Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

Posted by MILfromHeck (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:34

I'm 61 years old, and had my last period about 8 years ago, so I am post-menopausal. I also haven't had sex in months, because of the pain and dryness. My husband is a good guy and isn't being a jerk about it, but we would both like things to change. So, after talking to my doctor who confirmed that atrophy was a real problem for me, this is what I'm doing.

First: My doc gave me a prescription for Femring which I have not yet inserted, due to the pain of doing so. However, I intend to use it as soon as I can get it in place without crying. Estridiol will, I hope, keep my tissue less dry and shrunken than it is now.

Second: Replens. I will use this every other day; a moisturizer can't hurt, and it might help. It's certainly worth a try.

Third: Vaginal dilators. This is something I haven't read about in the posts here about atrophy, but they seem like a good idea. I ordered mine online. I don't want to look like I'm shilling for a particular site, but just google it, and you'll find places. They consist of 5 tapered cylinders in graduated sizes, from about pinky-finger sized to probably average penis-sized. Being the impatient type, I started with the largest one, which was a mistake, so I've scaled back and using the next one down. I use a lot of Astroglide, a slow and careful insertion, and then I just lie there for 5 minutes, once in the morning and once at night.

At first it was very uncomfortable; the burning was pretty bad, but now, after three days, this moderately-sized dilator doesn't hurt much at all. Tonight I'm going to step up to the largest one again, and see what happens.

I think the estridiol and the Replens are going to help a lot, but the dilators I think may be equally important. I don't want to go from zero to 60 with my husband until I know that I can take it; I think he feels worse than I do when it hurts so much.

Anyway, that's my plan. I hope it works!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

Just a quick follow-up: It worked! No pain, none. I feel 20 years younger, well, at least "down there!"

Femring + Replens + dilators. A winning combination! :-D

o
RE: Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

Hi ladies, it has been a long time since I was on here but I first told you of the Endocrine Mender I was taking and it did help but never got complete relief so finally went to health dept and saw a ARNP. I told her I thought I had Lichen Sclorsis so she had to do a biopsy to diagnose it. It was painful but it was positive. She gave me a salve (prescription) Clobetasol Propionate. It has saved me. I feel completely normal and have since only a few weeks of using it. If I feel any twinges I put a little on and back to normal. I can not say about intercourse as I don't have a partner to try that :) but I really think I could. I hope you will push to get diagnosed if you are like I was: I could not move without tearing, it burned and/or itched most of the time, was white with what looked like scar tissue . I was miserable and depressed. Please seek help. The med is not very costly and last a long time. Best wishes to you all. P.S. I was depressed cause all I read was there was no cure for Lichen Sclorsis, well this may not be a CURE but sure is a great treatment.I can live with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here