Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stopped HRT and now periods started??

Posted by kel3 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:56

I was put on vivelle dot and prometrium (daily--no off days) 2 years ago for menopausal symptoms. I was still having sporadic periods but blood work showed I was "post" menopausal--I'm 48 yrs old with a family history of early menopause. After a few months I quit having periods all together (for a total of 10 months). At the 10 month mark, I developed extremely sore/tender breasts. In doing some research, one of the things I found is that it can be caused by too much estrogen. That scared me! I decided to go off all HRT. After 3 weeks of being off, I had a period--I was so surprised! Now, a month later, I am having another period (very heavy).

So now I'm wondering, was the HRT keeping me from having periods--is this why they stopped altogether? Should I have been taking a break from the prometrium (my doctor kept insisting I didn't need to). I'm so confused about it all now and my doctor doesn't seem to be really knowledgable about HRT as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any insight any of you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stopped HRT and now periods started??

I was taking .9 Premarin and medroxyprogesterone for 1 and 1/2 years and my doctor stopped the medroxyprogesterone for 10 weeks due to my weepiness. My hot flashes returned, so I was instructed to take the medroxyprogesterone again. Took for 10 days and now having a heavy period after not having had one for 3 years. Can anyone help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here