Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long-Term users: How long can you stay on HRT???

Posted by sunrisegirl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 02 at 8:51

I've been on HRT (tri-est which is three different hormones and compounded by my pharmacist, works great) for 28 years and I worry about long term effects. When I had a total hysterectomy I assumed that eventually I would stop having hot flashes and would not be needing hormones. Wrong! Please share your experiences with me IF you are a long-term user of HRT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long-Term users: How long can you stay on HRT???

I was on HRT for 15 years and I stopped cold turkey when that report came out. I think I was on it too long, anyway. I had some hot flashes when I stopped the HRT, but I now take Estroven that I get at the health food store and the hot flashes have pretty much disappeared, thank God.

o
RE: Long-Term users: How long can you stay on HRT???

Hi sunrisegirl,
I've been on combi-patch for about 5 years. I wish I had never started it. I really believe that you do get "addicted" to it. Your body is sooooo used to it, and I'm sure it will miss it lots when you stop it. Can you possibly cut the pill in half for maybe 6 months to a year, and then stop it? I have Fibromyalgia, and unfortunately, my pain and suffering seems intricately related to hormones. The last time I tried to stop my HRT.....well.....lets just say all heck broke loose. My life was horrible. I don't believe I would ever try to stop it cold turkey again. But maybe for a more "normal" person, it could be easier. Can you talk to your Ob/gyn about it? Maybe she would have some good suggestions. And maybe you would get lucky, and not have problems at all. You could give it a try, and always go back on, if you couldn't live without it. But I've discovered that it takes at the very least, 2 months, for hormones to even begin to think about stabilizing, after a change. Good luck to you! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here