Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cramping? Newbie here

Posted by coriss (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 13:34

Thank goodness I have found this site, and I'm not alone!!!
I'm almost 42 and I'm about 3 weeks late starting my period. I even had a pregnancy test, just to calm my paranoia! (DH had a vasectomy 12 yrs ago, but as my doctor, who is also my employer, said one could always slip through!) Before this I had a period about every 3 weeks, which were heavy and clotty. No hot flashes and not too moody yet! I've been having some cramping off and on, that makes me feel like I'm about to start my period, but then nothing happens. I'm assuming that's normal? Thanks to all of you for the useful information you share here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cramping? Newbie here

Hi coriss,
Have you ever been irregular before? It's probably best to ask your OB/GYN these questions......but I think what starts to happen in perimenopause (and that can happen from late 30's to 50's), is that we start not having enough progesterone. It's progesterone that lets us slough off our uterine lining. Sometimes it builds up too much, and then sloughs off irregularly. Many women during this time have too much bleeding, and also spotting in-between periods.
It seems like if you are cramping, you should be seeing some blood soon. You don't want it to build up too much in there.....'cause it could start bleeding too much. Do you feel at all PMS'y? Do you feel like your uterus is really full?
I don't think I'd worry about it for a little while longer, unless you get really uncomfortable. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here