Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bone Density Test

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 9:53

I have osteoporosis in my spine and hip. I have to go for more bloodwork, then the doctor is prescribing Boniva. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I figured I'd get this later on in life, not at age 52.

I was feeling good the other day when I started my HRT, thinking, my problems will start going away, now this happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bone Density Test

I am so sorry cheerful, I have heard that of all the drugs, this is the one with the least side effects. Do the drs. have a exercise plan or diet for you?

o

I have not spoken personally to the doctor yet (the nurse gave me the results). I have to go for bloodwork to test my thyroid, Vitamin D and calcium levels. Once I get those results back I want to talk to her.

I've heard that weight bearing exercises and walking are good. I'm going to start doing my homework on this subject to see what I can do to get this under control.

I just started HRT last week (Activella) which is also supposed to help with osteporosis (although I didn't know I had it at the time).

o

Sounds like you are on the right track. It is a lesson to us all to start with the weight bearing exercises if we havent already. I am going see about switching from Prempro to Activella in March at my annual. Have a great thanksgiving. Let us know how things are progressing. Shotzy

o

Thanks, Shotzy, and a great Thanksgiving to you too.

I'm going for my bloodwork today. My GYN wants the following tests: calcium, Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, alkaline phosphatase, TSH. I think this is to rule out possible causes of the osteoporosis.

o

All the bloodwork came back normal. I'm going to start on Boniva. I'm nervous about it, but will keep my fingers crossed for minimal side effects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here