 years ago

I bought Extra Strength Estroven from an eBay seller and my hot flashes completely disappeared. I then bought Extra Strength Estroven and Estroven PM again on eBay.

I noticed that the Estroven PM version pills were coated with a terrible tasting substance. This second batch of Extra Strength Estroven has a bad coating taste, but not as bad as the PM version.

The Estroven PM did not make me go to sleep, and this latest batch of Extra Strength Estroven has not helped my hot flashes in the least!!

Yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart and bought Estroven Maximum Strength, came home, and cut open a pill to compare it to the eBay batch that didn't work. The inside of the pills looked the same.

If you have taken the Extra Strength or PM versions of Estroven, will you post if they have a bad taste or don't work, especially if you bought them online.

After seeing on tv about fake medicines, etc., from overseas, I'm thinking that I may have purchased fake Estroven.

Just had a hot flash that went away. lol Hoping this new batch will work!

Oh, you only have to take one of the Maximum Strength Estroven, but you take two of the Extra Strength version.

• louannie
    15 years ago

Yes, the PM version has a bad taste....like tar. Have to swallow them quickly! I've been able to get sleepy since I started taking them, but I can't say for sure if it's the herbs in the pill or a change in hormones that's caused it. I'm gonna keep taking them just in case! (unless I start getting the symptoms again, then I'll know it was just a fluke)

• lbshoe55
    15 years ago

For any of you who are looking for a good book about female hormones, I recommend Screaming to be Heard by Elizabeth Lee Vliet.

I've been experiencing peri symptoms at age 38, and started reading this book to see if my hormones were the cause of my symptoms...disrupted sleep, dry hair and skin, depression, bouts of irritability and anger, weight gain around my waist, night sweats, etc.

I have learned so much about my hormones that I decided to get out of my HMO insurance plan and onto a PPO. I found that the HMO did minimal to help me. They ran a few blood tests, told me my results were "normal" and told me to see a therapist (it was all in my mind). I'm halfway through the book and have learned it's not "in my head", the HMO didn't run all the tests they needed to get a full picture. So, I went to an insurance plan that allows me to seek the care I feel I need.

It is our responsibility to make sure we get good health care, and when it comes to hormone issues, a majority of the medical community just doesn't get it. Don't let anyone tell you, "It's all in your head"!

• skiney
    15 years ago

it was 9 months without my period when i started getting hot flashes day and night,tired all the time,moody.Heard about estroven went to the store bought the estroven energy about 2 1/2 months I started feeling great.The month of May it was a year without my period and I've started my period again.Could it have been the estroven not for sure.Thought about stopping them to see how i would feel but i dont want the hot flashes back..Yuck!!

• kelly1967
    15 years ago

I'm a googleholic so that's how I found this site. It's been really interesting reading all of the posts. I'll try to be brief. I"m 40, back when I was 33 I got a hyst. with ovaries left in (they were healthy back then). I got the hyst. because I was bleeding more often than I wasn't and a D and C was unsuccessful. I was so tired from bleeding all the time, I already had two kids, so I opted for surgery. Almost immediately after the surgery my physical problems started and have not stopped. I was never an "ill" person. I started having severe stomach problems. Then ill all of the time, no immune function. Then told I have Epstein Barre. One thing after another, year after year. I've been to so many dr.s so often I figure I should have my own private suites. My husband, BLESS HIS HEART, says "go to the dr." and I just cry. Dr.s here in Lancaster, Ca. look at you for about 30 secondss if you're lucky. I"ve had my left ovary removed due to a large cyst. NOONE told me I would gain so much weight after that surgery that people wouldn't even recognize me! NOONE told me that peri or menopause or whatever is going on with me would happen almost immediately. I still have one ovary and was told it has cysts in it, too. I feel like my quality of life dropped dramatically after that ovary surgery, way more so than the hyst. I was thin pre-hyst, then I was perfect weight pre-ovary removal, now I"m just plain fat and I don't eat any more than I used to. I eat and drink healthy and it does nothing. I walk, too. I feel worn out all the time, weak, moody , I snap at my husband and kids then feel awful because It's not ME! The Dr.s have tested my hormones and say they're fine??????? I have night sweats sometimes and hot flashes, too. The "brain fogs" make me feel like I"m an absolute idiot. Anyway, my estroven is sitting on the table waiting for me. I'm so sensitive to meds, the reason I looked it up in the first place was to see if there were any side effects. I"m the kind of person that if a med. is supposed to make you tired, I"ll be up all night crawling the ceiling. If it's supposed to be "non-drowsy" I"ll be trying to stay awake I'll be so tired. If anyone has any funky side effect, please let me know. Glad I found all of you. Thanks in advance, Kelly

• eloa
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried Estroven maximum strenght? Any problems with weight gain, ect.?

• SweetSmile_23_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I am 52, 5'6", 140 lbs, in good health, physically active, bicycle, hike, garden, snow ski, etc. I had a hysterectomy with ovaries left 5 years ago. Suddenly, 4 weeks ago, without warning, I had a hot flash 30 seconds after I went to bed. They have not stopped since. I was waking up MULTIPLE times a night and flashing during the day as well. I had a hot flash every time I ate....anything!! Here is what I did.

I watched my food, ate only at times that were right for my schedule and cut out any triggers after 5 pm. I am adding soy milk.

I wiped down with a cold cloth and drank cold water before going to bed and drank cold water whenever I was feeling the onset during the day.

I placed a cold wet cloth on my nightstand and as soon as I felt a hot flash in the middle of the night, I threw it on my face, neck, chest and wiped down my legs and arms.

I used deep breathing and relaxing to cool down and regulate my heart as a daily exercise. I added cold, wet cloth if necessary to enhance the feeling of 'cool' on my skin.

I practiced taking control of my emotions through deep breathing, positive thought, exercise, getting outside as soon as possible and doing everything I possibly could to enhance my calm. ( Believe it or not, forcing a smile while breathing and relaxing actually helped calm myself as well)

This all helped, but I was still waking about 8 or 9 times at least every night.

I purchased Estroven PM 5 days ago and started taking it before I go to bed.

I only woke up twice last night and the 'flash' was mild and I returned to sleep. I am noticing a weight gain and am adjusting my diet to see if I can control it. I am going to monitor this very closely.

I will stay on this as long as it works, and if it stops working, I will go to my doctor and talk to him frankly and honestly as I consider him part of my team in life. I will determine to keep moving forward and fight for my happiness.

I want to feel empowered, even if I am not, and I am stubborn enough to convince myself that I will be a part of my mental and physical well being as an active participant instead of a victim of my age.

So, I am adjusting my life, keeping active and exercising, and doing whatever I can to help my body maintain control. I have a choice to live within my body without fighting against it and I am not turning my back on anything that will help me do that.

As of this date, Estroven PM is working for me.

• twolips
    15 years ago

Hi Ladies, here is my 2 cents worth! Not the same as all of you, I have breast cancer, therefore can not do the HRT. Chemo threw me into major menopause x 10. 30 flashes or more a day. I also refer to them as my "Private Summer". Anyways, where I am getting my treatment, they have naturopathic Dr.s there to help you. I have been on Black Cohosh, no help. Black Cohosh with Vit E, no help. Pulsatilla, no help. Lichesis, no help. Currently I am taking 2 tbls of natural organic flaxseed meal with 1 tbls of natural organic flaxseed oil. I do this in the morning and before I go to bed. This has reduced my flashes at least by 50% and they are not as severe. Tuesday I will be done with radiation and 2 weeks after that I am to add the Vit E again, to see if we can get more of an affect. Can not take Vit E during radiation. I will try to update on that later.
    Good luck to all of you.

• tuckandyou_q_com
    14 years ago

I am 53 and have been dealing with insomnia, hot flashes, lack of concentration and periods of light-headednes for about 3 yrs. I tried evening primrose (1000 mg, 3x a day) and a natural liver support capsule which brought the "roar" down to a "whisper" for about 3 months, then I went off of them and the symptoms came back. I may try them again. The thing is your hormones can be in a lull stage sometimes and then come back. It's been interesting to me, how many doctors don't take these symptoms very seriously, when they really impact every area of our lives, including the fact that I am not able to apply for jobs that I would have felt competent doing before (lack of focus, brain fogs). There is no way you can explain this reality to someone in a way that they can understand it unless they have experienced it themselves. I would love to try bio-identical hormones (identical to the hormones in a woman's body, derived from plants), but the initial tests are a bit expensive. If you have the right doctor and insurance, you can get the tests covered, though. Suzanne Somers swears by them, and I personally know 3 women who take them and say they feel great. I believe once the initial blood tests are done (to see where your individual hormone levels are), the expense of maintenance isn't bad. When I was in Southern California, I was going to contact the Hall Center in Santa Monica (see website), but we are now in Colorado, so I will eventually try to find something here.
    Watch out for premarin and prempro. It was explained to me by a doctor and a pharmacist that the hormones in most HRT are not identical to those in a woman's body. Google "premarin" and notice the scary websites about aborted medical studies due to serious side effects before the studies could be completed. Horses have extra hormones not present in a human. Premarin (from pregnant mare) is derived from the urine of a pregnant horse kept in less than humane conditions. Google this, and you will be appalled. Knowledge is power. For ethical reasons alone, I will tough out my symptoms if necessary.
    Some women are ok on premarin and prempro, but for most of us this kind of HRT is like Russian Roulette. Especially steer clear if you have a history of breast cancer, stroke or cardiovascular disease in your family.
    In the meantime, judging from the comments here, I will give estroven a try. Good luck, everyone!

• sherrirbgr
    13 years ago

I'll be 52 in October. I've been taking Estrovn Extra Strength (Kroger brand) for most of the summer and it seemed to calm my hot flashes down by 50%. I haven't tried taking the PM version because I take Tylenol PM at night to help with the sleeplessness and the pain. I see a lot of posts about night time pain, and I wonder if y'all might have Fibromyalgia. You might want to google it and check out the symptoms. I am currently controlling the flares by taking Tylenol 8 hour religiously, 90 mg Cymbalta, 60 mg of Lyrica X2, and a muscle relaxer. On this regimen, I am doing really well.

Fibromyalgia is a miserable "syndrome" (as they are calling it now), and I think the fact that it strikes more women in their 40's and 50's has to do with hormones. I have always been low in progesterone all my life (my Mom took DES while pregnant with me). I got pregnant 2 weeks off the pill (after being on it for 5 years -- since I was 17 due to horrible, excruciating periods), and my GYN kept saying there was no way I was pregnant. 9 months later, a beautiful baby girl. But after that, I had 4 miscarriages before they figured out the low progesterone issue and put me on progesterone suppositories. Viola! 9 months later, another beautiful baby girl.

Periods were horrible afterwards, couldn't schedule anything around my period because it was a moving target. I had 2 miscarriages after my last daughter, and then I said enough and went back on the pill until I was 46. OB/GYN said at 36 I needed a hysterectomy, but I didn't want to lose anything in my endocrine system, so refused until I was 46 and having horrible periods 3 weeks out of 4. Afterwards, wished I had done it years before; it is amazing how much pain you can tolerate until it is suddenly gone. Kind of like getting an epidural before birth -- you're like OMG, I feel so much better! I didn't realize my back and hips were that miserable!

Perimenopause was awful up to hysterectomy, and then 4 years ago (at 48), BAM -- into menopause. Horrific migraines, mood swings, just wanting to cut everybody... and then the typhoon hot flashes started. OMG, I feel like I'm a horn blower -- I take 1 shower and 1 bath a day because I literally soak my clothes... unless I take Estroven religiously. Then it's more like, dang it's hot, but you're not having to take a tea towel with you everywhere to mop your face, neck and arms. The past 4 times I've gone Krogering, I buy flour sack towels to wipe myself down. It's horrible!

Somebody mentioned a damp/wet towel... maybe I should keep moist towelettes in my purse to wipe myself down after a deluge... at least until the Estroven kicks in again (I've been out a week, and I'm hoping that I've not acclimated to it!).

Someone talked about makeup melting. I now only use waterproof eyeliner and waterproof mascara. I use a lipstain instead of lipstick. When you are mopping your face regularly, why waste the makeup? For awhile, I used tinted moisturizer, but now I'm even having problems with moisturizer just sitting on my face and not absorbing into my skin. I keep thinking a new type will help, but until I find one that says "will absorb into oily, sweaty skin" I am going to save my money.

The weirdest thing -- I have had thinning hair since my mid 40's, and after two months of taking Estroven, my hair is thickening up again! I used to use a smaller "clamp" to pull my hair up and roll it against the back of my head (like a french twist), and now the smaller clamps are too small for my hair -- I've had to move up to medium clamps. It would be so nice to have thick hair again... and nails that didn't split vertically... :-( No fix on that yet.

I think I'm going to go to a holistic doctor and have them run a battery of tests to find out just what I'm low in. I have a sneaking suspicion that I don't need estrogen as much as progesterone. There is a group of centers nationwide that deal specifically with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue that seem to get the whole hormone issue, but normal insurance doesn't pay for it. I have a PPO, so maybe... I think I'll make the appt -- I will try ANYTHING to try to get back to normal, where my brain is sharp, I'm not exhausted all the time, and not having to take painkillers, antidepressants (also for pain), and muscle relaxers 24 hours a day.

I'll try to come back and update if things change. Those of you who posted so long ago -- when does it stop?!?

• caroljones_bigriver_net
    13 years ago

i had a partial hysterectomy 14 years ago, a few years ago my night sweats/hot flashes started. i found the best relief from kroger brand estroven. stopped everything. also i found at night, i cut the heat off to my bedroom and we usually leave the window cracked or use a window airconditionaire to keep the room around 50 degrees. i have a heated mattress pad to put on warm to keep my body from getting too cold. this has also made a world of difference in my ability to sleep has all but eliminated the nasal problems. haven't had a sinus infection in several years. the only time i have a hot flash or night sweat now is when i forget to take the estroven for three days in a row, i then take two a day for three days to catch up, then everythingt is just fine again... I now sleep at least 8 to 10 hours everyday and feel wonderful.....

• amazedbygrace7_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Carol(jones) I'm sure hoping and praying my outcome is as good as yours! I'm 45 and still have regular periods but...my mood swings, sleepless nights and night sweats are killing me... and my husband. :( Just took my first pill tonight...i'm hoping and praying in a few days or at least weeks things will turn around.

• mammaoffour_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Oh my god, sooo glad I found you guys. I have been thinking i was loosing my mind. Im 47 still having normal periods, but gaining weight sweating, not sleeping and wanting to slap everyone around me! I cant think for two clear seconds in a row, I loose everything its terrible. I just took ,my first estroven tonite, praying it works. God love my husband he is really being supportive, but I dont think he can do 10 years of this!!!!! He has started calling me Sybil because I have two different personalities. We have been married 25 years, I hope this doesnt kill it!

• gud7_cdc_gov
    12 years ago

What a terrible road we women must travel just for being a woman. I've been taking Estroven for three years now for perimeno stuff. Had a hysterectomy for adenomyosis (a medical condition characterized by the presence of ectopic glandular tissue found in the uterine muscle) and cyst on my left ovary. I have my right ovary, but the little guy is pooping out. I've had no hot flashes thank goodness, but goodness gracious, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY MIND?! I'm suffering from Mr. Magoo of the brain! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast, just plain scary. I thought I was getting Alzheimers! But nope, the phone call from my doc today revealed that I'm estrogen deficient. Great. He's putting me on HRT like NOW. The Estroven did wonders for me, it helped me sleep and my emotional level (lack of Linda Blair episodes) evened out. I suppose it can't keep up anymore considering my mind is in a constant fog...not good when you forget where you're going while driving! I'll post back what it's like taking Estroven and HRT after a week. Till then, wish me luck!

• mrsddavis1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

God bless all of you ladies. I too vowed not to take anything; just grin and bear it but I can't take it anymore. At 48, I'm taking my first Estroven tonight and I am praying for a miracle. Between the hot flashes at meetings in front of everyone to the inability to sleep at night..hot, cold, cold, hot, I am so over this. And my poor husband...he knows the look jumps up starts turning on air, fan, openning windows and doors. he's a real trooper. When this all started together we sat down and looked at symptoms. We made a decision he would pay me no mind for the next 10 years or so (he's getting a free pass to ignore me)We'll see what happens

• momsdaughter
    12 years ago

OK, ladies, based on this input, and at my husband's urging, I just bought estroven. I had a partial hysterectomy 6 yrs. ago. Hot flashes and night sweats started about 3 weeks ago and I am already exhausted! I will let you know how it goes.

• geri_brewer_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I started taking estroven 2 wks. ago. Night sweats are better but.... DAY SWEATS, OMG. My mood is what's bothering me. My relationship is going to crumble if I don't do something! I need some answers! love the fact that it has helped w/ the night sweats. Blessing! But my .. well let's put it this way, I could strangle everyone I come in contact with. GRRRRR. I'm not like this! HELP???????

• yepjustjo_msn_com
    12 years ago

I've just started taking Estroven Nighttime and am really pleased with the results. I'm sleeping much better and the night sweats have lessened considerably. What a relief! Now if I could just find something to stop the daytime sweats -- every day, between 11:00 a.m. and noon. No hot flashes, just dripping wet with sweat. My students have even commented on it -- how embarrassing is that?!

• beauty2009
    12 years ago

Hi goldensmom I totally sympathise with you lovey i have tried just about everything you can shove into your body to try to get some relief from the horrible sweats etc i too was put on clonidine i couldnt take them during the day they made me feel drunk i couldnt get out of bed i tried doing 1 at night but to be honest it didnt do a thing except make me sleep for a while ive ended up back on the HRT patches be it the lowest dose possible it does help ive gotta be honest i found if i do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off it seems to help a lot ive had a hysterectomy at 30 due to endometriosis and im 47 now started at 45 with this peri thing i do take a multi vit with iron and a b6 and half a magnesium daily this does seem to help i think estroven was a complete waste of money along with black cohosh and all the other so called remedies which just didnt work at all for me the blood pressure pills made me sweat i had to stop them so now i just have a low dose elleste solo patch which helps i dont use it for the whole time just 2 weeks at a time i think that way my body builds up the hormone it needs and then uses it slowly so i think my menopause will tail off and with that i wont go into full blown relapse when i no longer take the patch its a kind of weaning process but over a longer time i will know when i dont need it and my body wont go into shock and im not having it to a point where it could hurt my body maybe you could try this method it may help i was dead against hrt at first but my method of use doesnt leave me dependant for years i just get my own control and relief i do feel more positive now that i have found my own way after nearly 3 years of struggling and spending a fortune hope this helps you a bit hun i know just how frustrating and dissapointing it can be when you are not getting any results no matta how hard you try ok x

• mylittleredbarn
    12 years ago

So glad to find this forum. I'm 36 years old with a family history of early menopause. When all this starts earlier than usual, it is very difficult to be taken seriously initially. In the past six months, I've noticed symptoms getting more intense and frequent, especially mood and anxiety swings and changes in my flow. I have said until recently that I wanted to just power through this deal without meds or hormones, but the last few weeks have been horrible. Weepy, angry, feel worthless, obsess over the craziest stuff. Have been on an herbal supplement, Change-o-Life (sounds so corny), that seemed to help at first in the fall, but not lately. I also quit taking it regularly (not good, I know) when it seemed to not be helping as much. I also take a daily multi. Anyway, today was day 11 in a row of just feeling not like me. I went to the dr. this week and the diagnosis I got was simply hormonal fluctuations and a prescription for the pill. After my own research and the dr.'s warning of side effects of the pill after 35, I felt very trapped by this whole situation. I am so blessed to have a husband who listens and then tries to help me find a healthy, workable plan. Neither of us felt good about the pill at this point, but I am going to revamp my exercise routine and thought process. I am going to cut back on my caffiene and sugar. I also got the generic of Estroven Extra Strength today. I know it's too soon, but after just half a day after my first dose, I feel more like myself, more in control of my emotions and not near as consumed by worry. Perhaps that's just my wishful thinking kicking in or my hormones leveling out a little anyway today, but it's nice to feel like me tonight instead of falling asleep hoping to wake up tomorrow feeling better. What is scary is how anything you take has health warnings, including this natural supplement when you research the ingredients online. But this menopause deal is more than I bargained for, and for now, I am opting for getting back to me with as little risk as possible, and for me, I feel better about this than going on the pill. Reading the posts ahead of this one has sure helped me not feel near so alone in this. I am normally a very happy, positive person with a family I love so much, and I want to stay that way. I don't want the mood swings and anxiety and all the unpredictability of this phase to have a negative effect on how I am as a wife and mom. So it's time to be proactive so I can be me, for me and the people I love most.

• jeanbutlerqueen_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

my dr put me on estradiol without taking any blood work. is this right

• mikesmomto2_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am 44 and have been taking estrovan for 3 days now. I also take black cohosh and a mild anti-depressant....I will say that my hot flashes seem to be not as bad however I still wake up at 3 a.m. I went from numerous hot flashes a day to maybe 3 or 4. If I could only sleep through the night. My irritability seems better. I actually had a whole conversation with my husband tonight. I was just so angry at everything and everyone. Then I would cry. i say if your dr. wants to put you on a mild anti-depressant thats ok....she even suggested the other 2 pills. I went from no pills to 3 pills a day but its worth it.

• DB53
    12 years ago

Be patient with Estroven. I take max strength and it took about 3-4 weeks to get results. Very few hot flashes, better sleep at night and better energy again. Question though...anyone having any acne issues while taking Estroven? Never really had an acne issue until now, even as a teen.

• vanlindy_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been using Estroven Plus for about 2 years but lately, the flashes are worse and the night sweats too. I decided to try something new called i-Cool and so far, I can't tell if it's working or not. Has anybody tried Amberen? Like a lot of you, I wanted to avoid HRT or anything that isn't natural but it gets to the point where you feel so awful you just become willing to put up with potential risks. Last question for the group: bioidentical hormone cream worked for me for about 6 months then quit - read online that's b/c it becomes absorbed by the fatty tissue in the body where it's applied and no longer reaches the bloodstream so vaginal suppository is supposed to be the way to apply. Anybody doing that? Is it working?

• bearcatbandmom
    12 years ago

I started having really wicked hot flashes about 2 months ago and was having a tough time sleeping. Started taking Estroven and at 4 weeks, the hot flashes were a lot more mild and at 6 weeks they are completely gone. So - it wasn't a real quick thing for me, but I am really glad I stuck with it. I have a history of cardiovascular disease and breast cancer in my family and really don't want to go down the hormone road.

• emptynester17
    12 years ago

I have been taking Estrovin in the morning with my vitamin c and taking the nighttime one with my calcium at dinner time for about 3 months. At first my 10 hot flashes during the day was cut down to maybe 1 and I slept very well. Now I get 2 or 3 during the day and maybe one or 2 at night. I really never got sweats just flashes. I have cut down on on my sugar intake and drink only one coffee a day. I have uped my exercise and doing very well with this.

• cyara
    11 years ago

After having a hysterectomy at 28 I started the hot flashes, etc almost immediately. Now I am 62 and sorry to say to all you that are hoping for an end to it all, I am still dealing with hot flashes & night sweats all day and night. Tried HRT (Premarin) for a few years in my 30's, the black cohash route, amberen and estroven all to no avail. Only relief I have comic relief about the whole situation and never leave home without 3 fans and a handful of paper towels (they don't fall apart as easily as tissues. Best of luck to y'all and keep smiling & wiping.

• topcat65
    10 years ago

It is nice to read others' comments. I think y'all have helped. Will let you know.
    I started with the night sweats/hot flashes about ten years ago. I started taking Estroblend (generic) and it kept them in check. I stopped taking it about a year ago to see if the night sweats were gone and they immediately came back so I started taking Estoblend again and they stopped. I have started taking Estroven in the last couple of months and the night sweats/ hot flashes are back. That's why I am here.
    After reading some of your comments, I will go back to the Estroblend TODAY and see if the night sweats/flashes will stop again. Other than that, I have not had any other ill effects of menopause (I am 48) other than having two or three mini menstrual cycles a month (but only every two or three months).. Usually I just have a mini cycle each month.
    Hope this helps someone and good luck to all.
    Will let you know if it helps.

• mommasutton
    10 years ago

Love this forum. So yes I started with the hot flashes and read about Maca root. It's from Peru and stimulates the body into producing hormones versus replacing them. Found them for 3.99 on Swanson Health and started taking them. First they all but removed the hot flashes. Now I get hot flashes but they only last a few minutes. Was considering trying Estroven but now I think I should try upping my dosage to 2 pills and see if that helps. BTW Dr. Oz talked about Maca for men to use. Seems it is touted as a stamina enhancer. They can be expensive so check out Swanson for the best prices. For $4 it was worth a try for me.

• topcat65
    10 years ago

Well, after 3 weeks back on my generic estroven (estroblend) the hot flashes and night sweats have pretty much disappeared. YES! Life is good again.

• Genie_49
    10 years ago

I am so glad I found this site.
    I have been dealing with hot flashes and other menopause related symptoms for about a year now (I am 49)
    I am not one to take pills/meds (not even mild painkillers) so the idea of starting HRT scares me.
    That said, my symptoms are starting to worry me. I am having constant headaches, my already poor sleep has gotten so much worse, I am forgetful, cry at the drop of a hat for no reason, have muscle/bone pain and I'm tired all the time.
    Any of this symptoms is bad enough to make anyone wish for a remedy, but the entire set is so worrying because they basically make you into a different person.
    I am thinking about giving Estroven and a multivitamin a chance and will try to stick to it if it works (it will be hard due to my aversion to all kinds of pills/tablets)
    I will report back with my results.
    Thanks much to everyone for sharing, it helps to know that there are other people out there who understand what one is going through.

• Photodove8
    9 years ago

Hello all
    I never really post on any blogs, but since I share the discomforts of menopause here and happy to find the thread, I wanted to contribute my experiences. I started taking Estroven a few months ago, and similar to a few people who posted here...I often forgot as I am not a "pill taker". In any case as my hot flashes, night sweats and brain fogs grew worse, I made it a point to take the Estoven daily (it was not the maximum, but the energy booster). Estroven recommends 60 days before you will see a marked difference. In short, I started to feel human and normal again. I was sleeping, very little to no hot flashes, a miracle drug! Then out of the blue after not getting my period in close to a year and a half, I got it I got myself to my gyn immediately. I had a sono and it was normal. I brought the Estroven box for my dr to see the ingredients. He immediately told me to go off it. He and and the ultra sound technician said that anything with Estro is estrogen, so it is a drug, not a natural OTC supplement. He said no damage done, but that it is not FDA regulated (on the box). It means you may have the right amount of soy and black cohash in one box, none in another and way too much in the third. He recommended I stop it and come back in six months where they will give me hormones that are balanced the way the body intended. Estoven taken over long periods of time can lead to uterus cancer. If I was going to take the drug long term then I would probably see bleeding due to the amounts of estrogen in the drug. Of course everyone is different and you need to make your own decisions. I am sad to part with what I thought was something that solved my menopausal woos! I will see what the next six weeks brings. Trying to exercise, vitamins and eat right, but not looking forward to those hot flashes coming back. My best to you all!

• cbarth1956
    8 years ago

I have been on Estroven for about one year, I have had great success with the product. I no longer am plagued with daily hot flashes or night sweats. Has helped with my moodiness also. I have however given up caffeine not sure if that's why it worked or not.

• rmccor55
    8 years ago

Hey Ladies...glad I found this. At 57, I just within the last 6 months have been having the brain fog, along with the anxiety. It's awful. My Dr. has tried me on several different meds, but alas I have terrible side effects to them. I just started taking Estroven for brain and mood 3 days ago and I have to say, I don't feel like I'm as much in a fog as usual. I have never had a hot flash or night sweat and at this point, I probably won't. My Mom at 77 never did either, along with my Grama who live to be 100. The fogginess though is awful. The only way to describe it, is like I have a hang over all the time. Like I said, only after 3 pills, I am sure hoping this works.

• Toni Mlachnik
    8 years ago

54 years old and ready to lop off my head and call it a day. Hot flashes and night sweats won. I don't know what to do anymore. I cool worked for a long time but stopped. Estroven not working. Help!

• shaknzmom
    8 years ago

Toni - I tried a number of things with very little luck...including Vitanica Women's Phase which just made me grumpy and gain a lot of weight! Then I tried Natrol Complete Balance. There is a morning pill and an evening pill. I used that for about 3 years. At that point I think my body became saturated and it no longer worked. I should have taken more breaks from it than I did. I've now been in menopause for 13 years (started at 38). The brain fog ended about 5 years ago, the sudden feelings of rage has subsided, I've found hot flashes to be related to caffeine and some foods so I try to avoid them. I still have a huge hot flash when I go to bed and when I wake up....my mattress feels like it's on fire. My lovely husband fans my back for me every night. :-) I'm tall and my weight was about 170 when I started meno...I topped out at 205. I've found that if I follow a ketogenic food list I can lose weight - I lost 23 lbs last summer but gained 10 back when I went back to eating carbs.

A few things that help me....

- Walking helps, but be ready to have a hot flash. Zumba is great too!

- In the shower, turn the water a little cooler than normal.

- Give yourself some time alone to cry, seethe, whatever you need to do.

Hang in there.....

• Toni Mlachnik
    8 years ago

just very frustrated. i bought soy milk to try tonight. wish me luck

• shaknzmom
    8 years ago

They say soy can help....I haven't tried it. No matter what you try...remember to give it time to work. Patience is really important.... :-)

• intellectualbrat
    8 years ago

Hello ladies, hope you are all doing well.

I'm about to go crazy with this menopause.

I just turned 49 and my period stopped 2 yrs ago, for about 9 months now I have gained more or less 50 pounds, I cry for no reason,I'm depressed,panic attacks, I feel like my head weights 40 pounds,can't sleep at night,mood swings, should I go on?

I feel like I'm dying and nobody is telling me. I started taking Estroven 5 days ago and I'm hoping it will work. Did I mention the dry itchy skin? Ahhh.

Can anyone recommend anything else that can also help please.

• intellectualbrat
    8 years ago

Dorishill I know it's been a while but just wanted to know how you are doing. I made a copy of all the vitamins you were taking so I can start taking them also. I have been going thru hell with all these symptoms...I don't know how much more of this I can take, I feel like I'm dying. These are the moments when I wish I was born a man..I never imagined it would be this hard.

If you have any updates on anything that you think can help please let me know. My email to any of the ladies that want to talk..I'm here.. Intellectualbrat@aol.com

I just started taking the Estroven Extra Strenght since the 3rd of September and I haven't had any hot flashes but still have the other symptoms. Hopefully it will kick in soon.

Good luck to all.

• PRO
    jane
    8 years ago

Louannie! Yes I had the same thing happen.. I went on Estroven and two months later I got my period. I havn't had my period in more than a year. Im sure it's the estroven. Of course it is. how could it not be. It's messing with our hormones. I just don't know if I should stay on it or go off of it. It lessened my hot flashes after being on it for 2 months. finally!!! I had hot flashes for 3 years. every 20-40 minutes 24 hours a day. However my hot flashes completely went away when I started supplementing the estroven with extra Black Cohosh as well. So strange to have the period again. I almost didn't know what to do . lol. like being 16 again. I can only hope it's safe.

• shaknzmom
    8 years ago

Karen - I'm 51 and have been in full out menopause for 13 years. Natrol Complete Balance worked for me for a couple of years. I think my body became saturated, or had a chemical change, because it stopped working. But the two years that I could use it were great. There is an AM pill and a PM pill. Estrogen never worked for me....so who knows. Good luck!

• bdalvr bdalvr
    7 years ago

I've been on estroven lil over a yr n it just stopped working!

• shaknzmom
    7 years ago

It does that.... Try Natrol Complete Balance. It worked for me for about 3 years....much longer than anything else. It's worth a try. :-)

• csue_orloff
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've started Estroven Energy but I'm also on BP medicines and clonazepam does anyone know if it's okay to take this product being on those two other meds?

• mariagirasole
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Commenting so I can follow this thread. Been suffering with severe hot flashes and night sweats for 5 plus years... have tried many supplements to no avail. About to try Estroven.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner