SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy57_gw

Going off the pill at 50

cindy57
16 years ago

Hi, I'm so glad this forum is here. Normally I go into the rose forum but never dreamed this one was on the gardenweb. Anyway I have been on Birth Control Pills for the last 30 years and was told one month before my 50th birthday to go off the pill due to high blood pressure.

I'm trying to find women who have experienced the same thing I'm going through now. I have been off for two months now and am experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. My gyn Doctor gave me a perscription for synthetic progesterone and told me to take it for three months or until I got my first period. Well after researching this drug I decided to go the natural route and use Natural Progesterone Cream. I have been using it for 21 days on and 7 days off like you would taking the pill. I still have'nt got my period and plan on using the cream one more month. My blood pressure has become lower but it is still not in the normal range. My question is How long did it take for the pill to get out of your system and lower your blood pressure (my doctor says 6 weeks) but I think I should give myself another month before going on blood pressure medicine. 2nd question is am I using the progesterone cream right and how long can I keep using it whether I get a period or not. I'm hoping some one out there has gone through this same thing and can shed some light on my problem

Thanks.

Cindy

Comments (123)

• Jennifer
    6 years ago

I have no idea if there is a correlation between our mother's menopause and ours. My mother passed away at 42 (breast cancer) and her mother at 39 (alcohol/diabetes) yet the grandmother died at 100. So far I'm ok since I made it to 46! Looking to hear others' responses.

• klimprecht
    6 years ago

Sorry you lost your mom so young. Mine passed away in 2016 after having a stroke and then heart problems. I was never close enough to have this discussion with her anyway but I remember when she went through menopause because she was a nightmare to deal with.

• Related Discussions

Bluestone Perennials Cearance Sale 50% Off

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you. There are some that I haven't been able to find locally that Bluestone has in their catalog (and might still have).
    ...See More

50% Off Sale

Q

Comments (1)
    That's great that they are expanding. It seems like so many nurseries are downsizing or going out of business these days. I think most of the nurseries in the Knoxville area are just holding on for dear life right now (except for the big box lawn and garden departments).
    ...See More

How do I know if I am in menopause if I am still on the pill?

Q

Comments (7)
    Birth control pills may help mask menopause symptoms By TOM VALEO Published March 28, 2006 All women can expect to enter menopause sooner or later, but women taking birth control pills may not notice, at least for a while. In the meantime, they can expect several benefits from the pill beside avoiding an unwanted pregnancy: They will avoid some of the most conspicuous signs of menopause, such as hot flashes, night sweats and irritability. "A woman on the birth control pill is getting hormones at a level above what her ovaries would produce,'' said Dr. Catherine Lynch, director of General Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa. "When a woman goes into menopause, the ovaries basically shut down and no longer produce estrogen or progesterone in any significant amounts, so a woman taking the birth control pill in the standard fashion of three weeks on active pills, followed by one week of inactive pills, often won't have any symptoms of menopause until that pill-free week. She may not even realize she's in menopause because she's getting adequate estrogen and still cycling.'' During the week when she is not taking active birth control pills, the woman may even have a "withdrawal bleed" caused by the sudden drop in estrogen. A withdrawal bleed is easily mistaken for a normal period. And if the woman is taking continuous-use birth control pills, she will take inactive pills only one week out of every 12 instead of every four, so she will have a withdrawal bleed no more than once every four months. "So a woman who's, say, 51 and taking Seasonale one of the continuous-use birth control pills isn't going to have hot flashes or night sweats for 12 weeks, because she's having estrogen provided for her by the pills,'' Dr. Lynch said. "She may experience symptoms during the week she takes inactive pills, but just as symptoms start to climb, she starts taking active pills again, and she won't appreciate that these are symptoms of menopause.'' But that's not all. Taking birth control pills also seems to reduce bone loss. In fact, if the woman is also doing weight-bearing exercises and getting plenty of calcium, low-dose birth control pills may even help build bone density. Women on the pill also experience less iron deficiency anemia, and some studies suggest that the pill protects against benign breast disease, endometrial cancer and epithelial ovarian cancer. The Cancer and Steroid Hormone Study, the largest to investigate this last issue, found a 40 percent decrease on average of ovarian cancer in women who had taken oral contraceptives. The risk decreased as the amount of time on the pill increased, so women who had taken the pill for seven years or longer experienced a reduction in the risk of ovarian cancer of 60 to 80 percent. Some Women on the pill also experience less iron deficiency anemia, and some studies suggest that the pill protects against benign breast disease, endometrial cancer and epithelial ovarian cancer. studies suggest that oral contraceptives might even protect against colorectal cancer, uterine fibroid tumors, Alzheimer's disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Taking the pill has always meant an increase in the risk of blood clots, which can cause a stroke. But a woman who does not smoke, does not have high blood pressure, and takes a low-dose oral contraceptive can almost eliminate that additional risk. So why not just stay on the pill and enjoy all the benefits of hormone-replacement therapy, known as HRT? Because even low-dose birth-control pills deliver five to seven times as much estrogen as HRT. HRT simply gives the body back what the ovaries were producing before they were shut down by menopause. The birth control pill delivers a dose of hormones large enough to shut down the ovaries, and it's pointless for a woman to keep taking hormones after menopause has begun and she has stopped ovulating. She would be better off with hormone-replacement therapy, which would provide her with the same benefits but a lower dose of hormone. "The trick is figuring out when she is in menopause,'' Dr. Lynch said. "There are a couple of ways to test this, but they're not 100 percent reliable. She can go off the pill and see if she's still cycling, but if she's sexually active, there's an outside chance she could get pregnant. "While it's rare for pregnancy to occur at the age of 50 or 51, it can happen if you're still ovulating.'' Tom Valeo is a freelance writer specializing in medical and health issues. Contact him c/o Seniority, St. Petersburg Times, P.O. Box 1121, St. Petersburg, FL 33731, or e-mail features at sptimes dot com. [Last modified March 28, 2006, 08:52:07] Here is a link that might be useful: from a Florida online newspaper
    ...See More

going off the pill, hot flashes and night sweats

Q

Comments (4)
    If I remember correctly (that's a problem in itself!), the test for estrogen level was pretty definitive - I was below the level that I was supposed to be, and I think the doc tested me again in about 6 months without an improvement. By then, I knew without them telling me that the remaining ovary wasn't working and that I was going in to menopause. My mother also did not provide any info. She, in fact, said it wasn't that bad. For me, it's been 10 years of hell. I started with hot flashes about every 1/2 hour, and now I'm about every 1.5-2 hours. That's a lot (or not much) of disturbed sleep. I do remember something that my doc told me, but I haven't really researched it - women who have less body fat have more severe menopausal symptoms because they don't have any or have less stored estrogen. Not that that will make you feel any better! Still, my exercise kind of keeps me sane and out of the "poor me" mindframe. Hopefully, this isn't really menopause for you. I have seen some comments about hot flashes from women going off the pill - maybe doc can answer whether that's common.
    ...See More
  • lrisinger
    6 years ago

I have hormonal migraines and I am 53. I was on BC full cycle for the last 8 years and on BC low dose for 20+. I came off at my GYNs urgent request due to a spike in my BP in May. I just got my period this week. What a bummer. So many months without. But my migraines have not gotten any worse. In fact my neuron said often in menopause they improve. I am on a maintenance dose of zonegram daily. But really coming off BC has had no effect on them.

• Tracie Turner
    6 years ago

Has anyone tried Biote? Its hormone pellets the dr injects under your skin? My friends love it and say they have felt better than they have in years. More testosterone, therefore more energy, and more libido. I came off the pill at age 54, after my gyn said I shouln’t be on it anymore. My gp had kept me on it to keep me from having hot flashes, as I wasn’t quite into menopause. Mt gyn has me off bc for three weeks, then will have me do a blood test to check my hormone levels, and then will start Biote soon after that. Check it out. It looks great! My friends say they won’t go without it now.

• svanflicka
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Have any of you who have come off the pill at this age experienced problems with post-pill acne? Is there a way to avoid it when transitioning to HRT? When I discontinued the pill in my 20s, I broke out in acne and clogged pores even though I hadn’t experienced it before. Now I’ve been on an oral contraceptive for the past six months and would rather be on HRT. I believe I am menopausal or very close to menopausal. If cycles don’t return (due to menopause) then I’m afraid no estrogen will come back to offset temporary testosterone rebound when coming off the pill. I will be switching to HRT, which will hopefully help, but I understand that the pill is more powerful. Just curious if anyone has experiences or advice about this.

• Jennifer
    6 years ago

Well, I decided to stop taking the pill today. It's been 30 years and
    although the switch to Marvelon has stopped the spotting I was getting
    about a week before my period, I just don't like the dryness that I
    continue to experience. Makes sex much less enjoyable - not that it's a
    huge issue but maybe it's time to stop these pills anyway. I just turned
    47 last week. I'm going to give it 3 months or so to see if there's any
    difference. Maybe I'm even menopausal and don't know it. I'm very
    nervous, actually, since I have NEVER stopped taking the pill since
    starting it. I have no idea what to expect. I'm sure I'll live ....lol
    ....just a change in a routine that has me nervous. As for getting
    pregnant? I don't think that will happen. My partner is much older than I
    and has his own issues so conventional sex isn't the norm with us
    anyway. I'll use the Monthly Period tracker to chart my days and well,
    if we were to get pregnant, that's ok. Not that we want to get pregnant
    but we're ok if it happens. I have no children, he only has one child.
    Wish me luck!

• cmfield11
    6 years ago

Ladies, EVERYONE is different. I know we are all on here to find answers, but we can't tell others what to do or not do! That being said, I'll share my story and wonder if anyone has experienced similar. Have been on BC pills ( very low dose and same ones) since 16, am now 51. At 47, I started to experience sudden weight gain and mostly fat, and was told to go off BC to find out where I was. This Dr. told me to go off for 4 months so hormones could be tested. It was miserable, but I did it. Not in menopause, probably perimenopause. But this Dr. said " You're at that age, you just have to eat less and work out at least 2 hours a day!" WHAT?!?! That's your answer??? Well, needless to say, that was a MAN! Went to a Integrative Dr.......find out I had Hashimoto's!!! After finding the right dose of Armour - I was back in biz and looking better than I had in a long time!!! YAY!!! Then last year before my 51st b.day, I decided to find out if I was "in menopause" b/c its the age my Mom and older sister went through it, and I was practically unable to have intercourse due to unbearable pain with insertion - so didn't get very far!!! So, Dr. said, go off a week, and we can test FSH, which is apparently all you need to test to detect menopause. But I decided to stay off longer before being tested, so I could get an idea of my hormone levels. Started to have hot flashes, trouble sleeping and just felt BAD. So, after 90 days+ of being off bc pills, and no period, I had the hormone levels checked. I was most likely in menopause. But Dr. won't say for sure until no period for 1 year - whatever! So, Dr. recommends BHRT - combo of Est/Prog/Test....I start and OMG,I thought I had died and gone ot heaven!!! Felt amazing looked amazing and sex was working again YAY!!!!....NO, not so fast.......after 2 weeks....the downhill spiral started.....constipation( worse than I already always had dealt with my whole life - IBS) weight gain EVERYWHERE, but mostly in abdomen and hips, after never having weight problem my whole life, only having to increase exercise as I approached 50...feeling BLOATED ALL THE TIME, which made the weight gain more pronounced, breasts SOOOO tender and swollen....joint pain, fatigue.....the only plus, was sex still great again!!! So, then Dr. broke up all the hormones to decide which one was causing the issue. Mainly, lowering Progesterone......well, more of the same times 2!!! So, I am DONE.......I should have NEVER gone off BC pills.....I NEVER had an issue while on them - NEVER! This is a nightmare....and even if sex is great again, I dont want to have it b/c I feel like a whale and woudl rather not be naked in front of myself let alone my husband! So, yes, I am going back on BC pills, as I have no hypertension, or cancer family history. This sh** is insane, and I cannot beleive with this many women struggling for answers that more has not been done to find "cures" or otherwise. I applaud all the women on here taking charge to find what works for them...b/c clearly Dr.'s have NO CLUE, they really, really don't and are basically palying a game of craps with us all, until something comes up as a winner!! Best of luck to all of you.....I am certainly hoping going back on the pill helps me.....I'll keep you posted!! Best! C.

• cmfield11
    6 years ago

Hello again!!! Need to add a postscript to my above post....re: my statement about never having weight issues my whole life. A year and a half before I turned 47, I dropped down 20lbs in a little over a month, to the lowest weight I had been since puberty! That's alot of weight to lose for me, I am 5'6", large breasted and muscular - well, I became RIPPED, but also lost some of my boobs which has NEVER happened....hubbs was not happy!! And most people, told me I was too skinny....but it was kinda fun, I wont lie! ;) Still, I don't know why it happened...I just suddenly lost my appetite completely! Most likely stress, as was dealing with aging parents and the issues surrounding. But then about 15 months later it started to come back and I had an appetite and then some and the weight came back on FAST...and it looked like it was ALL FAT. After that weight came back and little bit more, is when I found out about the Hashimoto's diagnosis, so the quick loss and gain back, could have actually been part of that! But after getting the right Armour dosaging down, I was back to my previous happy place weight! But then came the terrible decision to go off the birth control.....and here I am looking like the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man.....and miserable.....So, yes, I have had weight issues, but it was just that one time, and that was a thyroid issue....I get tested regularly and my thyroid is fine....this is ALL a female hormone issue and it sucks!!! If this happened to men, we'd have a "cure" already!! Off to take my BC pill......while crossing my fingers.....;)

• Jennifer
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for posting cmfield11 - was comforting to hear from another person who had been on BC for so long and around my age too. I've been off the pill for 2 weeks now and so far okay. I can't say if the dryness has gotten any better because I've been sick with a chest cold and then had minor surgery this week so no romance quite yet, maybe next week ;) I, too, will test the FSH levels soon to see where I'm at. If, after 3 months, the dryness doesn't get better and I'm not menopausal, then I'm thinking I'll go back on Pill. I like the regularity of it, that's for sure.

• cmfield11
    6 years ago

Hi Jennifer! Yes, It is comforting to know we gals are NOT losing our minds and this is all very real, as proven by how many women have posted here and for so long! I've looked on to other blog boards and there are many others in same boat, it's just criminal that the medical community won't pay more attention to THIS change in a women's life, as it really can be BEYOND disruptive! In any event, I do hope you continue on your smooth ride!! Please keep us posted! I will,too re; my new round of the pill....I don't know if its just pure hope, but I could swear I feel better already....I definitely don't feel as bloated today and it's only been a couple of days back on...we'll see if that continues....All the best! ; )

• Cathi de Vriend
    6 years ago

Gosh, some of these stories are freaking out as I try and make a decision about stopping the BC pill. I've read every comment on here, and I've just realized that at 58 years old, I seem to be the oldest one on here still taking the BC pill... I've taken it on and off since the age of 16. I gave birth to three daughters from my late 20's to early 30's and always went straight back on the pill afterwards. After having my first child, I ended up with a prolapsed bladder, bowel and uterus which got worse after each birth. I had the prolapse operation after my last child and they saved the uterus. The operation was successful for about 3 years and then it all prolapsed again... I had the operation again at around the age of 40 in which they removed the uterus as it was actually hanging out of me. Just before I had the operation, I took my last BC pill. I was thrown straight into peri-menopause after the operation, which the gyno had reassured me wasn't possible after I'd shown him an article saying this could happen... I experienced hot flushes, swollen boobs, and was so miserable that I wanted to kill myself. I was not expecting this after being reassured it wouldn't happen. After experiencing this, I rang the gyno and told him I was going straight back on the pill. He told me it was worth a try as I hadn't left it too long. My symptoms disappeared about a month later and I've been on it ever since. Sadly, the operation only lasted a few years and the bladder and bowel prolapsed again and I need the operation again. At 58, I'm holding it off as I don't know how many more times I will require this operation. It seems that I am weak internally. My mother had this operation twice and has needed it done a third time but has refused it. The side effects I suffer from taking Estelle - a really strong pill - is 7lbs weight gain, then it stops there, fluid retention all year but worse during summer, and the BC pill could possibly be the cause of the very bad varicose veins in my legs. They were removed about 7 years ago but came back worse. I'm so scared to go off the pill as peri-menopause was a nightmare for me.... If not for the pill, I believe I would have eventually killed myself, so it saved my life! I have other health problems not related to taking BC pills. My 84 year old mother had no real issues going through menopause, other than hot flushes which she said were tolerable. She still gets them regularly, which my Doctor told her is quite common. Say what??? We never knew this fact! My peri-menopause symptoms were much worse than my mother's experience with full on menopause.... I was given HRT to replace the pill for a few months about 6 years ago, but it didn't agree with me, so I ended up back on the pill. My Aunty, related through marriage, took the BC pill until she was 70 years old with no problems. After going off it, my Aunty had no menopausal symptoms - maybe she skipped them! My main concern is that no one seems to know much about the pill being able to stop peri-menopause and prevent full blown menopause.... I can't find any information on it. There is a genetic female history of hair loss in our family on my mother's side.... All her sisters suffered from it, as do my much younger female cousins. My hair has thinned out a lot over the years but not anywhere near as badly as my female relatives. I got lucky! I've managed to keep my figure and small waist and look about 15 years younger than I really am. I've been told that the hormones in the pill could have contributed to this. I'm too scared to go off the pill due to the unknown. If I get thrown straight into full menopause at the age of 58, I don't know if I could handle it along with all my other health issues I have that are not related to this. I don't know if I would be as lucky to stop it with the pill next time around like I did when I was 40. I'd really rather not take the risks that are associated with taking the pill at my age. One of my biggest concerns is my varicose vein issue which is causing major problems for me. I'm also scared of deep vein thrombosis although I've been told I'm not at risk, but who really knows? My mother has no varicose veins and I fear that the pill could be the cause of them. Sorry for the long comment! I'm so glad I came across this on here... All the best to everyone!

• graykat44
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm 2 months from my 55th bday. Got on this post cause I've been on bc since late 20's, no kids, ortho-novum generic and have been having a lot of hot flashes since going off the pill. At last health check my GP asked when I was going to go off bc, I replied when I knew I wouldn't get pregnant! Hubs dumped me so I guess I am safe. Bp had been high but I attributed it to stress for the last 5-6 years. Not really overweight and fairly active so my doc attributed my high BP to white coat hypertension. I read recently that this type of hypertension has real dangers as it could indicate how you handle stress, so I decided a change was needed. Besides, long term hypertension can affect blood flow to brain causing a greater probability for dementia and other stuff so I started to check BP regularly at home. When home it can be high for a few days and then it goes down, then I stop checking it and after a while it is up a. Gain and I check it for a while and sure enough I have gone through this cycle a few times. So, apart from these posts I did not know 1) the pill is related to hbp (high blood pressure) 2) you may have light periods although going through menopause while still on the pill. So, this month I had made a decision to do more positive things with my mind and from the beginning of the month my top BP reading was in the 180's (yes, I know, dangerously high) and has dropped to 117. Crazy big drop! My BP was not like this since the first year of marriage! Don't know if this is related to no more bcp or positive changes in life or perhaps both cause I was only doing the positive changes for my blood pressure. Will let you guys know. I have had hot flashes for years, didn't know bcp helped with that, now that I'm off the pill (about 3 weeks) I have noticed more, but definitely related to my thinking, I think. Hahaha. Over the years I have gone through periods of a couple of weeks of hot flashes and then nothing, so don't know if that is what is happening again, although before I was on the pill. Periods had been very light last several years so I am curious if they will come back at all and if I had gone though menopause. My mom said she was about 55. I don't have any sisters and Mom didn't have any either. No increase in libido but that could be due to not nice husband. Worried about the acne cause I've always had back acne while on the pill, so hope that doesn't get worse. I actually feel clear headed and although I wake often due to hot flashes and snoring husband I don't feel any more tired. Really I feel pretty decent. As far as weight gain, gained about 10 lbs when I went though some stress a few years ago, didnt work out the same, ate a little more junk, but now that I'm feeling a little better, maybe I'll be able to get back to normal and drop it? Thanks to everyone for your honest posts. It has been a real eye-opener.

• newsgirl23
    5 years ago

Welcome to the forum! As soon as I stopped BCP, the hot flashes came with a vengeance. Like 2-4 an hour and more night sweats. I've been off the pill for 3 months now and no sign of a period or withdrawl bleed. I've had a bit of cramping but nothing. Family dr started me on Clonidine for hot flashes but going to Gyn. this week for second opinion -- and sex has been painful/burning. Never like this before. Perhaps Clonidine would be good for you since it is a bp medicine. But sounds like you're making some positive changes in your mindfulness - that certainly helps. BP is definitely affected by stress.

• HU-362885
    5 years ago

I am 56. I am still on birth control. I take one a week. I have been on them since I was 20. I went for bio-identicals when I was 40, that was a disaster! When I was 48 I was peri menopausal and had a drop in estrogen and my high testosterone due to PCOS, caused a 25 lb weight gain and a bad case of cystic acne. I then started taking Spirolactone with my BC, the weight dropped by half and the acne cleared. My gyno then told me at 51 he wouldn't give me any BC he did no lab tests, didn't get a history of my mother and grandmother, just pushed an Estogel that his wife was taking and that he had samples of and that would cost me $150 instead of $10 for BC. I felt like he was pushing me on it so his wife could get her Estogel free! Anyway I dumped him I am still on Yaz but have weaned myself down to one a week. I have never had any meno symptoms. I lost the rest of the weight I also take powdered collagen and my hair, nails and skin are great. I will never stop taking bc I believe that our hormones control our entire bodies and mental health. BC is hormone replacement but big Pharma labels it HR and charges us double!

• Sarah Kinner
    5 years ago

Are you still having a period? Because of taking birth control pills. You can reach me at SarahDkinner@gmail.com

• newsgirl23
    5 years ago

Gyno gave me Vagifem tabs and advised I go back on Marvelon to help with hot flashes. However this time, she said for me to take Marvelon 4 packs at a time, then have a one week period, then go back to 4 months on pill. I may try the Vagifem to see if that helps with hot flashes - pharmacist said it might be enough to do the trick.

• cmfield11
    5 years ago

Well, I wrote back in Feb. about going back on pill. Did that and started to feel a bit more "normal".....but low and behold later that month....I got a period!!! WHAT?!?! Had not had one in years!!! When I was doing the typical 21 days on pill and 7 days of "placebo" I would get MAYBE a 1/2 day of spotting, along with all the great PMS side effects though!! So, I then was told to go on continuous BC, so I did. That was helpful for skipping the "symptoms". But that was before my adventure when I was trying to figure out if I was in menopause....and my trial with BHT( nightmare) and goign off the pill( different nightmare) to now goign back on the pill, but again continuously - no break! But I got a period during that time???? So, I atopped for a couple of days, but just went right back on and rode it out. But I felt like that 15 year old me who went on BC pills to begin with b/c of crazy heavy, unpredictable periods!! Cramps from hell, heavy bleeding, headache, gastro issues the whole nine yards! UGHHH....well, guess I'm not in menopause.....so get throught that and go along my merry way on the pill everyday......then 3 days ago...BOOM.....again period!!! WTF??? Same as before,cramps from hell, heavy bleeding, headaches, gastro issues, emotional...so I said to myslef, well, it came on on a Sunday, I'll just go through the "placebos" and treat it like a real period whiel taking BCP and then start new pack next Sunday....I mean, Hey, what else, can I do????? This has been a crazy ride!! but I cannot, for the life of me figure out WHY AM I GETTING A PERIOD WHILE ON THE PILL??? Does it mean it's not enough Estrogen to stave off a period??? I've never changed the BC pills prescription( very low dose prescription) since I was 15, 51 now, so is it too low and that's why?? Who knows....but neither do the doctors....so playing my own right now.....we'll see....This shoudl not be the case in 2018!! The fact that we don't know more about women's health is really unacceptable and we should ALL be outraged!!!

• Susan Thiel
    5 years ago

Oh Boy!. So glad I found this thread.... Went to gyn for my yearly and get my bcp script..Well... the dr said she can not refill my bcp at my age - 50 and with my hbp and other risk factors. I too have been on it for over 30 yrs with only a break 22 yrs ago with the birth of my twins. I told her, as my mom had always drilled into my head about being careful of the "change of life baby" as I do not want to get preggo (not much sex happening but even so) My c-section nearly took my life, so any future thoughts of pregnancies always gave me anxiety. The dr said if I got preg she would take the baby cause she is sure I will not get preg. She did to an ultrasound up in there- could she have seen any locked doors? I decided since it is the first of the month to stop the bcp. Scared shitless... I have a cruise (first one ever!) in two months and I don't want to feel like some of you in the above threads. I was so emotional after my dr visit yesterday I drank a whole bottle of wine! Getting older is supposed to be the golden years - ugh! Also, I am nervous about weight gain--I lost 50lbs last year, and slightly gaining a little now- on Weight Watchers with a goal to become lifetime. But will I gain again because of the horrid hormones?? This stinks...

-Sue from Jersey

• wesssara
    5 years ago

Every woman is different but I posted in September 2017 that I had been off BC for four months and had no symptoms or issues so far. Well my update is great news - I am now off the pill for 12 months with no symptoms or issues! I think I actually went thru menopause maybe at age 51 (now I'm 56) with hot flashes as my only issue at that time. I know many women suffer terribly thru this but there is hope for an easy transition thru this period of life.

• Sarah Kinner
    5 years ago

I have gone through a rough time and my doctors wouldn’t put me back on the pill either but now I have found a great doctor here in Myrtle Beach her name is Tracy Nelson. She has prescribed me bio identical hormone’s and it’s working wonderfully

• djs1960
    5 years ago

Finding this thread has been wonderful, and frightening! I’m 57 and only began birth control 11 years ago when Peri-menopause caused such hemorrhaging for 9 months that I was practically housebound. My wonderful, female family doctor recommended BC, and had been doing blood tests every year or so to check if I was through menopause and no longer fertile, etc. Two years ago; at the last blood test, still possibly fertile! In the meantime, she retired, and her replacement (young guy) simply refilled prescription until last week! I got the “absolutely no more”. No warning, no ability to plan for a good time, in case this goes very badly. I knew I had to go off eventually, but..... Frankly, I’m terrified. Really hoping, since I’m 57, that the worst is behind me, and this is manageable. Just finished placebo week and should have begun again today. Regular pseudo period happened, but now what? I’ll check back in after awhile. I really feel for you just 50 year olds; Staying on until 57, I really hope I’m over the hump; I would not have been at 50! Thanks, sisters!

• newsgirl23
    5 years ago

I was terrified of going off the pill after 30 years of being on it with no breaks. It was fine. I've been off for 4 months, no period and hot flashes like crazy so I've decided to go back on the Pill on advice from dr. I'm having too many night sweats so interrupting my sleep. My first FSH test in Feb was 75.4 and I just re-took it last week and came back with 92. So, going to go back on pill to try to stave off these hotflashes. I tried clonidine for a couple of weeks but it didn't really help. I'm 47.

• HU-657873527
    5 years ago

Glad I found this thread.

Im 56 and have been told by my Dr to get off YAZ because they are not allowed to prescribe it at my age. Ive been stable on it for years. Im now on a patch and prometrium which gives me migraines, itchy skin and androgenic alopecia...yuck.

Ive had a blood test which indicated I am in pituitary failure for fsh hormone.

Id like to try going off it completely but dont know what to expect.

• newsgirl23
    5 years ago

I'm now a month back on the Pill and my hot flashes are GONE - thank god! I'm sleeping through the night again too. Whew. I am taking Vagifem and that also has helped tremendously with the vaginal dryness.

• Cathi de Vriend
    5 years ago

My Doctor switched me over from Estelle to a lower dose eostrogen Pill - Femme. I think they're the generic names. I did research on both brands of contraceptive pills, and it's only been 2 weeks, but so far so good - no signs of menopause - winning! I was concerned over the problems associated with Estelle as it's a strong pill and I have really bad varicose veins. I'm planning to eventually cut back to one pill every second day and slowly stop altogether if I get no signs of menopause. This will be an experiment with a spare packet of pills on hand if needed. I'm determined to skip menopause if it kills me! I'm 17 months off 60 now, and after the dreadful signs of peri-menopause at 40 after my hysterectomy, and successfully stopping it with Estelle, I'm hesitant to take the risk of full blown menopause. If it gets me, I know I'll be one of those to suffer badly from past experience. My poor 84 year old mother still gets hot flashes! Not good...

• Jay Cee
    5 years ago

Great reading this thread as I navigate this transition. Thank you all.

I'm 50, was on monophasic low-dose pill for 25 years, which corrected PMDD (as part of early research study), ovarian cysts, acne. Basically, the pill "fixed" everything. After "fixing" my disabling depression (PMDD) went on to grad school, launching my own biz, lots of good stuff. Overall I felt lucky to have a good quarter century and know what it was like to be "normal" after so much suffering. I took continuous-dose bc (3 months on, 1 week off) to prevent depression, which worked well for me. I was lucky to have worked with a research group that would prescribe it this way prior to FDA approvals of seasonal bc pills.

Given my fears of severe depression, I have prepped for going off BC pills since my 49th birthday and slowly tapered down (on advice from GP and research colleague) pills for a full year, until I was down to 1/4 pill 3 days a week. Though there was no way to test my FSH while on the pill, I sensed prior to 49 that things were changing -- brain fog started at age 45, vaginal dryness, even on the pill, started at 48, but became very bad once pill tapering began, and also weight gain/shift to abdomen. Started Vagfem 2 months ago which has worked very well for me for vaginal atrophy symptoms (urinary urgency, vag dryness). I completely stopped the bc pill 3 weeks ago then started phyto-estrogenic supplements (this is not a recommendation, but I'm one to experiment), including chaste-berry blend, resveratrol, and sea buckthorn oil for dryness. I'm definitely "hot flashy" but it's tolerable, skin breaking out, but using Retin-A and clay mask for now. BP normal, but it was inching up to the top of "good" while on the pill full strength. I want to keep BP down as I think this is a key to quality of life long term. Seeing a new gyn in 3 weeks (change in health coverage, unfortunately) and will decide whether further hrt is needed. I have scaled back my workload for now (normally a very heavy workload/hours) so I can keep up my "transition plan" - an absurdly healthy diet, light exercise every day, weights 2x a week, and allow myself to sleep in when insomnia hits (this is lifelong, but no tolerance for this getting worse). Worst habit is that I like wine...a lot. Trying to keep it to weekends, but I slip frequently.

With the exception of the last months of scaled back work, I have always worked long hours. I plan to build my business out in my 50s and am not into suffering if avoidable. I need this decade! Any hint of the harrowing depression that comes with PMDD and I will have a steady flow of synthetic estrogen in my veins in a skinny minute. For now, I'll try to fly without it.

I'll report back after the washout of hormones to add another "case study" to this thread. I encourage others who wrote about going off the pill initially to give us progress notes. It's very helpful to hear your challenges and also successes.

• HU-53984147601814596272
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the information on this thread! I am glad to know I am not alone. 53 and went to GYN last month and suddenly had HBP. I always had Low BP and am slim and athletic (runner, swimmer, weights, yoga) so that was a shock! I have endometriosis and always had periods from hell which were helped by Ortho Tri Cyclin. I have been on and off BC since 18. Every time I have been off it has been hell. One child 10 years ago through IVF. Doc said I absolutely have to go off BC due to the HBP and age. Went off on June 9th, cold turkey. Had a "pill period" 5 days later. 30 days after pill period I started with cramps and bloating etc and waited for my period. Cramps went away after 5 days but no period! Bloating and weight gain remain. I have no hot flashes, night sweats, migraines, fuzzy head etc. I have moodiness but that is part of my personality LOL. It might be more than usual but I would be moody no matter what after going through 5 days of cramps from hell! Waiting to see if period comes after 60 days or not and will be visiting my GYN for hormone tests etc. Love to hear updates from everyone!

• djs1960
    5 years ago

Hey Everyone! It’s now been 9 weeks since the last time I had a pill. Had a time the first month with headaches but they seem to be subsiding. The crazy thing was I had my blood pressure go UP after I stopped. WHAT??? I’m down 12 pounds since “before” (on purpose), so it’s the last thing I expected. Being super cautious, exercising, etc and keeping as healthy as I can. Actual menopause symptoms have been minor: mainly hot flashes, and a general crappy feeling around the time I would have had a period? No bleeding. Saw the OBGYN and did a blood test. I’m through menopause. So glad I was over 55 when I went off pill..

• HU-53984147601814596272
    5 years ago

Follow up. I started my period the day after I wrote my comments
    above. It is a pretty average period for me so maybe not going into
    menopause yet!

• HU-581544368
    5 years ago

I have just stopped using birth control about 2 weeks ago I'm 51 will be 52 in 3 months. I noticed that I had started to gain weight 10 pounds to be exact. Has anyone had this problem. I have been on birth control for 29 years non stop and have high blood pressure. But I am more concerned with the weight gain cause I am at 196 and it makes me sick. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

• cmfield11
    5 years ago

I am the same age, been on pill about as long. I went off a while back and the SAME thing occurred. All I can say, is if you are not in menopause yet, you need to keep things as consistent as possible. I went back on and the weight came off, and I felt better, too. I woudl also have you r thyroid checekd. I foun out 5 years ago, upon entering perimenpause , that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis....also causes weight gain! Best of luck....this whole thing is not definitely NOT EASY!!!!

• HU-878901167
    5 years ago

I am confused about who actually does the test to determine if I am premenopausal is it the OB/gyn or GP both my docs say different things. I have the high blood pressure recently on meds & seems to be coming down into normal range.

• cmfield11
    5 years ago

There is no "real" test for it. A blood test of your hormones might reveal a decrease which is a sign...but b/c hormones fluctuate so much one day you could appear to be perimenopausal one day and 2 days later you may not. My doctor ( an integrative hormone specialist) says it's best to go by symptoms, as you know your body best. So, symptoms + blood work is best to get a better indication. And if you are on the pill you must be off a good 3 months + to get a decent read at all......

• HU-428134540
    5 years ago

Has anyone experienced memory issues after going off the pill? I'm 52 and went off the pill 3 months ago because my doctor said she couldn't prescribe it anymore due to my age. All of a sudden, since going off the pill, I feel like i'm losing my mind! My memory is definitely getting bad. I am so terrified that I may be developing dementia, but am hoping it is hormonal and treatable. Any thoughts or advice?

• djs1960
    5 years ago

A “new message” email brought me back here, so I thought I’d add a 10 month later update. And for HU-428134540, memory “fog” is a common symptom of menopause, so I figure stopping the pill cold turkey makes it really obvious! A good friend in her mid sixties told me the “sixties are great”, as everything levels out and the fog clears... so I am hoping! Fifty eight (58) years old, off the pill for 10 months, and never got a period, the headaches have lessened, hot flashes manageable but still occurring. OBGYN suggested black cohosh when I transitioned, and I keep taking it. No idea if it helps, but doesn’t seem to hurt so I maintain. Weight is my continuing struggle. And again, thankful I was older when I went cold turkey, because at 50 or so, it would have been much worse. Be well everyone!

• HU-35819347
    5 years ago

Dear HU 428, I would get a new doctor my gyro did the same thing to me but I got a new doctor and I am still taking yaz at 57 although I take one a week now. I have never had a hot flash or any meno issues. They don’t tell you that even though your period stops you will still have meno symptoms you have to regulate your hormones or your life will be miserable.

• graykat44
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Howdy everybody! Well, just passed my one year mark. Almost 56. No periods so I guess I am DONE! So annoyed with myself for not knowing that the pill induces a period. I probably went through menopause years ago. Hot flashes come and go, I found that monitoring my emotions helps as well as avoiding any quick temperature changes, as my body seems to go into overdrive to regulate it. So, for me, don’t like hot flashes but I’m not letting it dominate my life. Hubs likes a very, very warm room to sleep in, again, instead of getting upset, I just regulate me and if I wake up too hot, I don’t let myself get worked up about it. So while a night without waking up is rare, hot flashes or not, overall, my sleep is pretty good. I feel more rested now than I did on the pill. Additionally, as far as weight gain, started caring for parents and lost some weight. Weirdly being around them and eating on their schedule has helped me find my old way of life. I had been eating very little trying to lose weight, yet, now it seems like I can’t eat enough! So I’m going to say that perhaps my weight gain has been due to denied depression, sitting around depressed, eating unsatisfying food and thinking that the gym would compensate for a life that was mostly sleeping and sitting. Still little to no sex but glad to have lost some weight. Going to add body weight training and see how I do. Yes, menopause is different for everyone. I will say that for as much as I have read on exercise and other health related topics I am disappointed in myself for not educating myself better on menopause and am so ill prepared for what it brings. Guess, really, I still am I’ll prepared and uninformed. Also, apart from hearing an old lady complain about hot flashes, weight gain (which I viewed as “old lady“ normal) an occasional commercial about vaginal dryness, didn’t even suspect there could be issues. This is a huge part of life, all of the rest of our lives. Just a side note, since I’ve been busy with caring for the folks, I’ve not been to the gym but a couple of times in the past few months. Arms are getting that old lady crepy look, don’t know if it is due to menopause and/or lack of weight training. At home body weight work seems to be the most feasible workout time-wise for me, ill let you know if it is enough. Be strong gals!

• cmfield11
    4 years ago

Graykat44, not 56, 53, but can tell you weight training will absolutely make that "old lady" look go away! I have always been active in fitness as a Personal Trainer, but, too noticed 2 things, 1.That I was getting that slack look to my skin. 2. What used to work doesn't now. That being said, lifting HEAVY weights is the key! Using "pink girlie" dumbells isn't going to cut it anymore!! MAke sure you check with your Dr. that you are clear to lift, and then find a good trainer, or program that you can do. It may be you do way less reps, but that's ok, as long as you do them to muscle exhaust - that is where the change comes. And give you muscles plenty of time to recoup as well, that's where the rest of the change comes - recovery! We are strong, even at "this age" - so don't discount yourself just because of a number! And your body will thank you and work for you far into the future!! Good luck with all! :)

• D P
    4 years ago

Hi I’m 53 and have been on birth control since I was in my 20’s. I have no issues - no high blood pressure, no weight issues, no diabetes no issues whatsoever - my cholesterol is 130. I work out etc. & my obgyn told me the “research says you have to come off bc at 53” which seems pretty arbitrary to me & what research??? I refuse. She wants to put me on a progesterone pill. I refuse to transition my body off of bc when I’m completely healthy and fine to start something new etc. I’m a teacher & I asked is she could continue the script for 10 more months & summer 2020 I’ll just stop the pill. Period. Whatever I experience will be over the summer. She said no ... so now what? I’m making appointments with new obgyns but I’m nervous. I can’t understand how she can just make decisions about my health without my input. Any suggestions?

Thanks DP

• Cathi de Vriend
    4 years ago

I'll be 60 in December, and while my Dr doesn't like the idea of me being on the pill, he still gives me scripts. If he decides to stop before I'm ready to go off it, I'll find another doctor or someone else to get it for me, like one of my daughters. My 86 year old mother still gets hot flushes which really bother her, although, she was lucky when she was younger and pretty much breezed through menopause. After my hysterectomy at around 40, I was thrown straight into peri-menopause which was a total nightmare. That's why I started taking the CP again. I switched from the high dose one to a low dose one about 18 months ago. No signs of menopause, but I'll still take it for as long as I can. There is no research on this subject, and nowhere have I ever heard or read that you must go off the CP at 53. Funny thing is; if you go off it and have symptoms of menopause, the doctor or gyno would more than likely give you HRT - more hormones! HRT didn't agree with my body well...

• D P
    4 years ago

Hi Cathi thanks for commenting. Thats exactly what she said - hormonal therapy. I was like - it’s still estrogen. I have always been on a low dose bc pill. Now Im stressing bc my pack ends in two weeks & I need the refill. She called in a prescription for the progesterone pill but I’m not taking that. I might try an online doc or something. I’m going for my annual physical this week & my primary care is always amazed at my numbers. I’m going to speak with her about it & see if she can refer me or help in some way

thanks

• Cathi de Vriend
    4 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck with it all. The main thing is that you know you're healthy, as does your doctor, and that the CP isn't causing any problems. If it works for you, why change it? You'll know when it's best to stop taking it. All the best.

• D P
    4 years ago

Thanks. Just an FYI to anyone reading ... I went onto HeyDoctor and completed the refill request - a year supply was refilled and sent to my local CVS - 20 bucks!

• newsgirl23
    4 years ago

I'm 48 and back on the pill to deal with hot flashes. My obgyn told me I could stay on pill until her arbitrary number of 50, then I'd have to switch to HRT (if I was still experiencing hot flashes).

• HU-941166584
    4 years ago

Hey ladies please keep in mind that some of these negative symptoms that are posted on this site vary from woman to woman depending on the health of the woman during and after the woman got off of the birth control pill. If you have prior health problems to getting off the BC pill this will probably exacerbate your health problems when you off of BC pills permanently. Obviously some of the symptoms are common amongst all the ladies, but some of the symptoms are unique to every woman, so you will not know what will happen to your body until it is your turn. Only you know how healthy you are and you also know once you get off of the BC pill if you plan on continuing to live a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise and taking the appropriate meds prescribed by your doctor. The bottom line is, every one is different and unique.

• HU-358338405
    4 years ago

I just found this group. I’m 49 and went off bc in October for the first time in 30 years (except when I had my kids). I’d struggled with night sweats and high blood pressure for years while on a combination pill. It never occurred to me that the pill could have been causing these problems. My primary doc suggested I take Metagenics Estrovera and a multi vitamin. Since going off the pill and taking the Estrovera, my night sweats are gone, bp is down and I feel great. Only problem is periods are lasting 8+ days and less than 3 weeks apart. Any idea how long it takes to regulate after stopping? Going broke on tampons!

• danellem
    4 years ago

I am so glad this discussion is on here! I am 52, and was just told to go off the combo pill in August, after being on it nearly continuously since 17 when I picked it up in college. My blood pressure had started to go up last year, so we figured this was the cause. I had never had high blood pressure before - usually the opposite. I tried reducing salt and increasing exercise for a bit, but it had little impact. So, I was recommended going off or switching to the mini-pill progesterone-only.

The first two weeks were fine, then I had a couple of weeks of constant overheating(no 'flashes', just constant hot). I read about how sometimes when you go off the combo pill, your insulin levels can be weird as your other systems take over estrogen and general thermostat regulation, so I cut out all the high spiky insulin foods(think sugar and white rice along with the rest of the online lists of foods to avoid) and reduced some caffeine, and the heat problem turned off completely.

Now it has been three months of progesterone only, and I can see my skin aging, and hair growth slowing. I had been having a lot of brain-fog issues the past few years, and those have not changed, sadly. It's very annoying, and I hope that part at least sorts itself out by 60. Bonus and unexpected - my internal base stress level has gone down. It's just easier to cope. I have added rice and sugar back with no problems, and overheating is completely gone. I am sleeping better, although now I have weird little dreams, when I have never been one to remember dreams much at all. I do not have more energy, and some of my hand strength is just gone. Also, mentally, I find I am more detached from things and people, but not in a depressed or destructive way. More the feeling of having a choice about being involved or not, rather than having an immediate reaction (like wanting to scream at the grocery clerk that eye-rolled when asking a valid question).

Hoping I am just done, but it's too soon to tell. I get mild cramping with no period, and some spotting during the week I would have normally had one in the '4th week off' time. But it's too soon to write off periods altogether. I am hoping most of the worst of it was masked during the past 5 years. But...I do have female relatives that didn't hit menopause until 56-65.

One would have thought with half the planet going through this in their lives that there would be more medical study and progress on this in the last 50 years, but apparently no. lol

I think starting a better workout routine and nutrition plan is next on the agenda. Wondering how much of my personality and priority-setting is hormone related. Will be interesting to see who I become now. Maybe my ten year old self has a chance again. :) She was fun.

• PRO
    Pirre Mitchell
    4 years ago

Hey ladies. Went to my gyno yesterday. Hitting 55 in a week and no more BC for me. I am scared shitless about this. When I was younger my mother put me on the pill due to my bad periods. Not only have to worry about that, never used other contraception either. It's going to be a ride.

• Charlie
    4 years ago

At my last annual, my gyno indicated taking me off bc in a year. Fast forward and that appointment is quickly approaching. Recently retired (55) so I finally have time to research my options. This board has been a great start!!! I’m shocked that it dates back so many years and although we are all different, we are all still struggling a bit. Anyway, I’ve been on bc since I was 16, so 40 years this year. Would appreciate tips on any good resources for me to look into to help promote overall understanding and options prior to that next gyno appointment.

• helaurin93
    4 years ago

I'm hearing the same thing, I'm approaching 58 in a few months. My doctor says that I won't get pregnant if I'm not on birth control due to my age. I'm thinking.... "you want to put that in writing?". Just read about a 65-year-old woman who conceived naturally and gave birth. Is my doctor going to chip in with the cost of raising a child if she's wrong? Babysit when I need to go to retirement planning seminars?

She already has me periodically going off the pill for a few months at a time to see if menopause would like to kick in, and there's no sign of menopause yet.

Sponsored