Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this normal

Posted by pomsarelv (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 13:32

I am almost 49 and have just begun to sometimes have two periods a month, ( as if 1 wasn't bad enough )
Is this a normal menopausal thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this normal

I don't have period anymore due to a partial hyst at a young age, but my understanding is that yes, this is normal for some women. Reportedly, periods can come close together or be spaced months apart as hormone fluctuations occur. Maybe someone who has actual experience like this will chime in. When was your last yearly gyn exam?
Mrs H

o

I just came from the gynecologist with the same problem. I'm scheduled for an ultra sound, to look for polyps or fibroids, she all tested for endometriosis. She's also doing a hormone test to see if I am menopausal...something none of the male gynes would do. (They said if you have symptoms you are) No this isn't normal for long periods of time. In my case it's been over 3 months. I'm also anemic...well duh if you bled so much for so long you would be too. So I'm in for a bunch of tests. Occassionally in the past I'd have 2 periods a month but it would always go back to monthly. By all means if this has been going on for more than a month see your gyne.

BTW I'm also 49 and still having my periods, gyne said the average age now is 52, though many women have perimenopause symptoms way before then.

Hang in there, I look at this way as long as all of my problems can be medically explained as menopausal and not just in my head I'm happy and can live with that.

o

That happened to me too, I think it was when I was about 49. I had an endometrial biopsy to rule out any abnormalities. Then I had a D&C. Things pretty much went back to normal after that. I'm 53 and still get my period, but might skip a month or two every now and then. A couple times I skipped four months.

What you're experiencing isn't unusual, but you should let your gyn know and see what he/she suggests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here