SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Fibroids and Options

suzieque
18 years ago

Hi - I've never posted to this site before but find myself with a need for input and advice.

I'm 49 and in peri-menopause. I've just been diagnosed with fibroids, the largest of which is the size of an orange (I didn't ask if it was the size of a naval orange or a tangelo! L0L).

My doctor suggested checking it again in 2 1/2 months.

I did a search on 'fibroids' on this site and found several posts, but they're back around 2001 and perhaps treatments have changed a bit.

In your opinions, should I hope that she'll recommend a hysterectomy, removing (scraping) the fibroids but not doing a hysterectomy, doing nothing, or what?

I'm not a big person; I'm 5'2" and have, for the past 10 years, weighed about 112. In the past 8-10 months I've gained about 10 pounds and my clothes don't fit! The Dr. says it's the fibroid. She said I'm about the size of a 12 week pregnancy.

Drives me nuts - I can't stand my big tummy! Other than that, I don't have too many symptoms. Weird and irregular periods, but no pain. The ultrasound was very uncomfortable, though, when she pressed down on that big fibroid!

So -- what's happening these days with these? Of course my doctor and I will continue talking, but I'm just looking for advice from folks who have gone through it.

Thanks - Suzieque

Comments (20)

Sponsored