SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_gw

Why is my tummy bulging? I look like I'm pregnant!

maggie
22 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and peri-menopause. Why in the world does my stomach look like a watermelon when I've always had a very flat stomach? I've not had weight gain - just the bulging stomach. What is the medical cause of this? Thanks for your responses!

Comments (76)

• jazs
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

for the past 4 months or so my tummy has also grown to look like im pregnant I have had problems in the past.. just recently had paps and a female type ultrasound up inside... my hope was for the new dr on our finally received medical to do something anything ...

now this.... it looks like im 6 months or so pregant I have been noticing the past week sharp pains on my left side near what I suspect to be near one of my ovaries .

I want to go see a dr.. but every medical reason that should of been taken seriously found nothing and caused $$$$$$$$ balances due.....

I'm fit to be tied all around and now a new problem to I just ignore it or attempt and get no where??? most of my medical problems ive tried to resolve once the insurance kicked in almost a year ago.... I though we would never get health insurance to figure me out finally .. now that we do we might as well not have any... I'm at a loss.. it this an age thing (47) still having periods if you want to call wacky periods normal.... along with the whole kit a kabottal to go along with them... ( putting up with all of this for the past 8 years)

• jennyk
    16 years ago

jazs...I don't know if you've ever read any of the posts under "excruciating ovulation" or not, but that is what it sounds like to me. You said that the past 4 months or so that your belly has grown to look 6 months pregnant. Does that mean that it has been going on straight for 4 months?? If so, then maybe it's not just ovulation. The pain that you described is what I feel each month, and I too bloat to look 9 months pregnant. My stomach feels like it is going to explode. Not only that, but I literally feel like I am in labor and am about to give birth to a 10 lb baby. If your belly has been growing for 4 months straight, I would definately see a Dr. I know you said you are 47 and that you have wacky periods, but is it possible that you could be pregnant?? I have known of many people to be pregnant, and didn't find out until they were 5 or 6 months along. Also, I have known of 50yr old women getting pregnant and also not knowing because of their wacky periods. Sounds crazy, but ya never know. Please keep me posted on what you find out. I wish you well!!

• Related Discussions

I'm missing my roses

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm so glad my garden could bring enjoyment to you. The pics certainly are a welcome contrast to the thin layer of snow I can see outside my computer window right now! Carla, hey, if you are ever wandering by southeast Kansas, make sure you give me a call and I will give you a personal tour of my garden. The neat edges--I get them the hard way. The garden was deep-dug several years ago to get rid of weeds. Then heavy mulch spread. Then periodically I get on my hands and knees and pull back the grass (including bermuda grass--ugh!) that want to spread into the garden. Then I run for the lawnmower, set it on low, and quickly mow around all the edges. Have to do that 2 or 3 times a season if I want to keep it half-way neat. SuzyQ--your plans sound great. I predict a beautiful garden in your future! And Ray and lesmc, same prediction for you two. My gardens have been maturing and slowly expanding for 25 years now. Time, patience, and care (and getting rid of your mistakes--LOL) are crucial ingredients in any garden. Redsox and Kate--I'm glad to hear the stepping stones work for you. I put a lot of hard work into doing that. When I moved here centuries ago, there was a big pile of rather large (and heavy!) sandstones. Couldn't figure out what to do with them or how to get rid of them. So I decided sandstone paths were the only solution. Some of those suckers are heavier than I can lift--as my son and nice neighbor who moved some of them for me will testify. I hope other people will post pics of their gardens. I would enjoy looking at them also. Kate
    ...See More

No cycle in 4 months. I'm 42..why?

Q

Comments (59)
    I’m 44 and missed 4 periods to the day. Slept horribly last night pressure between my legs was so bad I’d put a pillow between them like I did when I was pregnant. I’ve also had the round ligament pain as well lately like I did in pregnancy. Instead of the change it should be called the confusion! Before this current cycle I was having phantom periods where the symptoms would show but no period. So much of what we go through mimics pregnancy and other female related problems add that to most doctors even those who have gone through this not being much help. My current Dr. at a minimum is perimenopausal if not post, she’s at least 10 years older than me but I’ve learned more in online forums than in any Dr’s office. I started having symptoms at 39 skipping periods once a year and hot flashes until these last two years. The insomnia began, I started with longer periods they went from 6 days to sometimes 9, 11 or 14. Lots of clotting and heavy bleeding. I had started wearing depends and all black to help buy time when I would bleed through my clothing. I also have 3 fibroids that are of course getting larger because my hormones are so out of whack. I learned though that the clotting at this stage is the uterine lining shedding off in preparation for of course no periods. I’m severely anemic my iron is so low right now my Dr. wants me to have an iron transfusion. I refuse to take drugs to “regulate” my cycle when I feel like it’s only prologing what has to happen anyway which is for my body to transition into no periods. 2017 my weight went down finally and the bleeding went back to normal whatever that is now but I started having vaginal dryness making sex pretty uncomfortable without lube more often than not. My drive isn’t what it used to be either. It was always high no matter what until last year now I have to remind myself about it. Regular sex does help with my symptoms as well as crushed ice with hot flashes but I originally started on it because of my low iron but it also helps to keep my body cooler so I’m never without it. This year I’m battling my weight again gained 10 pounds in 3 months some of that is the holidays I try to check before and after and this year I was at 5 pounds but I still gained another 5 while my cycle was MIA. Hoping since my periods are stretching I am near tge end of the tunnel. I’m just greatful my kids are grown and out of the house, my mood swings are horrible and don’t mix well with moody teens.
    ...See More

Tummy Bulge and more!

Q

Comments (1)
    Feelin -- thank you, thank you. I think too many of us beat ourselves up because we don't look 20 years old anymore. Just the other day I finally said, I'm going to wear this t-shirt that hugs my hips because I like it, darn, and to heck with trying to look like I'm not 65! Who am I kidding!? So, I have a little pot belly. It doesn't make me a bad person, and now I have another reason to not hate my curves. Thanks for the education.
    ...See More

Pregnant 'man' (I use that term very loosely) is pregnant again..

Q

Comments (43)
    I caught part of last night's 20/20 program, only because the tuner was on ABC and when we finished watching a couple of programs that we'd recorded earlier in the week, 20/20 was on. So, I only saw maybe 20 minutes of the show. But, from what I saw, it didn't appear that either of the two have a job. So, it appears to me that although Barbara Walters made a point of saying that 20/20 was not paying the couple for their appearance on the program, they are seeking out publicity for the money.
    ...See More
  • jazs
    16 years ago

I too have this same problem... also have noticed pain on my left side and in one place as well as a heavy feeling... dr found nothing before the bloating started... im at a loss do i waste more $$ and get frusterated or what?

• marie26
    16 years ago

Shotzy52, you're lucky that wellbutrin kept the weight off for you. I went on it a year ago and instantly gained 20 lbs. that have yet to come off.

• jennyk
    16 years ago

jazs...if this has been happening to you once a month for the past 4 months, then I would think it was ovulation. The pain and bloating you decribe sounds just like mine. I was diagnosed with IBS seven yrs ago, which makes me think that when I ovulate, it brings on my IBS. I definately know that mine is ovulation, but because it lasts so long, leads me to believe that it has got to be my IBS on top of it. I would try to keep a record of when it starts, and how long it lasts and then think about going to the Dr's.

• cheerful1_gw
    16 years ago

Ellie: I feel like I have the nonstop munchies, too. This may sound like a dumb question, but once you become post-menopausal, do the munchies, hot flashes, etc., stop?

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

shotzy52 posted: "The shrink doesnt think it was the wellbutrin that was keeping me slim."

Your shrink is an idiot. There are even warnings in the Wellbutrin package inserts against prescribing to people who have been anorexic. Wellbutrin is often prescribed off label FOR weight loss for those who have not had success with conventional methods. Twenty-eight percent of people taking it lose 5lbs the first week and go on to lose more.

Here is a quick link: http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/news/20020315000435_health_news.shtml

Google "Wellbutrin and weight loss" for lots more info.

• help2007
    16 years ago

New member here... I've been 3+ months without a period and definite hot flashes/night sweats. I've started taking 540mg of black cohosh, it seems to have helped some with my sleeping. In the meantime, my lower abdomen has gotten more pudgy (I've been overweight for years,but in the last year I've exercised like a fiend and lost 45 lbs) and have gained 10 lbs. back seems like overnight. Anyway, my biggest concern is my loss of interest in work or being able to focus very long. Is this just being lazy? Some days I feel like I can focus, but many days I just want to stare at the walls AND eat chocolate. I've been on Prozac for years, for anxiety, but really think its related to my cycle. I get (or used to) PMS and depressed, etc. but then improved once the period kicked in. Now, that I don't have a period I just get bloated and lethargic. Again, am I just feeling sorry for myself, or is this all part of meno? Would adding soy to my diet help? I'm 48.

• cherebdesigns_yahoo_ca
    16 years ago

Hello all! I'm 47 definately going through the change and thought I'd tell you about my recent doctors appointment conerning MY bulging tummy! I'm having an ultrasound scheduled shortly because the bulge is directly under my boobs, mainly feeling pressure under my right breast. Looking at my profile in a mirror I look about 7 months pregnant because it's so high...no I'm not pregnant! I have a 21 year old daughter and 18 year old twin boys...that's it thank you! It's liver or gallbladder related I'm told. When the Estrogen disapears the liver is overworked, not a huge problem but an ultrasound will tell if it's more serious, gallstones for example. Also did you know that many women are misdiagnosed for menopause symptoms when it's Thydroid symptoms (Hypothyroidism) they're experiencing? Good idea to have that checked out. Black cohosh is toxic to the liver so please if you're in Menopause check with your doctor before taking! Can you tell I'm a nurse? Here's something I read on another site that was interesting! Believe it or not your fat cells are your menopausal helpers! They have the amazing capability of observing the first signs of declining estrogen levels so they activate more fat storage enzymes and increase their size so they will be able to produce estrogen. The bigger they become, the more they will be able to produce estrogen.

Studies have shown women with the largest fat cells produce 40% more estrogen than those with smaller fat cells. Your abdominal fat cells are more conducive to producing estrogen. These fat cells surround the liver and adrenal glands which lend a helping hand to produce estrogen.

The adrenal glands produce a form of testosterone, the liver produces the enzyme to convert the testosterone to estrogen and the fat cells surrounding the liver and adrenal glands promote the laboratory to get the job done. The result is more estrogen...expanding waistline! The docter suggests it's a good Idea to fast once in a 7 day period and no fried foods or anything that would additionally over work my over worked liver. After all this I'm still very excited about my new found freedom from menstral complaints..hated my periods! No more planning vacations around my period..no more asking family to check out my butt getting out of the car for little (accidents). I'd gladly except a bulge in my tummy and be proud of it! Not to say I'll do everything in my power to get rid of it of course! Good luck ladies and enjoy your journey!

• achristine
    15 years ago

bud wi, do you really know what wellbutrin is for? Obiously ya don't. I take wellburin!! And i still gain weight. It's an anti-depressant. Well it also increases your sex drive.

• achristine
    15 years ago

bud wi, my bad i just went to the website. hahaha.... sorry, anyways, with that med i have to work out to keep that weight down. and i work my butt off at it. And i'm just 22 years old. However, i do count my calories every day in a diet journal. i get about 1500 or less a day. And if i go over i don't get a sticker.

• robynt60544_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Hi everyone-looking just like for a reason as to why I look like I am pregnant 6 mos. and I have gained only 6 lbs-difficult to lose too! I have been a size 6 forever (well since I lost 65 lbs 20 year ago) but now it is hard as heck to keep it under control since menopause ended.I also found a lot of other things wrong with me, constantly falling asleep even after 8 or so hours of sleep, dry skin which my lotions no longer stopped, brain fog (a problem when in last months of nursing school, especially at 54 for a new career!), zero sex drive for over a year,loss of almost all body hair and the hair on my head is thinning, very thin skin so that I now have blood blisters if I look at my skin wrong, etc. So, I went to Body Logic for a full assessment of my hormones, adrenal etc, and found that I am in adrenal fatigue and have very low to no testosterone, progesterone, and am also low on estrogen and hypothyroid.I just started Nutri System also as the doc put me on cortisol to deal with the adrenal issues and bio identical hormones for the lack of hormones etc.He said we may have to adjust them but I should be feeling better within a month or so. But even before the rest of me fell apart, I noticed a year ago that suddenly one day it seemed that my abdominus rectus muscles (the ones that normally can be lost after pregnancy) were caput!I have always had a flat stomach area and even though my weight was perfectly under control then (107 lbs) I still looked pregnant. Not water weight, not bloated, because I know that stuff and that was not what was going on!The doc has no explanation for this however. I wish I knew so badly because even if the rest of me gets back to normal, this will still be an issue.But for the rest of you with the symptoms I had, I suggest you go to a Body Logic center or read Suzanne Somers books or go to the Oprah site concerning after menopause what happens to you body and bio identical hormone replacement-really have read good things about it and hoping it does well for me.I had a hysterectomy (just the uterus) at 40, so it can't be fibroids for me(although that was part of the problem prior to the surgery), and had a pap anyway like I do every 2 years in case of cervical cancer. I'll still keep looking for answers.

• junglebunny0576_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

hi, in need answers, my tummy is big. i am 51 yrs old. my friends at work tell me that my face has a glow to it, what does that mean, they think that i am pregant. this happens to me everyday i go to work, someone comes to me ask me if i am pregant.

• wnstiles
    13 years ago

Same here, I am so depressed. I am 50 years old and look like I am 8 months pregnant and when it gets near that time of the month whether I get my period or not, I look 9 months. I also have people asking me when I'm due or what am I having. I hate it. Can this be fixed and will it ever go away?

• heather_leep_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This is about my mom....I'm worried about her. We went shopping and she showed me her tummy. She looks as if she is 10 months pregnant; she is about 5'2, seriously from breast to pelvic is her tummy ~ Hard as a Rock! She is on all sorts of medication due to fibromialga and sorts. However, I'm very concerned that this could be more. I've read all the post on here, however its a bit overwhelming. Does she just live with it? or Do I suggest she go to the doctor? What are Fibroids?

• chellechipper_aol_com
    12 years ago

To Yaya, I would suggest she go to a doctor. I just had a vaginal ultrasound a month ago due to having bad dizzy spells, nausea, etc...well my results were that I have fibroids on my uterus. They are non cancerous tumors but they indeed seem to effect you on a daily basis. I will be having my uterus removed on May 23rd. My belly too looks as though I am 6 months pregnant, I am not. I am only 33 and I have been having severe lower back pain and also 2 months ago I went through a catscan and mri because I was having horrendous left side abdominal pain. I am only hoping to feel better after this is all said and done.It can never hurt to have her get looked at, I know I am glad I did:)

• gsheps_msn_com
    12 years ago

Thank God I found this site, however I am still a nervous wreck as to what is going on with me. A month ago I felt good and no bulging stomach. One day I went to take a shower and noticed my lower abdomen was bulging and rock hard. Next my upper abdomen started doing the same thing. I weigh the same (139) but it seems like all of it is now in my waist and big fat rolls there. Someone said the fat rolls are more obvious because they are getting pushed out by my rock hard swelling. I am also very tired all day and most of the evening. I started walking 4 miles a day to try and lose weight and also just to get my mind off this terrible bloating feeling. I am so depressed. I can't clean the house or anything because the swelling is so uncomfortable. I went to the doc last week about it. He told me to take Miralax (a powdered laxitive) and Gas-X. I did and it didn't do anything to help. Now I am going to see him again in 2 days. I am a wreck. I looked up ovarian cancer and the first obvious symptom is abodominal bloating, pressure and a feeling of heaviness. All of which I have. Fatigue is another symptom and I have that in spades. So I am a wreck and will continue to be until I find out what is going on. It doesn't help that I also have major anxiety disorder. The more I think about my stomach the more anxious I get and the worse it seems. Thanks for anyone who is listening out there. :(

• tpeterson_popp_net
    12 years ago

I feel for all of you. I am having the same problem with my tummy. I am a very skinny person. I weigh like 115, but my belly is the size of a pumpkin. I have been on exlax, metaucil and every other thing you can take. I don't know what to do! Can your stomach actually split open from being so large?

• nycalifgrl1016_aol_com
    12 years ago

same here any answer and help

• ddrhyner_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Last year I had some major bloating issues and frequent urination along with spotting during intercourse and in between periods. My stomach bloated so much I looked pregnant and it was so tight and uncomfortable. I went to the doctor and was misdiagnosed for 2 weeks with "gallbladder issues" (ultrasound was fine) and "irritable bowel syndrome." I finally went back in tears and said do something because I know my body and something is wrong. They did a CT scan the next day and I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer. If you have these symptoms, tell your doctor you want a simple blood test to detect ovarian cancer. Its called a CA-125. They are not done at your regular pap smears.

Good luck and God bless!

• michellecrcrn_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have had the same thing, I am very tall, weigh 125 pounds. The last 4 month I have gained 15 pounds, and my tummy bulged out. I had a D&C 4 weeks ago,(I wasn`t pregnant) just bad heavy periods..... last week I woke up with a U.T.I, and the next day A yeast infection. Or so I thought, I have had tests done. I find out tomorrow what is wrong. I was told maybe ovarian cancer. I am very scared, and just want to know what is wrong. I know something is wrong. I know my body! Sometimes doctors miss things too- keep persistant

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    12 years ago

I need to add my voice to this! My MIL started having the same problem, distended abdomen and firm, having to get larger pants. She DID go to her doctor and he told her it was stress! After several trips back he finally sent her to a GI specialist who immediately recognized that she had ascites (fluid built up in the abdomen) and sent her for a CT.

You know where I am going with this. Ovarian cancer, spread all through her abdomen.

Ladies, this is the most frequently missed/misdiagnosed cancer! Because not only we ladies try to blow off the symptoms, but so do our doctors. It took over 5 months before her doctor sent her to someone who was willing to consider something serious--and she had been having symptoms for a few months before she ever went to the doctor the first time. Hopefully this won't cost her her life; she is still getting chemo.

If you are having such symptoms, esp. if you are fatigued along with it, get to your doctor and don't quit until he figures it out! With luck it will be something minor, if not you may save your life.

• ItsLMJ
    12 years ago

I just wanted to ask, is it possible to get pregnant after having your tubes tied for over 18 years? For the past (atleast) 4 weeks I wake up every morning nauseated. But just in the mornings normally. I am always tired and I have a bloating stomache like everyone is talking about, but I am gaining weight! Which is really upsetting me because I am on the atkins diet and have lost alot of weight on it. I was down to 179 then went on vacation and gained alot of weight (which I expected cause I went off my diet). I was up to 190. Now in the last month or so I am up to 210! And I am sticking to my diet. I might sneak a litle but not enought carbs that it should matter. Other symptoms I have are breast tenderness, fatigue, tightening and cramps in my stomach (this morning I had 1 so bad it brought tears to my eyes) and frequent urination. I also get my period still. 1 more thing I must add. My husband is also fixed and he is my only partner. This is really scarey to me. I am 44 years old and my baby is 18. Can anyone help PLEASE!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Yes, Its - GET TO YOUR DOCTOR NOW!

• cleaninfreakof3
    12 years ago

I am menopausal and have all of sudden started all of the symptoms I've been reading about on this forum. Mine seemed to have occurred overnight so to speak, with the tummy bulge. I've never had a flat tummy since I had only child 17 yrs ago, but I look about 8 mths pregnant now. Did this happen all at once to you all or was it gradual?
    I've gained a few pounds but mostly the same body weight and shape everywhere else. But not the stomach!!

• pdwn
    11 years ago

I have not had a peroid for 13 years, and all of a sudden I have this bloating stomach and increase in waistsize, my food intake is the same, I have always been kinda skinny, but not anymore, I do have copd, so exercising is only when I can breathe,

• DC48female
    10 years ago

Hello!Thank you so much for site and contributors! been reading every word...literally! 48 year old female..past two days stomach distended as if 8-9 mos pregnant! ironic(no not pregnant! (forgive if humorous,prefer lightness at present...
    Never hypochondriac,overly health conscios. 5'4,avg weight very happily at 150 til 38..sixe 12 but flat stomach,firm hourglass,large natural 38DDD..spleasant..past 7-8 years size 14 175 avg..curvier,firmer,but still pleasant figure firmly..
    january stopped alll rx meds..extremely depressed,anxious etc(legal,fiscal matters too) so drank alcohol 5-6 days week 3-4..yes very bad i know but was my self medicating.Ok so things better 3 weeks ago no alcohol,rx etc..had small pudge for first time,,related to excessive alcohol intake..so stopped..
    On vacation..been eating alot lately.at most week..intent i believed was feeling better and had extreme appetite..so had fairly large bulge related to large food intake. PAST TWO DAYS,my abdomen is literally not pudge,round cupped full under breast exactly like a 30 year pregnant F about to deliver!
    Found humour at first as so recent and have enjoyed 3 buffets in2 days etc. However after reading this site ive been educated and of course much more empathetic to every post female.my regards and blessings.
    i thought food intake or taking pink laxative pills for past 4 days caused extended belly.(or the valium i took just recently).
    I do believe many many theories,experiences all you gentle female( posters )readers took the time to express is an abundant help!
    Thank you,grateful
    PS.not pregnant .recent menstration last month.
    also similarly fatigue anxiety depression etc..related those to recent fiscal and legal issues.
    Please bewell all,seek medical assistance.*
    (*also deferred employment, insurance cancelled)

• jodierd
    9 years ago

Found this thread two weeks ago, suffering all the symptoms you all described. I waited two full weeks to convince myself that it’s no fluke: the advice here totally worked for me. You are angels! So I’m writing to thank you all, and to add to the information of what worked for me.
    In March I had my first non-normal period. Started out sputtery is how I’d characterize it. Then, time for the next one I started getting the bloat and pain, but nothing. It was seriously uncomfortable. I went from 125 to 133 with no change in working out or eating. I’d been 125-128 since my early 20’s.
    But then the real fun began. I didn’t realize until afterwards how much of a morning fog had been creeping up on me. I’m not a morning person, so I attributed it to that. Then I thought the bowling ball head was from drinking wine the night before, even though I had only a glass which had never affected me before. And it didn’t get better during the day. Suddenly dizziness was added to the fuzziness. And I don’t mean physical so much as mental. Though I did find, especially when working with my horses, that I was unsteady on uneven terrain. Weak really.
    I went down to Florida to surprise my father for Father’s Day. I was so sick I got up in the morning and sat on the couch and did nothing. My sister took care of me. Now, I have a farm and four horses, work for myself… I am a solo act and never sit still. I don’t even have TV. So I was sick! She gave me ibupropen which made me maybe thankfully 75% better. In my entire life I have taken so little of any of that kind of stuff, maybe to amount to half a bottle, that I only have it in my house because people have asked for it. And here I was living on it.
    At first I looked to foods to reduce inflammation to get the tummy upset and pain down. No dairy. I already don’t do flour. (As an aside, my theory is that my increasing gluten intolerance is wrapped up in this.) Then I found explanations of what’s going on hormonally. Then I found this thread.
    And MACA! I want to give every woman over 40 a bottle of it so they are prepared. On that couch on Monday I ordered a bottle from my phone and thanks to Amazon it arrived when I returned home Tuesday. How fast you think that wrapper came off?
    I got Evening Primrose oil (so I don’t know if it’s just the maca but no I am not stopping one or the other to find out!) Magnesium, D3, Fish Oil, Coconut oil, and a probiotic.
    And calcium. A few days into it one joint in one finger started aching. Then one toe. Then another finger. On Wednesday, one week into it. I didn’t take a thing. Back to the internet: calcium. My joints were relieved that very day, and all better within 48 hours. And that day off the bloat and pain in my low back and abdomen came back. I didn’t want to do anything, but I rode which took my mind off of it. (Just like menstrual cramps!) I continued taking everything but the calcium starting the next day and am experiencing no joint issues.
    It’s been a full two weeks that I’ve been taking these heaven-sent helpers, and I feel like a billion bucks. I don’t feel or look like someone attached bowling balls to my middle and I’m back to my daily t-shirts, not looking for something blousy to cover the godawful bulge.
    It pains me to think where I would be had I gone the doctor route. How many tests? What drugs? And I’d bet the farm I wouldn’t feel like I do now, certainly not yet because I’d still be driving from specialist to specialist, and most likely never. The thing that I read that made me dig my heels in was the connection between fibromyalgia and peri-menopause. And what women are put on to address it, not treating the cause. NO!
    FYI I’m taking everything listed above in the AM and just maca and evening primrose at night. If I am near the cabinet and remember I take maca in the middle of the day I do. I have not experienced a racing heart as some a reported. My impression is that maybe those who have experienced it were younger and not using it for the symptoms we have? I may be wrong as I didn’t pay that much attention since it didn’t pertain to me, but that’s my impression. As for taking a day off once a week, I’m going to wait on that. I’m sure it’s a good idea, but my day off last week was not fun, so I’m going to give myself another full week or two before trying that. I want to feel well, and good! I didn’t realize how long this has been creeping up on me until I got myself back. Maca is the best $13 I ever spent. And boy have I saved my insurance company some bucks!
    So thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge. Every woman needs to read this to be enlightened and prepared!
    Jodie

• Karen DeAnn
    8 years ago

Wow. I am quite scared after reading all these comments. I have the wide waist, thick girth, look 6-7 months pregnant (and not), stomach feels like it is going to explode, it is hard as a rock. What is a person to do. It is shocking, because the rest of my body seems somewhat average and the tummy protrudes and it is persistant protrustion.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

karen, go to your doctor because you really want to rule out ovarian cancer. Distended abdomen is a symptom of it.

• hannahishamm
    8 years ago

This is happening to me and I really want to know why, but I'm scared to tell anyone

• mariola188
    8 years ago

hi, how is everyone doing?

• Karen DeAnn
    8 years ago

The god awful bulge and distended persistent protrusion remains. I suspicion parasites, toxins and carbohydrates may be at the source of the problem. I realized one day after I ate some bread how much harder my stomach got within an hour. I am still trying to figure out what to do to alleviate the issue. Perhaps it is a gluten or carbohydrate issue. Parasite overload. Also for toxins in general, I have been using Advanced TRS to remove those from the deep cellular levels. I bought the MACA that someone mentioned above. I just need to be more consistent with it. For now, work in progress. Will do better at taking anti-parasitic herbs in the meantime.

• octobergirl1985
    8 years ago

Not every month, but sometimes, like this month, for days before my period, my belly becomes huge. From just under by bust to right down to the pubic bone, it feels very firm. It's uncomfortable sleeping, and have had to sleep on my back. I can't even see my feet.

• klel08
    8 years ago

So I just went through almost all these comments from the beginning and i can relate to all that is said. Hopefully, someone can advise me where to go next. I just turned 47. I have 7 children. I have spent most all of my life very small. It was very hard to gain weight. It took me three years after my first child to get to 113 pounds. By the time I got pregnant with my last child, i had managed to get my weight to between 125 and 130 which seemed pretty healthy. My father passed away and i went into a deep depression. I got pregnant about 6 months later. I spent that 9 (10) months sitting on my bed only leaving to feed the other children. After having my last son, I weighed around 150. 1 yr and 4 months later I was 152. 5 months later I was 175 and looked like i was 5-6 months pregnant. It has remained that way for over 4 years. I recently was checked for fibroid tumors and there was nothing. I have done every diet, I have done every excercise regime, i have tried every type of medication, i have cleaned my system and tried detoxifiying myself. Nothing works!!!! Today I went to see about coolsculpting. They checked to see if i was a good candidate because the upper part of my abdomen was hard but the lower was not. Before she even really was able to check she noticed my belly button was an outy..but it isn't. It never has been except with my stomach huge like it is. Putting this into perspective..i was a size 5 prior to pregnancy and now am a size 12-14..and i get asked 5-6 times everyday when is the baby due. Anyway, the nurse practitioner checked my belly button and realized i have an umbilical hernia. She asked about my gi tract and I said i hadn't had that checked but I usually only go maybe once a week or two and have always been that way. Everything I am researching is coming back with some type of cancer but I would assume that if i have been this way for over 4 years and it was cancer, i should be dead by now. I do know it is not my thyroid either, that was tested and came back normal. I am going to be going to a gastroenterologist soon to see if maybe my intestines are blocked or maybe there is a parasite or possibly polyups..but other than that, i can not figure out what the issue is and neither can my doctor or gyno. I know the hernia is from weakened muscles and that the large belly where my fat has become extremely cozy in staying...could possibly be flluid in the abdomen wall. Which still points to some type of cancer or cirrhosis of the liver. I just need some advice from someone that has dealt with this. My son thinks I will be the next case on "House".

• dliving4christ
    8 years ago

My wife has that prob and I took her out to the er at ou medical they ran test and she has stage 4 ovarian cancer.

• dinablingbling
    8 years ago

I have been really bloated lately and I'm so fteakn mad cause first I lost weight now I feel bloated Evey day and I even feel a pulse on my pelvis like if I was pregnant is this normal women answer me please should I go to gyno I feel like I have a baby inside of me to

• mary_elaine25
    8 years ago

Can it be ocean if you can "suck in" the pregnant looking belly?

• Diane Allchin
    7 years ago

Hi all..new to here..but can relate to comments as.ive had same prob for few years..big bloated baby belly..i call it "my alien in there" lol....not long had a signascopy or sounds sim to that...they had to stop it cos hurt so much in abdomen..but said results were ok (reason for having done was also blod in ps)...ive got IBS and underactive thyroid..i an a 8st 2 lady 65yrs old.had a hystirectomy 1990 for cervical cancer..and all ok till bout 6/7yrs ago then said got fybroids and piles and polops etc.then had a camara an jelly belly one done and said cant find overies as prob shrivelled up!! ..strange that one cos few years previosly they found a thin walled sist on one of the overies and said it inflatuates..so.hence..where did it go!!! lol..dont think doctors no what there doing these days...and my belly looks like a football solid as a rock..doctors dont even explain what to eat or avoid with IBS..ive been thinking dont eat at all and see what happens..if belly will go down..least will no then..maybe!!.

• jamhut
    7 years ago

I'm 54/menopausal with above symptoms for last few years, some days worse than others. Various drs found nothing - although colonscopy removed a chronic lower left side pain somehow (yay!) After seeing so many ovarian cancers posted as the cause in the above posts I certainly will continue to ask drs! Until I'm "officially diagnosed/fixed" tho. what I have found that significantly helps *me* is: yoga (esp inversion poses/twists); avoiding wheat/coffee/sugar (some days its just asparagus & sweet potatoe); adding even primrose oil; st johns wort & over-50 multi; Avoiding tight waist bands; getting myself outside mid-afternoon (walks or gardening). Hope this helps!

• M T
    6 years ago

For everyone with a fairly suddenly swollen abdomen (i.e., in the past few weeks/months) please please please go to the er right away it might be ascites/fluid buildup from ovarian cancer. My mother had these symptoms at age 61 and died 9 months later. She thought she was just getting old and her weight was shifting around post menopause. Please get any type of swollen abdomen checked out!

• lucy132
    6 years ago

I agree with MT above. I had a swollen abdomen and more than one doctor told me it was just age/menopause. I had a colonoscopy that found a large polyp with surface cancer that in time would have developed into colon cancer. Since it's been removed my abdomen is back to normal. Insist on a colonoscopy and a pelvic ultrasound to rule out colon or ovarian cancer.

• Lisa Spaulding
    6 years ago

Robynt60544_yahoo_com hi i know its been years since this but wondered if you figured it out? It sounds exactly what this article says that i read. Hair Loss, The Belly Sticking Out. She had too much calcium! Get Your calcium checked!! :)

• HU-17264022285592467098293
    5 years ago

Same for me.. I look 6 months pregnant. Left side hurts. Had stomach ultrasound a while back. Nothing.. Yet, my stomach is swelled still. Going to gyn doc. Monday. Tired of being miserable at 60. Finally hardly no nite sweats, ir hot flashes anymore. Yet dealing with big belly, and being extremely tired.

• jamhut
    5 years ago

(If you toggle 'like' the author gets an email then maybe, like me, they will update here? I'd 'edit' the original above but dont see how.) My update: Its been two years (Now I'm 56) and, altho my body is not as good as it should be D&*(&!, it does seem better: I sleep thru the night, I feel mentally more 'with it' and my bloating/gasiness are infrequent sporadic annoyances. (My latest visits with Dr yields nada; blood work too is about the same). Besides tools mentioned above, a year ago I also added avoiding : alcohol, nightshades, and, finally, eating-after-3. The last one brought the most dramatic improvement (altho socially awkward and torturous esp if you fix the dinner!!!). Still; when I am very mindful and do all this I feel so good (and when I dont...ugh!) I know everyone is different but hopefully something here is helpful to you.

• jamhut
    4 years ago

I am now 57 and yes, still improving. In fact I just got back from a long trip - 15+ hours sitting on a plane amongst a crowd! No way would I have been able to do this even a year ago. Amazing! Smethicone and not eating-after-3 are still huge for me but I still use all the other tools mentioned above (avoiding nightshades, st johns, evening primrose, yoga twists,etc). Also, in reflection, I'll dare to type one other facet to all this: spiritual. My husband went from laughing about it to fetching my bible for me to cling to... Anyhow! I remember how awful I felt and how little the doctors helped so I hope my input here will at least give you some tools to try. Of course, esp given the ovarian cancer potential!, please do seek medical oversight!

• Diane Allchin
    4 years ago

Hi all.. back 3yrs on from my last comment 2016... I had bloated stomach probs then and blods in toilet.. They said fer ages itsit's my ibs a piles.. But after me seeing doctor for umteenth time iI saw diff doctor and said need tests done as feels not right..anyway cut this long story short it turned out to be bowl c. 1st stage thankfully.. So had all intensive treatment done an cleared it but now have regular checks each year up to date now not long had last ct done ahead of yearly check up august (but said ct ok) But I've my bloated belly (from top belly button) back an wee lot an seen my local doc an testing for alibactor= (in stomach which they found 2016 to an treated with antibiotics) and prolapse to witch I've had few yrs now ...im hoping all ok but on reading comments above a lot of overian c mentioned.. Which years ago they said mine had shrilled up (after hystirectomy 1990 for cervical c) so no concern bout them.. Hopefully.. My docs ses i had CT with dye done this past march and that he said an assured me an drew a diagram is thouragh an was clear... So hopefully all crossed he's right as u tend to lose faith in them esp wen they miss things..

• HU-634006702
    4 years ago

Question..... how many of you all that replied, have had a C-section?

• Karen DeAnn
    4 years ago

No C-section here. The problem still exists!

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living