Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm scared

Posted by neenee_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 07 at 18:37

I don't know whether I can make any sense out of this post or not and please forgive me if it's long. I don't really know if I'm postmenopausal or not, because my ex dr. had me very, very overdosed on blood pressure meds for over 2 years. My b/p was so low it was dangerous, like it usually ran in the 50/30's range. I had no energy, gained weight because I was no longer active, etc. For some unknown reason, he wouldn't get me off of these pills, a pharmacist did. I do remember that I just kind of abruptly stopped having periods. They never became erratic, nothing like that, they just stopped during this time. After that, he put me on high doses of hydrocodone and Xanax, reaching a level of 14 to 17 Hydrocodone per day and 10 mgs. of Xanax all at once, at night. I begged him to taper me off of these meds, but to no avail. So, I went to detox for the Xanax withdrawal and it was hell. I cold turkeyed the Hydros. While I was in detox the 1st time, I noticed that I didn't smell so good down south and that I was having mild bleeding and external itching. It stopped, then after I got out of detox the 2nd time, it started back up. Not heavy bleeding and I only notice it after I go to the bathroom. But I read all these horror stories at different websites on the net that if you have ANY kind of bleeding after your last period, it always means cancer. My question is this, could that low, low blood pressure, coupled with the high dosages of narcotics have messed up my system? And now that I'm drug free, maybe I'm just having a light period? I'm really very scared, I've always had a cancer phobia. I am going to the gyno, but need some input first. Thank you in advance for your help.

M.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm scared

Neenee, bleeding does NOT always mean cancer so take a deep breath and try to calm down. Many things cause bleeding. You don't state your age or when your last period was, but many women will go 10 or 11 months without a period, then suddenly get one. Various infections can cause bleeding as can vigorous exercise or thin blood. Certainly see a doctor about it but try not to fret too much until then. Good luck, and keep us informed.

o

It is true that any post-menopausal bleeding needs to be checked out, but there are many non-cancerous reasons it could happen. I went through menopause 17 years ago and then I started spotting and even had a 3 day period. I had tests and then I had a D&C. Everything turned out completely normal. My doctor checked my FSH levels through a blood test and it turns out I am borderline menopausal. Your ovaries can keep functioning for a long time. Although I think I may hold the record. I guess that's how those mid-life babies happen. Try to relax and just take care of yourself.

o

Boy, can I empathize! I had my lasat period 3 or 4 years ago.

BAM! Out of nowhere I started bleeding today. Needless to say, I'm unhappy at the least, very concerned at the most.

Two things that happened this week were that I started walking a few hours each day (after having been pretty sedentary for many, many months), and, I'm under a lot of stress right now. I'm hoping it's one or the other or both of those things and not something serious.

It's scary when you start bleeding out of nowhere. My gynecologist said it could be many things when I asked him if it was most likely cancer.

My advice to you is to do what I'm doing, make an appointment with your doctor first, worry later.

Because this happened to me, I thought I'd check this forum and see if anyone else experienced this. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible Causes

o

You need to see a good gyn (ask girlfriends for recommendations) and sit and explain all this to him/her. Likely this is menopausal; the last year or two that I had periods, they were all over the calendar: every 2 weeks, 6 weeks, a day or two in duration, 5 days long. But you should definitely be discussing this with a doctor and not looking for online advice.

o

I have an appt. with a gyno on October 3rd, had to wait almost a month to get in to see her. This is more spotting and not a regular period, not even a light one, and I only notice the blood first thing in the morning, when I go to the bathroom. This all started with extreme external itching, burning, then this foul smell, then I noticed the bleeding. I have a yellow discharge, (sorry). Bleeding stopped for 2 weeks, came back again yesterday morning. Also have lower abdominal pain and low back pain, like cramping. This is very scary and is making the withdrawal torture.
Thanks you guys for your replies.

M.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here