Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does taking HRT mean you will get your periods back?

Posted by
Ginny
(ginnygg@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Oct 3, 01 at 12:52

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww. I do NOT want periods again. Have not had one in a year. The hot flashes, insomnia and mood swings are the pits, but we (my family and I) will just have to suffer if HRT means periods again! Help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does taking HRT mean you will get your periods back?

Hi Ginny,

In my own experience I was on the BC pill for four years, went off to measure my hormones, found I was no longer ovulating, switched to HRT and haven't had even so much as a spot in over six months.

o

It depends on what kind of "HRT" you take. Cyclical regimens (estrogen for 21 days, progestin for 7-12 days) which are the only ones known to protect the uterus adequately almost always result in regular withdrawal bleeding. Continuous regimens almost always cause some degree of irregular bleeding for the first year or so after they are started. In some cases this irregular bleeding continues indefinitely.

o

I was skipping months at age 45, and then started experiencing hot flashes at 46. My Doctor put me on Fem HRT in March of 2000, and I haven't had a period since August of 2000......which is great by the way!

o

I took Premarin for about three years, then in May of 2001 my doctor suggested HRT because I was always complaining of the bleeding at the end of the month. Thought by the time you were 56 you shouldn't be doing that anymore! Anyway, have been on HRT for past six months, doing great. Then about a week ago started bleeding -- not much but enough you have to take care. Does anyone know what's going on now? Thanks.

o

I started Ortho Prefest about 2 1/2 weeks ago. My GYN told me that I would most likely experience some spotting for a while. I have not had a period in over 2 years (yeah - it took me a while to decide on HRT). Well guess what. Today I have started spotting. Not bad, but it's definately there. This is the only problem I have had and as long as it doesn't get any worse or last too long, I think I can take it. But I don't really want to! The only good thing about menopause was to have no period anymore. Now that's gone - just like the memory, the energy, the tight skin, the perky boobs! Isn't it wonderful to be a woman?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here