Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perimenopause pains

Posted by Rudo41 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 9:08

Im 41 years old and have a problem as I feel like Im about to lose it.I suffer from anxiety and believe that I started having the perimenopause symptoms when I was 35 but nobody told me.So I have been suffering with all kinds of symptoms,insomnia,high blood pressure,pains everywhere,neck sensations,numbness,stomachache,backache,side pains headaches, to the point that Im afraid to go to the doctor(I have white coat syndrome) as they tell me Im stressed and prescribe antidepressants which help but I hate to be depended on them.I decided to go the natural way so I have a herbalist who prescribes my BP medicine and recently she put me on a natural prescription for hormonal imbalance.I also take sage tea for anxiety.

My problem is that I had internal tremors two weeks ago and my legs kind of have started having weird sensations,and my lower back has a kind of weird sensation as well as in my chest area.It scares me.My anxiety has gone over the roof and I cant sleep.My periods have completely changed and I have the most terrible period pains.I have vivid dreams and intrusive thoughts that scare me.I have been experiencing a lot of stress of late(I lost my mother in law who I lived with for 16 years,husband business closed,have food to buy and school fees to pay on a small salary).Im a black working mother of 4 and feel bad that sometimes I dont have energy to play with my daughter who is 3.I sometimes think of the worst and dont understand why I feel up and down.I tried asking my mum about menopause all said is that she suffered and had to go to a doctor.Im the only girl in my family so I dont have anyone to turn to.Im desperate and need advice.

i started on a tincture mixture of dong quai,yarrow,ginger,lemon balm,dandelion,motherwort,goku kola.I have been on it for two weeks and would like to know if anyone has used it and when I should see results.Im sick and tired of being sick and tired.I just want my life back.I used to be so independent and full of life now every small thing just overwhelms me and I cant even plan anything without getting a flutter in my stomach and feel an anxiety attack.Would appreciate any advice on how to get better sleep and what can I take to relieve the pains in my legs do you think its nerves that were affected after I had the tremors? Also my libido is at zero what can I use for it?And today I have dry mouth as I feel so nervous and depressed(my neighbour just passed away and was buried this morning).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perimenopause pains

I feel your pain and the reason I came back here today is because I am feeling similar to how you are feeling. Insomnia, nausea, gerd, anxiety, extremely irritable and just plain tired. I just went to my OBGY and went for some tests because of fibroids related to peri. One thing she did for me was call the local Apothecary and had them whip up some natural progesterone. That is suppose to help with the insomnia and anxiety.
All i can tell you is to try and stay positive. I know it is hard but our bodies are going through some big changes now and hopefully it won't take too long to get through it. If you know that there is nothing wrong with you and what you are feeling is normal right now.

It sounds to me like you are not putting yourself first. You can't be good for your kids if you aren't taking care of yourself too. Can you find time to exercise, go for a walk, anything physical? That has also helped me a lot, especially with the blood pressure. Guilt doesn't do anyone any good so try to stay positive. Your children know you love them, you are working and doing the best you can now try to meet and think about what YOU need for a change.

o

Thanx Tina for your reply.I know I havent been putting myself first.I think at this time in our life we tend to get issues that come and remind us that we need to slow down and take care of ourselves, which is what Im trying to do,which is difficult for someone who is a go-getter!My naturopath told me to stop the mixture I mentioned in my previous post because it was making me feel spacey and out of sorts.I have been detoxing with water since I stopped taking the tincture mixture on Monday and yesterday I started on some herbal supplements which are for women with nutritional deficiencies in menopause and which help with depression,anxiety,hot flashes and insomnia.Im keeping my fingers crossed that this might ease some of the symptoms that I have.I have heard a lot of good things about them,the supplements(Lady Eve) have calcium,magnesium,black cohosh,cranberry,red clover,shavegrass, selenium and of course dong quai.All the things we are told we need during this time.

Thanx again for letting me vent.I needed that as you know dear hubby does not understand and none of my friends are going through this.

Tina would you know if the tingling and weird sensations in my legs could be perimenopause related? Its just unsettling.

o

I have heard of other women getting the weird "tingling sensations" before. Some get in throughout their whole body and I have also heard of it happening as a strange feeling inside their head as well. Some women get the feeling that bugs are crawling on them as well. Honestly, since I have been going through this I have heard of every symptom and nothing would surprise me. I am pretty sure I started in my mid thirties and never put two and two together until lately. It's as if nothing is off limits as far as peri-menopause is concerned.
The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that it actually IS peri and it will eventually be over someday!!

o

Rudo41
I've had the weird symptoms just like you. I'm on a bio-identical hormone program and am hypothyroid. I also have had problems with adrenal fatigue. These are all things that need to be addressed as we age and have syptoms such as you describe.
Please go to www.bioidenticalhormones101.com this is a book online that gives a good overview of cause effect and solutions for the problems you are having.
Good luck and God Bless

o
RE: Finally saw a gynocologist!

After a frightening week of panic attacks and spiking BP I saw a gynocologist who confirmed that Im in the throes of perimenopause, he said my uterus has shrunk but because of my high blood pressure he cant put me on HRT.He gave me nefidipine for BP. and I also saw a shrink who put me on sedative revotril. she also gave me zooloft although my pharmacist hasnt got it yet.what do you ladies think.Im at my wits end.I will be seeing the shrink weekly to address my anxiety attacks. Any one feeling the same and ideas on coping.I must say Im sleeping for more hours although stil concerned about my legs.although doctor said dont worry.

o

Hello Rudu41, I think you are on the right track. Now that your dr. has confirmed you are in perimenopause, you know that many of the physical and emotional symptoms you've been having are tied into the impact of hormonal changes on your body. I have had the issue with legs feeling wierd and it freaked me out. The way I handled it was, I would get up and move -- go on a brisk walk, start vacuuming, run up the steps, anything just to stop the anxiety I was feeling in its tracks. You will find that your legs work fine. It's important that you distract your mind from focusing on the wierd feelings. The Zoloft should help with this, but if it doesn't, let your dr. know so that the dose can be adjusted or medication changed. Things will get better, you need to take this phase of life one day at a time. At the end of each day, make a list of the good things that happened, no matter how small. The shrink is good for managing your meds, but you might benefit from having a good therapist to talk to -- a licensed counselor who has specific experience in women's issues. It will help you to be able to express everything that's been weighing on your mind. Remember, you're not alone, there are many of us walking this same path, with all the scary and wierd feelings. But we will get through this!! I am so sorry about the people in your life whom you recently lost. God will send you new people who will add peace and joy to your life. Life is all about change, we just have to keep the faith and know the hard times will get better. Please keep us updated on how you are feeling!

o
RE: Finally saw a gynocologist!

Hie Paulas2cents.Im grateful for this forum because it has brought new people I can relate to and confide in.I just lost a sister in law yesterday and I had terrible anxiety attacks today in the morning.Im feeling better now as its nearly time to knock off at work.I didnt take anything for the attacks.Im learning new things everyday about my body.My town does not have zoloft can you believe it so I have to order in South Africa.I will ask the doctor what to use in the meantime.Thanks for listening and keep trucking!

I find that first thing in the morning when I wake I get jittery around 6am do you think I should take my morning revotril at that time?

o

Hi Rudo41, I just wanted to make a quick post to you but I'll be back later with more to say :D I saw this on a "drug information site and thought of you:

"It is important to tell your doctor if you have recently suffered a loss or bereavement, for example the death of a close friend or relative, before taking this medicine. Benzodiazepines such as this one can affect the way you adjust psychologically to events like this."

o

Hi Rudo, hope youare feeling somewhat better, at least you know you are not alone in all this since I am another one of perimenopausal sufferers. All the symptom you described plus heavy prolonged bleeding that send my just recovered hemoglobin count down to anemia levels. Its like being a yo-yo, up and down. As for the supplements I did ask Dong Uia but it sends my anxiety through the roof so I had to stop it. I found Evening Primrose oil to work for bleeding but not always, good multivitamin is a must as is high iron dose (for me at least since I bleed a lot). I dont know how long I can deal with this but I hope it ends soon because I am exhausted, literally. But in truth, if you manage to handle your anxiety, many of your symptomss will ease up. I can reassure you that yuou are not having heart attack or dying. Its just body's response to all the exacerbated stimuli body receives and is confused as to whats happening. I managed my anxiety and palpitations to a bearable level and it helps a lot. I only hope the bleeding will stop as well, at some point, since my doc offers no help or relief but to send me for a hysterectomy, which I refused. Hope you feel better soon! hugs :)

o
RE: Exhausted but feeling somewhat better!!

Hie sisters

Well I have been taking revotril and BP medicine for a week now and I must say I feel somewhat better although the high temperatures this side drain me. Im sleeping for longer but just get the morning flutter in the stomach around 5am.The leg feeling is still there although I now stretch and rotate my feet while Im in bed before getting up.I feel I have changed so much in just a few weeks or is it months.Today my 8 year old refused to go to school and I got so upset and shouted at him. I left him home with instructions to the babysitter that he cleans his room and does chores coz there is no reason to refuse to go to school.I told my mum who then made me feel bad by saying Im not sensitive to his rights!She said I get these outbursts of anger which she doesnt understand where they come from.How is that for a revelation first thing in the morning.
Im hesitant to use zoloft and will be seeing the shrink on Thursday so I will talk to her then.I also believe that managing my anxiety and panic attacks as well as sleeping a bit better helps.I will keep you posted on my visit to the gyno this week.sending you all hugs and love. Rudo

o

Hey, glad you are feeling little better, as for the irritability, the family could ease up on you a bit too,but it wont happen I know, you are just trying to function. I was on Alaprazolam(Xanax) for the acute panic attacks but since I loathe pills I rather use my relaxation technique and routines for alleviating anxiety so I stopped taking those. I am not sure if Zoloft will help, it might, but I always worry about side-effects, they help one thing and mess up another...you do what feels good to you. I started probiotics and that helped my funky indigestion, which got messed up from iron supplements which I must take on daily basis. Did you try drinking valerianna tea? There is a whole array of soothing relaxation teas you can try taking in the evening, hot or cold ( I prefer hot). I drink that around 9 and by 10 I am pleasantly sleepy , enough to doze off quickly and without worrying if y anxiety might drop in for a visit. :P Have a great day and hang in there, you can do this! :) hugs

o
RE: Relaxation techniques!

Hie dzejna

You mentioned relaxation techniques please let me know more.My body seemed to be uptight although I walk a lot.My new problem is feet that swell and legs especially in the late morning and afternoon.In the mornings they are fine but come later on. Im a secretary so I spend time typing and at the computer.Any suggestions on what to do to relive this.?

o

Hi Rudo, hope you are doing ok. Yes, you really need to get up every now and then, even to just go to restroom and take a stretch. I work with a computer a lot and my shoulders get so tense they hurt if i forget to stretch. Once I get home I have to do a little bit of tai Chi and that helps a lot. Any slow, measured movement will do, you dont have to know Tai Chi. But on the other hand, it sounds like you have something else going on, do you use a lot of salt in your diet? Seems your body is retaining water a lot, which can be normal if you sit a lot but I see you also have elevated BP, so that could be the culprit, is BP under control?. Lay off caffeine and try herbal teas. I know you said you walk a lot but don't overdo it, take a break sometimes and do different kind of exercise, like bike (recumbent one is great for leg circulation and nice cardio, plus saves your back). Key word is moderation. :) With our messed up metabolism its very easy to overdo and I find that is never a good thing. Strenuous exercise is as easy to bring on anxiety attack as any other kind of stress so we have to find a way to mellow. :) let me know if I can help with anythign else. Have a wonderful day, hugs :)

o
RE: Saw psychiatrist this morning1

Well managed to see the shrink today and she said I should continue with the revotril and we will see in a month's time if I need anything else.She agreed that the zooloft was expensive and hard to get and said as long as Im getting some sleep its okay.She said I should also take 2 B-complex tablets as this also helps with food for the brain as she puts it.Any foods I can eat to help in the brain department.

o

After numerous nights with no sleep I tried melatonin and it did work. It seemed to re-set my sleeping pattern so I wasn't so wide awake at night. I am not sure if this was a trouble for you but i see you mentioned sleep so I just wanted to let you know.

o

On Friday it was a hot day but temperatures have been terrible this side. Anywhere I started feeling this backache or feeling rise at my back during lunchtime and by 4pm I SAID TO MY BOSS PLEASE DROP ME OFF AT MY GYNO.The gyno found my BP HASNT REALLY CHANGED MUCH FROM THE MEDS HE GAVE ME AND SO HE CHANGED IT TO enalapril.I also did a womb cancer test which came back negative so doctor cant understand. do they ever understand the way we feel. saturday I was feeling terrible then sunday I was snapping at everyone.Please ladies is this normal or should I ask the gyno to put me on hrt coz I dont know me anymore.battling with depression and negative thoughts. this menopause thing sure is c**p.

o

Hi Rudo, that sounds like anxiety attack to me, to be honest..it can star from the back or more commonly, from your abdominal region and creeps up to the head. I dont really think you have something life threatening going on just tremendous amount of anxiety pent up. Maybe you should also consult with the doc about the Revotril, you might be having side effects, plus ask her what else you can do because you obviously need more help in that department. I dont think this is caused by your BP meds. Do you have someone to talk to about things? It might help if you could join yoga or pilates class somewhere, Gardening did wonders for me. :) Look for more relaxation techniques,pick a hobby? Aromatherapy is wonderful, cup of warm herbal tea to calm down before bedtime. Relaxation cd with muswic or rain, waves sound. I have a whole routine as you can see, that helps me on a daily basis, depends on how I feel. What do you like? Stay busy. Do you have pets? Walk the dog? Its amazing how little things can make a difference. And yes fight the negative thoughts and urges but dont overstress over it, they will pass and you will be ok. Hugs :)

o

Hi dzejna
Yesterday I had a review with a standby doctor the gyno was busy at the hospitals. he said my bp was going down little by little so we monitor it and he said I was describing symptoms of menopause and he said if the bp continues to do so they may consider hrt.encouraged exercise vigorously like running not flop on the couch.he made me laugh when he said when his mum was going through menopause everyone would run away from her and leave her in the room alone coz she would be ranting and raving.He said one minute we can be laughing together the next the mood will change.

I used to like reading but its been years.Im always busy running around with the kids and tend to overstress on the negative especially when Im going through a stressful time.Thanks for letting me vent.

o

Hey Rudo hope you are doing better, did not see any follow ups recently. I am unfortunatelly back on the table, bleeding a lot and passing huge clots, pale a sa ghost. Im really scared this time especially since my doctor wants to do biopsy and eventually DC this week and I amd really terrified of it. Sometimes I wonder what did I do to deserve all this suffering. :P Wish me luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here