SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Hormonal weight gain?

jannie
18 years ago

I was a skinny kid. I mean,I was embarassed to wear a bathing suit because my ribs stuck out. I was five two and 82 lbs. Then puberty hit. Along with a period and hair everywhere, I gained about thirty pounds in a year. I developed a figure! I could wear skirts without a belt or suspenders! I remained trim most of my adult life, occasionally dieting off five or ten pounds. I started jogging and found that it had two beneficial effects: I could jog without getting out of breath and I could eat unlimited amounts of food and stay slim. Then I married and had two kids,stopped jogging , became sedentary and found it got a little harder to maintain my weight. Not impossible,just harder. Well. I am now 52 (53 in six weeks) and no apparent signs of menopause. I was at the GYN last week and blood tests show I am still ovulating. BUT I am (for the second time in my life) packing on the weight. I have gained eight pounds over the last year, four in the last month alone. The doctor says I am not overweight, but I should do some weight-bearing exercise. That's a good preventative for osteoporosis. My mom has bad osteo and my older sister's bone density test shows some bone loss. I personally think the weight gain is hormonal? What do you think?

Comment (1)

Sponsored