Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menopause symptoms on bcp?

Posted by Tammy2564 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 16:09

About three years ago, my doctor put me back on bcp to control heavy periods caused by perimenopause. I had some other symptoms, but nothing not manageable. The idea was that I'd go off bcp at 50, and if I didn't have a period we'd know I was in menopause. Over the last 8-10 months, my symptoms have gotten much worse. Hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, "fuzzy thought." I saw a new gyn yesterday, and she said I shouldn't be experiencing these symptoms if I'm on the pill. I have a history of depression and take Effexor XR 75mg. She said the symptoms are also characteristic of depression or anxiety. I'm not sure about anxiety, but I don't feel depressed! I'm scheduled for an FSH test at the end of my next week of placebo pills. Has anyone else had the experience of increased menopausal symptoms while on the pill, or am I really just crazy? My new doc assured me that "crazy" is not a clinical diagnosis. :) I'll be 50 in five months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menopause symptoms on bcp?

Yes! I've been on BCP forever because of PCOS. My doctor told me the same thing about getting off the pill to see if I'm in menopause or not. She said I had to be off it for 3 months before she could do an accurate blood test because my hormones would even out by then. About 3 months ago (while still on the pill) I started having the hot flashes and lots of headaches and aches and pains. I decided to go off the pill to see what would happen. I also went to a proper GYN and she said I only had to be off the BCP for 7 days before she could do the FSH test and determine whether or not I was menopausal. Result was a 32 she said was post menopausal. I haven't had a period for 2 months now off the pill, however these past few days I have had a lot of cramping, am very bloated and am having discharge that looks like ovulation. I don't know if that means I'll get a period or not. They say you are not officially in menopause until you have had no period for 12 months.
So to answer your question:
I felt that my menopause had started breaking through the BCP as well because I was experiencing those same symptoms...maybe the BCP just masked the menopause until it started coming on too strong to be masked??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here