Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
allergies and feeling exhausted

Posted by bosco (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 01 at 18:37

Hi List, I have been feeling exhausted...went to the doctor who says that the problem is allergies. I feel more like I have the flu...has anyone else experienced this? I took a sample of Claritin, but it made me more tired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: allergies and feeling exhausted

I am having that type of exhaustion right now...like the flu is coming on or a bad virus, and it is also from allergies. It is really overwhelming, and funny thing is, my "allergy" symptoms; nose, eyes, etc. are really, really mild. However, this whole scenario seems to worsen with my age (47 next week).

I don't know anyone that can handle Claritin and not feel more exhausted, just in a different way. My closest thing to a solution has been to take a child's dose of Benadryl syrup. It seems to be enough to ward off the worst of it but not make me drowsy as Benadryl can. Occasionally, some hot tea or coffee will get me through any drowsiness I do feel from it. My daughter and Sis use this "self-medication" technique also with pretty good success. We use the syrup because it's easier to take a child's dose then if you buy capsules. Good Luck...I DO know how you feel!!

o

There are so many different antihistamines it is worth the effort to experiment until you find one that works for you. That is, does away with your allergy symptoms but does not make you sick in some other way (better known as side effects). To Bosco I would say, let your doctor know about your response to the Claritin and ask for samples of some other prescription antihistamines to try. Tippsmom aslo had a good suggestion that is worth a try.

My allergies have become much less involved and less intense as I've gotten into my 50's but I remember clearly that fluish, exhausted feeling that was part of my summer and fall allergies, could barely drag myself through the days in Aug and Sept. and was ecstatic at the prediction of the first heavy frost of the season.

o

The only thing that has worked for me is Advil cold and sinus. I don't get tired and it takes away any of the body aches that I have. I always dread this time of the year, and I agree with Anne on the heavy frost.

o
allergy medication

what allergy medicines work the best, I use Allegra but it doesn't seem to work....I have terrible allergies and I take 3 shots a week but that doesn't work either

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here