SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

First Timer...Needs Support

anna_in_quebec
16 years ago

Hi there...I have just turned 49, and haven't had a period since last December, so it seems "it" is just around the corner, or is it? I am going for my first annual in two weeks. I am sooo not a doctor person, only going when I need my asthma meds renewed. So, I am ashamed to admit, I haven't had blood tests before - terrified of those - needles. Terrified of the "down under" exam...etc etc. I am thinking of skipping the mammogram for now as I have heard so many contradictory things about it - basically I am afraid of the pain, and worry about all that radiation. There are a lot of things wrong with that test, and it is unreliable. But, I am also afraid of the unknown, and wondering what might be wrong, hence my ground-breaking decision to "volunteer" for a check-up.

I have been tying myself up in knots worrying worrying (but as the saying goes: "worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere"). For a few months now, I have had vague "feelings" in the right pelvic area (I really can't call it pain), and lower back pain (the latter I have been attributing to a very bad mattress which is soon to be replaced), but now wondering if it may be related. I have also had a change in the bowels activity, although I have had "bad bowels" since I was a child, always prone to diarrhea. You see, I have a habit of rationalizing things and also googling symptoms for everything from cervical cancer to bowel cancer etc.!

I have read many of the posts here - you all seem so helpful. So, help - I am afraid, and worried! Where's that rocking chair!

Anna

PS - I don't have children - just cats!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living