Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ecoli vaginal infection

Posted by sarah_ca (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 03 at 23:30

I was diagnosed with an ecoli vaginal infection. Does anyone
have any experience with this? I would like to avoid
antibiotics since I have had bad reactions to antibiotics in the past. I was told that I could try a medicated douche but this caused irritation after 6 days. I'd appreciate any information any one has regarding this issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ecoli vaginal infection

What does your doctor say? I'd follow his/her advice.

I would suggest a topical solution, not oral antibiotics. There are creams designed for bacterial infections that work well. They are antibiotic creams, though. I don't think you're going to be able to do much without antibiotics. Often bacterial infections take hold because the normal flora of the vagina are compromised somehow. Douching can do this, oral antibiotics can do this, as well.

Also, generalizing that you've had bad reactions to "antibiotics"...there are a lot of different kinds of antibiotics. You can be sensitive to one and not another. You'll need to tell the doctor exactly which you've had problems with in the past in order for him/her to avoid the one/s that have bothered you. But all antibiotics are not created equal, so don't assume you'll automatically have a problem with all of them.

I am not a doctor, but I've got a degree in microbiology and used to work as a lab tech in a health clinic where we saw tons of vaginal infections. I've also had my share of infections myself. The info I'm giving you is from my direct experience, my education, and my work experience, but I still think you should consult a doctor and not rely on advice from a discussion board.

o

Thank you for your helpful advice. The doctor had suggested
using Cleocin 2%, an antibiotic cream however after using the
medicated douche for 6 days a day later the doctor took a
culture that came back normal. I'm wondering if the doctor
took the culture too soon because the symptoms seem to have
returned.

o

It could be that it wasn't completly cleared up but you most likely reinfected yourself. The most common source of ecoli infections in the vagina are the bacteria that migrate from the anal area.

Tub baths instead of showers, especially if you are fond of long soaks is one source. Another is wearing tight jeans or other snug fitting clothing.

And of course......personal hygene. Be care how you wipe or wash yourself. Always wipe from the front to the back, NEVER from the back to the front.

Go see or call your doctor soon. The longer you wait the harder it is to clear it up.

PB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here