Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menopause & Armour Thyroid

Posted by
annelind
(annelind@cdreams.com) on
Sun, Nov 4, 01 at 9:28

Just wondering if anyone who is menopausal is using Armour Thyroid? Some of the physical changes associated with menopause are also typical of a hypothyroid condition - weight gain, fatigue, hair thinning, reduced libido, etc. I am currently taking Armour Thyroid right now, and wanted to hear about other menopausal women's experience with this medication. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menopause & Armour Thyroid

I need to get back on mine and see if makes a difference. I went off of it last spring becuase I was having symptoms of getting too much. While I was on it I still experienced the perimenopause symptoms, but they might be stronger now.I'll also be taking a homeopathic remedy which will resolve a lot of the symptoms and hopefully will get my thyroid working again, like it did once before.

o

Sharon,

What were your symptoms of getting too much? Hope you'll have time to respond. Thanks, Anne

o

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I wasn't able to open posts for a few days.
The symptoms of too much that I experienced were problems sleeping becuase of restlessness, increased heart rate, nervousness, and a general feeling of being hyper. A person can be hypo and sometimes get a few symptoms of hyperthyroidism as well, but I never did before. I'm sure I was getting too much. I think my adrenals may be partly to blame, if not all, for my thyroid problems. Now that the stress in our lives has been less for a few years, I think my adrenals have recuperated enough to allow my system to function on its own more, just in time for the stressful years of menopause!

o

Thanks Sharon for the post. I was taking Armour Thyroid this summer and had worked up to 4 pills - I'm not sure what that means in terms of actually amount. I started getting hyper symptoms as you described, plus I was having weird emotional swings. I stopped taking the Armour Thyroid and the symptoms stopped. I started taking the Armour Thyroid again this month, but at a lower dosage. I've heard that one of the problems with Armour Thyroid is that the potency varies quite a bit. I'm still trying to see if Armour Thyroid clears up other problems associated with a hypothyroid. Well, again thanks for sharing. Anne

o

I think it's just a rumor that potency varies. Most doctors don't lie Armour t. becuase there's more money to be made in the synthetic versions. Synthroid has had problems with potency. There are a lot of doctors who don't know much about thyroid disease and how to manage it, so study up on it yourself to help you to know if your doctor knows much about it. I was so ill with many of the hypo symtoms, but the MDs I went to never mentioned putting me on meds becuase my tests were within the 'normal range'. Well, normal wasn't good enough for me. Fortunately, I found someone to help me.
You shouldn't have to take more than one pill a day for the dosage you need since it is sold in several diff. dosages. You're spending more money than you need to that way. A good doctor will start you on a low dose and work up to a higher one if tests indicate it.I'm going to start up on 30 mg again and see if that and my homeopathic treatments will improve my health again.
The books 'What Your Doctor Didn't Tell You About Menopause' and his other book about premenopause talk about hormones and other things that help the thyroid function. There are books about thyroid disease too. Us females are complicated creatures. Remove the x if you want to e-mail me, since I'm not having much luck in opening posts on here lately. I don't know what the problem is yet, so I don't know when I'll be able to get on here again. Best of luck to you.

o

Dr. Raymond Peat http://efn.org/~raypeat suggests splitting your Armour thyroid pill (with a pill splitter) to take throughout the day. The T3 is more potent than T4, even though the amount is less, and works faster.

Spreading it throughout the day after each meal has worked best for me.

Otherwise all at once (unlike a normal person's thyroid would work) can be too much.

Natural progesterone which can be purchased without a prescription in sublinguinal drops or creams can be the assistance to counteract excess estrogen levels and support the adrenals. I use Prometrium (prescription for hormone balance and menstrual regulation) after severe bout of excessive, prolonged bleeding. I use sublinguinal drops if I feel the need during the day to support my adrenals. One example is rapid pounding heart after climbing stairs. Not everyday, but it does happen.

This book has much information regarding natural hormone replacement including thyroid.

The Estrogen Alternative by Raquel Martin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here