SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

This underarm thing...

karinl
14 years ago

I'm so glad that several posters here have mentioned underarm swelling as a menopausal thing. I have been tormented, so to speak, by my left armpit for a few years, since my late 40s, and have consulted doctors a few times with no answers forthcoming.

The problem has been, interchangeably, a feeling of generalized swelling, and/or an irritation of the skin from contact with my own sweat. Most recently I have a tingling in my arm, as if it were falling asleep, when I sit in certain positions. This I have yet to check with a doctor, but it strikes me as being related to that swelling feeling. And it has always been on only one side.

No doctors have found any swollen nodes nor has anyone been able to explain the irritation, which produces no visible signs - it just feels bad.

At first it seemed to be connected to a bad position at the computer and too much time spent on the wretched thing, and it still is far less likely to bother me at all if I am doing any other activity - perhaps because the arm is moving rather than still.

For the irritation, I've tried various types of creams on it, with indifferent success, I've tried shaving/not shaving, and deodorant/no deodorant, no difference. When it's really bad I literally have to keep my arm up off my side so the armpit gets air circulation - uncomfortable and not always suave!

I do keep it at the forefront of things I mention to doctors when I see them, in case it is a symptom of some other alarming condition, but since others have mentioned the swelling it does seem likely to be a menopausal symptom. The intermittent nature of my symptoms does suggest it's not a progressive disease and that it might be related to a cycle of some sort.

So I thought I would start a thread about underarm problems specifically as I would be interested in hearing how others experience them.

KarinL

Comments (13)

Sponsored