Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Itchy skin!!!

Posted by TinaL (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 18:08

I am 49 and have not had a period now for 2 months! This has never happened before but i have been a mess up to this point so i knew it was coming. If the reflux, anxiety and insomnia aren't enough my skin is now driving me nuts. It happens mostly at night and I will suddenly itch and itch all over the place. My back, legs, chest, stomach and i end up with what looks like hives. What is this and is it a normal part of the change that is taking place?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Itchy skin!!!

I don't know if it's normal, but I'm experiencing this as well. For me, I was assuming it was due to an increase in processed carbs. I was afraid that I have Candida, so I just started to drastically cut carbs (just yesterday). Hoping to find relief soon! Best of luck to you!

o

No hot showers and use skin cream. It might be dry skin.

o

I'm 44, about 5 years ago I woke up one morning with a systemic itch - the kind that can make you insane. It was a burning, tingling itch from inside - from scalp, armpits, palms, bottom feet and center of chest. At first I thought it was an allergy or poison oak as I was gardening the day before - after a round of prednisone that didn't knock it out (never mind benadryl) I saw an allergist who chalked it up to a weird auto-immune thing. He had me on 1/2 zantac and 1/2 zyrtec 2 times a day - this was the entire summer, eventually it subsided but if I really overdo it and sweat a ton ( heavy work out, gardeningin extreme heat) I'll get a flare up but it'll pass in a few minutes. All I can say is this whole perimenopause thing has been one mysterious discovery afer another, and nothing other than the hotflashes and emotions has been "text book". Not sure if you have acide reflux or allergies ( I did, which is why I thnk the combo the allergist prescribed work for me) but you may want to talk to an allergist about it if you are not getting relief from lotion/moisturizing - also try magnesium oil.

o

Actually I do have reflux/GERD and I thought my gallbladder was going because i had read that itching can be a sign of a bad gallbladder!! The itching comes and goes..pretty sure it is peri!! what a mess. Lubriderm for itching is working to help ease it though.

o

I started with the crazy itching a year after I had my gall bladder removed, so it was not that for me. When I was getting my MRI the tech had the same eact itching thing and she too was talking 1/2 zantac and 1/2 zyrtec for the itching - she had been on that for 10 years, she said every time she tried to stop the itching would comeback with a vengeance. I think its hormonal, but good luck trying to get a doctor to confirm that. If lubriderm works than stock with it, lotion didn't even touch it for me.

o

I think it's hormonal too since i haven't had a period in almost 3 months and this is when it all began. The lubriderm does help but it doesn't stop it altogether. It is so aggravating, you itch one part of your body and then it itches somewhere else. Sometimes i look like i was in a fight with a cat after all the scratching. Yea, no one told me about this crap. Hot flashes i knew about but some of the other stuff.. not so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here