Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? regarding black Cohosh

Posted by heathen1 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 18:00

Does Black Cohosh raise blood pressure? I recently started taking it, and my bp jumped 20 points! both systolic and diastolic. I am on a lot of other meds, but I think that Black Cohosh is the culprit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? regarding black Cohosh1

Well, I thought I'd say more about side affects of Black Cohosh. I am an herbal person, I tend, until now, to get less side affects from herbs than western meds... BUT this is the side affects that I got from taking Black Cohosh. Increased sweating (and I need THAT? doing that already!) higher BP, increased heart rate and facial swelling, maybe from the raised BP? And headaches :o(
I am posting this, just in case someone else gets these side affects...

o
RE: ? regarding black Cohosh

Thanks for the post.
I usually prefer herbal or natural remedies too, but I have learned that just becase something is labeled, natural or herbal, it doesn't mean that the side effects are always benign or helpful.

o

Yeah, it sure would be nice to have some RELIABLE testing done on herbs... so you could know what to expect. My BF took some milk thistle... on the advice of his doctor and it reacted with his blood pressure medicine and formed an estrogen type chemical and gave him boobs! Luckily, his doc knew about that and wasn't surprised. I didn't know that could happen!

o

Only certain companies do ANY testing on herbal remedies. Its takes pharacuetical companies years to do drug testing, but there are no strict rules with herbal stuff. You really need to be careful what you buy.
As far as the estrogen goes, what happened to your husband is a documented side effect of that hormone. Environmental estrogen is a real problem for some folks. I read about a chicken farm in the UK who used estrogen pellets to caponize the birds, and the grandfather and his little granddaughter developed breasts because they ate the chicken necks. The neck is where the pellet was inserted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here